Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Imp Warrior (WIP Thread)

mod
Hey guys,

So, I got a job a couple months ago in a small studio as an animator, which sort of caused me to stop doing personal projects. So Ive decided to get back into it. I want to model, texture, rig and animate a character for my reel. To keep the learning going. I want it to be reel worthy, so I am going to request all the help I can get from you all. Any constructive crits would be amazing.

This is the concept I am using. which I found here. Fantastic artist, so check out his gallery.
http://beloved-creature.deviantart.com/art/Imp-Warrior-31590732

Imp_Warrior_by_Beloved_Creature.jpg

Today, I started with the head. Mainly the crits I am looking for at this time is help with edge flow. Under the chin is pretty F'ing ugly, so any help/paint overs would be very much welcome.

frontSmooth.JPG
frontWire.JPG
sideSmooth.JPG
sideWire.JPG
underWire.JPG

Thanks guys. Ill be posting as I go all the progress I make.

Replies

• DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DiegoTeran polycounter lvl 11
    Oh amazing concept! Keep us posted!
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    yaa, definitely a kick ass concept. I wanna really do a good job on this thing. do the concept justice. I think with the right amount of time put into it, i can do it.
  • sverbeek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The "wave thingy" that goes around his side looks more like a mask so I think it should continue around his entire head like a mask, rather then just the cheek bones.The cheeks should be a bit smaller I think. The eye brows could use some bevel.

That's all I got, other then that it is very nice so far looking forward to seeing more.
  • dogzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dogzer polycounter lvl 8
    I love where this is heading
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    absolutely in love with that concept, good choice
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    looking at it more - because i enjoy looking at this concept - i would suggest not making the wrinkle on the side of the head so harsh, it looks like its getting there in the front view, but profile its too thin, also have it travel further up the head and fade out in width, i know its still extremely early in modeling stage but dont forget the slight vertical crease at the top of the nose area :)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    hehe thanks for the comments guys. even if some are about the part thats not mine. haha. but its encouraging knowing people are lookin forward to it progressing.

I think im gonna redo most of it actually, and have the thing on the side of his head, and the middle eyebrow wrinkle be part of the sculpt instead. It will make for a cleaner mesh. And since i lost most of the back of the head/neck/chin right after i posted this (BSOD....), Its a good time to redo it. haha. Ill be working on it tonight though after work.

Cheers everyone :)
  • Sakunia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sakunia polycounter lvl 7
    The concept is awesome good luck!
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Todays update

I reworked the head. I will put the side head bone and the eye brow wrinkles in with the sculpt. Getting rid of them cleaned up the mesh a fair bit. Im pretty happy with the head topology right now. Im actually pretty happy with my progress right now. Its lookin good, I think. I personally like the proportions. Not entirely accurate, but, believable. The torso was interesting though. the shoulders/arm pits especially, since I know I will be animating it.

That being said, I feel I need a little help with topology with the torso. The shoulder and arm around especially. If anyone would be ever so kind to do a paint over of what it should look like for good animations, I would love to see it. I dont think im TOO far off though. But we shall see.

Hope you guys like the update!

bodyFront.jpg

bodySide.jpg

bodyBack.jpg

smoothed.JPG

Cheers

Stefan
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Gonna be working on this tonight. Bumping the thread in hopes for some advice on topology. Please and thank you.

:D
  • JustinPunio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    topology flow looks good to me so far... just need make them all uniform, too many big polygons there... if you're using 3dsMax there's a quadrify function I've heard that helps?
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great concept you have there :D
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    that's awesome, kinda like a Dungeon Keeper imp that's gone rogue! :D
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    As part of my new years resolution (do more personal stuff), I've started at this again. But, I lost the original file when I got a new computer. So I've started over.

Here's what I have so far. I think Ive spent about 5 hours on this so far, since last night. I feel that's slow for how basic it is, but hey, Im learning, so Im not too worried about time.

Im liking the front silhouette, but the side, I feel needs more work. Maybe a bulkier top? more curves in the back and chest? And the arms need work.

My main concerns right now are edge flow. If anyone has any tips on edge flow, or has time for a paint over, I would really appreciate it. Im also not sure what sort of geometry I actually NEED in the abs area. Im trying to not add extra geo unless it helps with silhouette, but, Im not exactly a pro at that yet. Specially if you look at the bottom section of the legs.

Imp_34_NW.JPG
    Imp_34_W.JPG
    Imp_front_NW.JPG
    Imp_front_W.JPG
    Imp_Side_NW.JPG

Also, if anyone has any tips on showing my WIP, Id love to hear it. Right now, these viewport pics just seem bad. But maybe im just being too picky.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    What Ive been working on, on and off all day. Reworked the upper torso to give the side sihoulette a better feel. Reworked the arms. Added feet and hands.

This is the first character I've really put an effort into. Im liking it so far. Even if the texture turns out crappy, animating him should be fun.

Comments? Concerns?

Imp2_34_NW.JPG
    Imp2_34_W.JPG
    Imp_front2_NW.JPG
    Imp_front2_W.JPG
    Imp_Side2_NW.JPGImp_Side2_W.JPG
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Little update. spread out the polys in the neck. shrank the torso a tiny bit. added the tail and head.

Imp01.JPG

Imp02.JPG

Thoughts? Im a little nervous about the armour. Havent really done armour before.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    What a fantastic concept! I'm sorry to hear you lost your work :(, but at least you should be faster this time, right? :) For your block-in, it seems like the upper body is a little too long for the rest of him?
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    you're going to need more geometry in his pectorals and shoulders, this area seems unusually sparse compared to other parts of him