Home Technical Talk

Exporting Help!

cdevens
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
cdevens polycounter lvl 7
Hey everyone, I am trying to export an object as an OBJ and I get the message "vertex coordinate too big adjust object scale". I have scaled it down and it doesn't fix anything (not that it was abnormally large in the first place). The object was causing the program to lock whenever I would try to render to texture. I have reset xform, converted to editable poly, saved as a separate scene and merged back in, nothing seems to help. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• Bruno Afonseca
    Never heard of this before, in which unit system are you working on? And how big is the model in these units?
  • cdevens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fonfa: I am using generic units and the object is about 280 units tall, 194 units deep, and 330 units wide. I had never seen this before either and have not found much useful information by searching for it. It is not a complicated mesh either, so this one has me confused.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    do you have a random stray vert positioned somewhere around infinity?
  • cdevens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe: No random vertices anywhere, the bounding box looks like it should.

I ran STL check and only got warnings for my open edges that were expected. I did have odd triangulated, half transparent faces when I applied a symmetry modifier and weld verts was turned on.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    That's weird. have you tried importing anything into this scene and exporting?
    You could also try splitting the model in smaller pieces and exporting it separately
  • Robo Critter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was being driven crazy by this issue but found a simple fix:
    Convert the object to editable poly, enter element selection mode, select all parts of the object by dragging a selection box (don't do it by pressing ctrl+a, it won't fix the issue), hold shift and drag to clone all of it to a new object. Done.
    The newly created object should export just fine.
    Simply cloning to a new object without first entering element mode will not fix the issue.

I realize this is a 3+ year old issue but no one on any board had a solution yet so I found one.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, thanks for posting the solution. Sounds like an invisible mesh element, almost like floating vertices but with some polygons attached (otherwise it wouldn't be an element).

If you still have the problematic file, you should submit it as a bug, so Autodesk can identify and fix.