Home General Discussion

Character Artist using Cintiq.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Fuse polycounter lvl 18
I am just curious. How many of you character monkeys use Cintiq's regularly these days? Quite a few fellas here have them and since I've always been curious I figure I'd ask.

Anyone used it and ended up going back to a regular Intuos.

Reason I am asking is over the years I've found I prefer larger format tablets so perhaps a jump onto 1:1 cintiq would be a positive upgrade ?

Anyone else in the same boat ?

Replies

• Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    I use a Cintiq at home and at work. I first used one when joining Irrational, totally changed my life and encouraged me to get one for home.
  • Vorge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vorge polycounter lvl 18
    I use one at work and at home as well. I've been using it for almost four years now and really could never go back to a tablet. I never felt comfortable with tablets to begin with, but once I tried a cintiq it completely changed how comfortable I was with digital artwork.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use tablets.

I tried using a Cintiq but couldn't get over the visual disconnect between the pen tip and the photoshop cursor.

Trying one out made me very happy I didn't buy one. Maybe one day, but not right now.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Im an enviro artist/lighter and have one at work. I find it awesome for doing textures and sculpting stuff in ZB. also comes in handy for doing lighting paintovers, a tablet works good too but I love working directly on the image/model on the screen. all the character artists here at relic have one and they seem to be inseparable from them.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    I've used Cintiq 12WX for some months last year but eventually sold it and went for an Intuos4 tablet (had an Intuos3 prior to getting the Cintiq). Very glad I did!

p.s. Cintiqs won't make you a better artist.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    I have been using regular tablets for years, each time upgrading to a larger surface area, hence a cintiq seems like a logical step forward.

My question was more regarding usability and personal preference since it seems like quite a jump from a tablet to working directly on the display.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would strongly suggest you try one before you buy one.
  • Vorge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vorge polycounter lvl 18
    I would agree with Jesse. Some people just don't like working on one and also with their price it's hard to pay out and find out you don't like it. I was never good with drawing "down" and looking forward at my monitors, I always felt like it was horribly disconnected and it really bothered me. I feel with the cintiq it's more natural to put stylus to screen and draw where the pen hits. It's really personal preference. Where as I don't believe it "makes you better" I do believe being more comfortable with your tools is a very important part of increasing work quality.
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It won't take you long to get used to working directly on the screen. Is your work area big enough to accommodate for the size of the Cintiq? (I imagine you want to go for the 21UX version) But as Jesse said, you really should try one out first before making a decision if possible.

I personally had trouble working on the Cintiq I once had. Used to get a pretty bad neck strain from looking down at the screen for too long. That is not the case with everyone, obviously. Just something to keep in mind.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah our workstations are plenty big and very well equipped. Everyone has their displays on articulated arms which is very handy to swivel and pivot the displays, so I'd just mount it on an arm for maximum flexibility. I see a lot of guys rest them on the desk at an angle but I am not sure looking down is comfortable for me.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    To be honest, I preferred my tablet over working with a cintiq (and my tablet isn't even a Wacom, just a cheap Genius one). Having to keep my arm up, having my hand in front of my screen, it taking up so much desk space - felt pretty negative.

Though, I only used it about half a dozen times at school, maybe 15 or 30 minutes at a time. So not really used it for an extended time.

But what I did experience was that (because of using a mouse, and my own tablet for a while) I was already used to the disconnect between screen and tablet, and as such the Cintiq didn't "fix" any problem.
    Fuse wrote: »
    I see a lot of guys rest them on the desk at an angle but I am not sure looking down is comfortable for me.

Neither is keeping your arm up, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touchscreen#Gorilla_arm
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 19
    Having one mounted on those ergotron arms is a good idea, BUT i would still set it down, its pretty heavy and it bounces alot if you try to draw on it. Imagine an easel with a bounce to it, not the best way to do it.

The one i have at work is laid down at an angle, no legs just the arm mount, so its almost like its part of the desk, I guess just like a drawing table. And then i've got the keyboard tucked in to the left, halfway underneath the cintiq and a second screen right infront of the keyboard for reference and email and other important stuff.

pros: Its awesome for drawing and painting, feels much more natural and rewarding and you just want to do it. The people who talk about lag or disconnect are people who haven't used one for more than 30 minutes. I brought in my tablet because I wasn't sure I was going to like it and after about a week I took the tablet home because it was gathering dust.

cons: Its a big bulky thing, so getting it situated in a place thats comfortable is a challenge.
    Its also a larger surface, which is good in a way, but bad because you are actually physically moving your hand alot more. Not only can that be more tiring, but modeling can also be a bit slower because you can't move around quite as quickly. Thats not a huge deal, but it is something to be aware of.
    Another thing you should think about is getting some kind of protecting thingy for the screen, mine has gotten so scratched in the middle that the image is actually slightly blurry.

Those are just some things to keep in mind. Overall I'd say the pros outweigh the cons, but these things sure are expensive.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hello there, very interesting thread.

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with it. I have been using them for about 3 years now, both at home (12incher, sold back, then 21UX gray) and at work (currently on a 21UX black).

The pros have all been listed above - It simply is one step closer to natural media, and certainly makes some tasks up to 2x faster. I find that the biggest positive impact of it is for digital sculpting. It really takes Mudbox to another level, it feels fantastic. I've been using it for 2D, 3D sculpting, and 3D modeling, and overall all these tasks become faster with it.

However it takes quite a bit of tinkering to get it to work intuitively - be prepared to have to rebuild some of your brushes to accommodate the Cintiq "feel". I haven't done much oldschool material texturing lately, but I do know that I have a hard time "rendering" on the Cintiq, as opposed to a regular tablet. On one hand it is more gestural and intuitive, therefore great for loose concept work ; but on the other hand, you miss the "pixel perfect" accuracy and creamy pressure sensitivity that regular tablets have. The surface is also smoother than of Intuoses - akin to painting on a piece of acrylic or glass, as opposed to the paper/gesso-like surface that regular tablets have. Good for painting big strokes, but sometimes odd for lineart work. So again - make sure to try one out for a few days to see for yourself.

It's also good to mention that you will likely hate it for about week before getting used to it. Everyone I know went through that phase that Vi mentionned. (BTW, I still don't get how you managed to scratch yours so badly, that's crazy!)

To me their biggest inherent downside is that they tend to make one work quite "close to the image". Artistically it can be a problem, because it can make you loose awareness of the broader rhythms of an image. Cloning the PS document to another zoomed out window can help. Obviously this is not a big deal for UV texturing., but it can be annoying for illustration work.

Now I think there is another important issue to consider : health and RSI. Regular tablets tend to make one use a strong wrist "grip" for accuracy, and that's pretty bad; Cintiqs prevent that ... at the cost of eyestrain. It might not be obvious at first, but staring at screen for hours can only be a bad thing, especially a few inches away. This story has been passed around recently, some serious food for thought :

http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/2011/11/my-left-eye.html

Now of course there is no way to know if this could happen to other users. But still, that's something to think about. Some helpful tips in the comments too.

Some Cintiq users complain about the heat it emits, especially in an office with computers. Indeed, it can be annoying. I have a vertical tower fan next to it when needed to prevent the issue. The cursor "depth" alignment can be a problem to some users too. I find that this really depends on the kind of work being done.

Lag is extremely minimal, to a point that it really has no impact on the work whatsoever. I personally don't notice it anymore, but I know it is there, since I recently showed the Cintiq and Intuos tablet to a non-CG artist friend who had an interest in trying them out - she instantly noticed a cursor lag, both on the Cintiq and an Intuos. Interesting :)

(On a side note, I am personally waiting patiently for RGB e-ink displays to become mass produced - A Cintiq with that kind of screen would be waaaay more relaxing.)
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Cintiq at work, Tablet at home. I enjoy them both.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Pior - Just read that article you posted... that is nuts, but incredibly informative. By any chance have you had any of those symptoms? How do you reduce eye strain? Do you work with glasses?
  • seven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seven polycounter lvl 13
    Cintiq at work, Tablet at home. Both are pretty much equal in my eyes. The cursor disconnect and lag some talk about never really bothered me and anchoring your elbow to a surface while you draw helps with gorilla arm. As some have said, try one before you buy one.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Nope, no crazy symptoms like her (I suppose she used to work with her nose on the screen - something I actively avoid) but at the end of a work day the fatigue can be pretty obvious. Maybe not much more than after a regular day at a regular computer tho ... but I think it's still worth being careful :)

I toned the brightness of mine way down (not ideal obviously, but still, something to try out), and I sometimes wear Gunnar glasses (just did today ! They look super cool too hehe).

But overall there's not much we can do, right ...
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    pior wrote: »
    Some Cintiq users complain about the heat it emits, especially in an office with computers. Indeed, it can be annoying. I have a vertical tower fan next to it when needed to prevent the issue.

A former colleague of mine used single-use gloves made of cloth to prevent getting burned by the cintiq. I think he cut off the tips of the glove fingers for better comfort. They got dirty pretty quickly though.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    i'm behind of a cintiq 24HD (very expensive! ~2100 euros!), but i see this hardware more aimed for illustrators than for a character artist. With an intuos i think we have more than enough to work very well.

I use an intuos for work and almost for all, 3dsmax, modo, photoshop, Zbrush, Autocad, solidworks, etc.

Using a cintiq with apps that requires too many shortcut keys like modo or max, it's not very ergonomic and at the end you will have problems (due to the keyboard position). I would use the cintiq just for Zbrush or painting, and always using the buttons on the cintiq and nothing more.

wacom_cintiq_24hd.jpg

This one does not need any ergonomic add-on, and it's 1920x1200.

And, for the heat, and the issues with finger prints, you can buy especial gloves designed for cintiqs.

My recommendation is DO NOT buy this thing unless if you need it! Try one first because they have imput lag, and it's not like to be drawing on a paper.
    http://cgterminal.com/2011/09/13/wacom-cintiq-24hd-hands-on/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwFZjdvf-R8&feature=youtu.be
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Loved using my 12wx for sculpting, but as the years went by monitors started becoming bigger, better and cheaper...I stopped using it. It's just too hot and clunky to work with, and the color accuracy just doesn't cut it anymore.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    i love photoshop on my big black cintiq

never going back
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I usually with my cintiq upright like you would with an easel so I don't have any issues with heat or shortcuts. As far as color, I was able to calibrate it pretty close with a calibration tool although it did push its settings to the limit.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I use tablets.

I tried using a Cintiq but couldn't get over the visual disconnect between the pen tip and the photoshop cursor.

Trying one out made me very happy I didn't buy one. Maybe one day, but not right now.

I don't agree with you in the slightest, with this. But only because everyone has the same problem when they try a tablet for the very first time. There is a disconnect. People are use to looking at the paper, not the screen.

I feel its like any new tool. It's going to take a bit to master, so a simple 5 minute test wont help (though, admittedly, I dont know how long you tested it, Jesse). If you can borrow one for a week or something, that would be better, Im sure and give you a better test.

But as always, it comes down to personal preference.
  • eyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eyo polycounter lvl 9
    At work i am rocking a 21ux with an ergotron arm so I can still use the keyboard underneath (I even use it standing sometimes). Really comfy to work on even in 3dsmax, though the arm does bounce a little bit so it is not for everyone. Thanks for posting that article on eye strain Pior, I really need to think more about that.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Gav wrote: »
    I use a Cintiq at home and at work.

tumblr_lmqxrf4hNa1qhn2ye.gif

actually,

I'm so jeaaaaalous!:poly136:
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius wrote: »
    I don't agree with you in the slightest, with this. But only because everyone has the same problem when they try a tablet for the very first time. There is a disconnect. People are use to looking at the paper, not the screen.

I feel its like any new tool. It's going to take a bit to master, so a simple 5 minute test wont help (though, admittedly, I dont know how long you tested it, Jesse). If you can borrow one for a week or something, that would be better, Im sure and give you a better test.

But as always, it comes down to personal preference.

Well another issue I had with it was after using a tablet for the better part of 12 years, I no longer like having my hand obscure part of the image as I draw. When I use a tablet, I can see the full image all at once without having to move my hands.
    I haven't drawn on paper in about 11 years btw. (with the occasional sketch here and there) I've also grown accustom to looking straight on at my drawings, not having my head tilted to see around my hand. Just feels like my perspective is off.

I did play with one for about an hour. Not as long as many suggest I should try it, and maybe one day I will give it another shot.

I really like the idea of a cintiq, I just don't think the tech is there yet for me personally.

As I said before, the physical distance between the pen tip and the cursor on screen freaks me out. It makes me feel not as accurate as with a tablet. I tried to mess with the settings to find something I was comfortable with, but I had no success.

Another factor about me not liking it was that I was trying to sketch in Photoshop. I hate sketching in Photoshop in general. I'm a Painter guy when it comes to sketching. I'll have to try Painter with one next time I get the opportunity.

A bunch of little nit picks, but if I'm going to shell out as much money as they cost, I figure I have to have no doubts about it.

Currently, I have no problems creating my art with my setup and I'm ok with that.

The one big thing that I want a cintiq for is the ability to physically rotate my canvas because the rotate canvas tool in Photoshop sucks, especially compared to Painter's.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    I really like the idea of a cintiq, I just don't think the tech is there yet for me personally.

Need transparent arms! :poly124:

I've been on the fence of buying a cintiq for years (cost, space, activity level), think I'm finally ready to hop off!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    got a cintiq for work a few years ago, can't go back. It's like going from no tablet to a tablet to me.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Well another issue I had with it was after using a tablet for the better part of 12 years, I no longer like having my hand obscure part of the image as I draw. When I use a tablet, I can see the full image all at once without having to move my hands.
    I haven't drawn on paper in about 11 years btw. (with the occasional sketch here and there) I've also grown accustom to looking straight on at my drawings, not having my head tilted to see around my hand. Just feels like my perspective is off.

I did play with one for about an hour. Not as long as many suggest I should try it, and maybe one day I will give it another shot.

As I said before, the physical distance between the pen tip and the cursor on screen freaks me out. It makes me feel not as accurate as with a tablet. I tried to mess with the settings to find something I was comfortable with, but I had no success.

Another factor about me not liking it was that I was trying to sketch in Photoshop. I hate sketching in Photoshop in general. I'm a Painter guy when it comes to sketching. I'll have to try Painter with one next time I get the opportunity.

A bunch of little nit picks, but if I'm going to shell out as much money as they cost, I figure I have to have no doubts about it.

Currently, I have no problems creating my art with my setup and I'm ok with that.

The one big thing that I want a cintiq for is the ability to physically rotate my canvas because the rotate canvas tool in Photoshop sucks, especially compared to Painter's.

Yup, makes sense. Its really personal preference. In the other tablet thread going on right now, someone said they still use a mouse and keyboard because it works for that. Whatever works for you is what it comes down to. I've never actually used a cintiq, but I would love to try one. I don't do enough art that would benefit from one to justify getting one though. Mostly animation, which even a tablet is useless for. ButIi still have a tablet for the other stuff, even if it's few and far between.

@Fuse, it really comes down to whether or not YOU think it could improve your workflow / ability. And whether or not YOU can afford it. You either think its worth it or you dont. From what I've heard, everyone that owns one swears by them. Ask to use one at work on a lunch hour? See if you like it, or could possible like it if used more?
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »
    got a cintiq for work a few years ago, can't go back. It's like going from no tablet to a tablet to me.
    Well, from what I can see 99% of your work are paintings/drawings - of course it's going to be a better tool for you. Character art (sculpting) is another matter.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Actually sculpting is the major reason for me to decide a switch ...

Jesus Kot_Leopold where are you from, what's with the Cintiq hate ?
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No hate at all. Ok, I'll just shut up :poly136:
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a Cintiq 24 (bloody huge mofo), and I'm finding I am a whole lot quicker in Maya or zBrush when I was using my intuos, which I would use if I could move the Cintiq (bloody heavy mofo) somewhere else.

For illustration, Cintiq beats Intuos hands down, obviously.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I used a cintiq for 1 hour a day for about a month a few years ago, it was nice, but not THAT much better than a tablet, if I had $2.5k just laying around for no reason I would think about picking one up, but working on a warm surface, and having your hand get in the way of the display are both big cons over a standard tablet.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    I want one so bad but ruddy bills keep getting in the way!!!!!! Im happy with my A5 wide for now though.

Having your hand in the way is my main concern, I remember borrowing my friends tablet PC not too long ago and it took me a while to get used to having my hand in the way but was very intuitive after a while. Photoshop I thought was awesome but sculpting took some time for me to get used to. Im sure a cintiq is miles better than a cruddy HP tablet PC though haha.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    i have been using the cintiq since the first release 6 years ago? 7 ? hell if i know. For me its a must, I cannot go back to tablet, and ive tried.

Like i said many times on polycount. I use my 21 cintiq everyday, I paint and sculpt with it. Its cake, i do agree that the first edition cintiq would get scratches on it after a while. ( but thats like 4 years after) but it doesnt seem to be the case with the latest edition.. Also, I dont agree about the lag, There is none, i agree that it get hot and it burn ur eyes.

About the hand getting in the way, well, ill be honest, Learn to hold ur pencil. its like drawing on paper, hold ur pen loose and sitting comfortably in your hand, to see the larger piece.

I dont use my cintiq flat or fully straight, but middle ground. my forearm and wrist are fine after all theses year using it.

And you cant compare a cintiq to a tablet pc.

if you have any question feel free. Oh And I do not use the pen to model with it. Only paint and sculpt.

Ben
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    I didn't expect so many insightful responses from you fellas. Polycount all the way!

Bill, thanks for the info. I model and sculpt and paint and texture on my tablet, so I am curious how awkward modeling would be on a cintiq.

Pior, thanks for article. Really scary but thought provoking experiences. Thankfully due for my regular tea breaks I get enough time away from the screen.

Vitally, kudos on the arm advice.

I decided that I'll wait it out and maybe demo a fellow artist's cintiq before asking the studio to fork over a couple of grand without being sure.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    moose wrote: »
    Need transparent arms! :poly124:

I've been on the fence of buying a cintiq for years (cost, space, activity level), think I'm finally ready to hop off!

See that's another point of apprehension for me. While a lot of awesome guys here use cintiqs there are still a few kickass artists here who chose not to. Seemingly any top level guy would eventually upgrade but it doesn't seem to be the case.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse wrote: »
    See that's another point of apprehension for me. While a lot of awesome guys here use cintiqs there are still a few kickass artists here who chose not to. Seemingly any top level guy would eventually upgrade but it doesn't seem to be the case.

it's all subjective.

Try it and decide for yourself.

NEVER do something because everyone else is doing it. That's just general advice for life though. Don't choose a tool just because 'rockstar' artists use them. Choose it because you like it.

They're all tools for the artist to use. It's almost like different mediums.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master

NEVER do something because everyone else is doing it..

Actually I'd suggest copying masters whenever you are new to something, there's a reason behind their methods.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    Actually I'd suggest copying masters whenever you are new to something, there's a reason behind their methods.

I think a better word is 'understanding' masters.

After all, what's the use of copying a recipe (for example) if you don't understand WHY the ingredients go together.

Study the method, understand their insanity, incorporate their methods into your own.

The masters became masters by following their own path, not walking the path of other's.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    anyone tried the 12" version? I'm loving using the 21 but cant really afford one for home.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    thx for the link pior!
  • Vorge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vorge polycounter lvl 18
    @r_fletch_r I tried out the 12 inch and it's pretty nice, but a big part of my enjoyment of the cintiq is how it mimics almost like a drawing table and I feel a little frustrated with the lack of room with the 12 inch model. I much prefer the 21, but from what I could tell there was no negatives in quality, just a smaller area to draw with.

And yes, my first generation cintiq started to develop small scratches in the most heavy traffic areas like Ben and Vitaly mentioned, at about four and a half year mark. It's not very noticeable but it is there if you take a look. I haven't had the newer cintiq long enough to compare wear and tear but I tend to work with the felt-tip stylus or the spring-tip stylus which I would imagine put less strain on the surface. That could all be speculation, however.