Home Technical Talk

3ds to CE3 : export issues

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
Hi,

I have an issue with the exporter from 3ds Max to CryEngine 3 SDK.
I have an object I couldn't export to ".cgf" format due to a "degenerated faces at some locations". I couldn't find the "Select Degenerate Face Script" anywhere on the folders.
Any help would be greatly appreciate! Thank you!

3ds2CE3.png

Replies

• Bunglo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bunglo polycounter lvl 13
    This is being caused by multiple vertices sharing the same coordinates. Your best bet would be to select all your verts and slowly up the weld distance in the weld options until the vert count decreases. Though with a mesh like the one in the screen, you may want to split it back up into it's main elements and weld the problem verts to decrease the chance of welding verts you still need.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    You see the button "Select Faces" at the bottom of the error window. That's the script.

BTW, it's best to convert to an Editable Mesh, select all vertices, change the weld threshold to .01, and hit Weld. You'll notice the vertex count decrease.

Then convert back to Editable Poly, go into vertex mode, and hit "Remove Isolated Vertices" and "Remove Unused Map Verts"
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Have you set the units to meters? the exporter tends to rate meshes as too small if you use cm or max units from my experience and merges all those verts.
  • tadpole3159
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
    I had this error as well, when you click on select faces nothing happens. so I go into face selection mode and max crashes. try it and see what happens for you

FYI my units are set to meters
  • WhiteNorthStar
    ok, here is how I got mine to work

Make sure your model is an editable mesh for the STL Check

When after you run the STL Check, it will tell you how many errors there are, then collapse the STL modifier into the stack, then go to edge subobject mode and hit delete... this will delete the edges chosen by the STL check.

man, I love CryENGINE but this was really annoying :-D
  • Refuse2lose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a few models this is starting to happen to me. Once the error message appears, I go to click to find the faces, and max crashes - every single time.

The weld idea isnt working on my model. I receive a prompt from max that no vertices were within range.

Is there another way to identify the face? This one has me really stumped.

Running pre-export callback...
    Exporting to:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis 2 Limited Edition\Crysis Engine 3\Game\Objects\Vietnam Crysis Objects\HastingsTemple_m2\hastingstemple_m2.cgf

hastingstemple_m2: Node's mesh has some degenerate texture coordinates
    proxy: Node's mesh has some degenerate texture coordinates
    Processing "hastingstemple_m2.cgf" using ResourceCompiler...
    Failed to compile geometry in node 'hastingstemple_m2' in file C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis 2 Limited Edition\Crysis Engine 3\Game\Objects\Vietnam Crysis Objects\HastingsTemple_m2\$tmp_hastingstemple_m2.cgf - CalculateTangentSpace() failed, fix model.

ErrorCode:3

Vertices 0,1,2 lays on the same line v0:(-0.212080 : -0.175035 : 0.090495) v1:(-0.212080 : -0.213644 : 0.090495) v2:(-0.212080 : -0.252254 : 0.090495)
    Vertices 0,1,2 lays on the same line v0:(-0.212080 : -0.252254 : 0.090495) v1:(-0.212080 : -0.136425 : 0.090495) v2:(-0.212080 : -0.175035 : 0.090495)

Reason: three vertices of a face are laying on the same line. Run the Select Degenerate Faces Script and fix any highlighted vertices.

Failed to process geometry file C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis 2 Limited Edition\Crysis Engine 3\Game\Objects\Vietnam Crysis Objects\HastingsTemple_m2\$tmp_hastingstemple_m2.cgf. Try to re-export the file. If it not helps - contact an RC programmer.
    Failed to convert file C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis 2 Limited Edition\Crysis Engine 3\Game\Objects\Vietnam Crysis Objects\HastingsTemple_m2\$tmp_hastingstemple_m2.cgf
    RC failed to process file:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis 2 Limited Edition\Crysis Engine 3\Game\Objects\Vietnam Crysis Objects\HastingsTemple_m2\$tmp_hastingstemple_m2.cgf

Export failed.
  • Refuse2lose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well i can tell you i hate ce3 for this issue with high poly meshes.

Seems the weld solution noted above doesnt work for me as max cant find any vertices within the threshold. I have tried to import 2 helos and Im closing to giving this away due to the ridiculousness of the engine not allowing a mesh thats fine (not perfect) to be exported.
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    I have the same issue, and can't figure out how to resolve it.
    Running pre-export callback...
    Exporting file per node.

column_01: saving to C:\Users\Dim\Desktop\CryEngine3\Game\Objects\static_asset\column_01.cgf
    render_mesh: Node's mesh has some degenerate texture coordinates
    Processing "column_01.cgf" using ResourceCompiler...
    Failed to compile geometry in node 'render_mesh' in file C:\Users\Dim\Desktop\CryEngine3\Game\Objects\static_asset\$tmp_column_01.cgf -  CalculateTangentSpace() failed, fix model.

ErrorCode:3

Vertices 0,1,2 lie on the same line v0:(-0.272596 : 0.006420 : 2.318205) v1:(-0.272596 : 0.000000 : 2.318205) v2:(-0.272596 : -0.006421 : 2.318205)

Reason: three vertices of a face are laying on the same line. Run the Select Degenerate Faces Script and fix any highlighted vertices.

Failed to process geometry file C:\Users\Dim\Desktop\CryEngine3\Game\Objects\static_asset\$tmp_column_01.cgf. Try to re-export the file. If it not helps - contact an RC programmer.
    Failed to convert file C:\Users\Dim\Desktop\CryEngine3\Game\Objects\static_asset\$tmp_column_01.cgf
    RC failed to process file:
        C:\Users\Dim\Desktop\CryEngine3\Game\Objects\static_asset\$tmp_column_01.cgf

Failed to export following nodes:
    column_01: C:\Users\Dim\Desktop\CryEngine3\Game\Objects\static_asset\column_01.cgf
    Export failed.

• ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Vertices 0,1,2 lie on the same line

It's the case of a bad triangulation either done by you for not caring enough about the triangulation of the mesh or by max at triangle creation (or can happen with symmetry modifier):

temp11.jpg
  • eng.akhalifa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the below video show how to solve this kind of problems
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjsQZ2SUovA&feature=em-upload_owner"]export car model from 3D Max to CryEngine part 1 - YouTube[/ame]