Home Technical Talk

Seeing a alternative to UVing in Maya

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
I've been having issues with Maya's UV texture editor for some time. As I mentioned elsewhere, selecting UVs, edges, faces or whatever else in the viewer takes upwards of five seconds and frequently longer. This is on a clean mesh - any mesh, imported freshly into a new scene. No history, no texture, no reason to slow things down. I've tried everything I can think of up to and including going through a bunch of different graphics card drivers and upgrading to an entirely new version of Maya (2011 to 2012). Nothing seems to have any effect. I've hunted about on the internet extensively but have only come across one other problem suffering a similar problem with no solution. Autodesk aren't any help because I'm using a gaming graphics card instead of one of the expensive, fancy pants workstation ones.

So long story short, I'm ready to chalk this up as some kind of irredeemable hardware conflict (Radeon cards are notoriously finicky with Maya) and look for something else to UV with. I'd be interested to hear of any suggestions for UV mapping apps - I don't really want to have to install an entirely new package just for one aspect of modelling.

Alternatively if you've got any suggestions on how to make Maya function the way it's supposed to I'd be ever so grateful.

Replies