Home General Discussion

Student, Need tips & advice

Hey guys, I've been a member of this forum for a few months now, just browsing around and looking at peoples art, which as been really inspiring to me.

I started university back in September, my course is a BSc in Digital Media.

This year is a mix of different modules, to get a basic feel for digital media as a whole, In 3rd year we get to start specializing in what we want to do, there is a few 3D related modules I can choose from, Character animation etc. When I leave uni I hope to aim towards becoming a 3D artist.

I decided to make this thread because I need some really good and constructive advice and tips on what I should really be focusing on right now and what skillset I should have by the time I leave uni.

Abit about me; I'm 18, (still young!) I'm not great at drawing, I'm interested in designing and modelling things like vehicles, weapons and other objects and scenes, Not so keen on character design, I think that is becuase I have never really been able to draw so well.

So yeah, I'd love to hear some feedback from you guys, on what areas I need to address and focus on just now.

If you have any questions about me or anything just ask!

Many thanks, Arctik.

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Post your portfolio. I can't see a link to it anywhere in your first post.

There's nothing you need more than a good portfolio. If you post it, and show it to everyone you can, you will get lots and lots of advice.
  • ArctikStorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    Post your portfolio. I can't see a link to it anywhere in your first post.

There's nothing you need more than a good portfolio. If you post it, and show it to everyone you can, you will get lots and lots of advice.

I don't mean about my current work. What I mean is, should I be learning to draw at the moment? focus on learning software ect?
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drop out save money buy dvds
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    What's important first I would say is to master the fundamentals before getting into advanced techniques. Learn art theories like shapes, color, perspective, composition, etc... these are skills that any 3D artist need to be better. Software & technology grow very fast, so don't waste your time trying to learn all the functionality of all software, you won't use them all anyways. I would say first, to master 1 main software like 3ds Max or Maya. Try to explore, and when you'll find what you REALLY want to do, then focus on that field and work hard on it. It can be character art, environment art, animation, rigging, scripting, etc... Don't jump into a game engine before knowing how to make a proper low poly. Very important, whatever you make an artwork, show them to the community (Polycount) so you can get professional feedback from other people. This will help you to understand your errors and to not do them again.

Good luck! :)
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    I don't mean about my current work. What I mean is, should I be learning to draw at the moment? focus on learning software ect?

How do we know what skills you need if you don't post your work?

And honestly if you are a student you should be doing all of the above. Drawing, software, everything.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Learn to draw and paint (digitally), focus your education on artistic fundamentals (composition, color theory, figure drawing) and buy DVDs to learn 3D software. Even if you have no interest in character work figure drawing will teach you shape rhythm, aesthetic proportions and how to understand shape and form.

You don't necessarily need to know how to draw to succeed as a 3D artist/designer, it is just the easiest/fastest way of learning art fundamentals and it is virtually guaranteed that the courses will be better than your 3D ones (which are virtually guaranteed to be garbage)

Learning software at school is a waste of money, buy DVDs and teach yourself.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Work hard, practise lots. I've noticed from looking around different universities and attending one myself, that it's not what university you go to, its what you put into it that matters. There are some universities which are "better" than others for certain degrees, but a big part of that is that they attract the students which have a high interest in that subject, who obviously try hard in that subject, whereas the lesser universities attract people who may not have any previous experience in the subject, who may have less enthusiam.

You get out what you put in!
  • ArctikStorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    How do we know what skills you need if you don't post your work?

And honestly if you are a student you should be doing all of the above. Drawing, software, everything.

I've not yet started my 3D modules. Not had experience in 3D previously.

Want to get a head start before I do begin, hence posting here looking for guidance on what I should be doing.

Thanks for the advice so far guys.

Bibendum - do you have any recommendations DVDs etc?
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bibendum - do you have any recommendations DVDs etc?
    For software introduction: Digital Tutors
    Digital Tutors offers a lot of intro DVDs to most software. Things are well explained and no step is skipped. It's "follow along" training.

For techniques specifically relevant to the game industry: 3DMotive and Eat3D
    3DMotive and Eat3D are more well rounded, they skip a lot of the repetitive material, but still cover everything important. Most importantly they are actually targetted at the game industry and most of the techniques are (at the moment, and probably for the foreseeable future) all still very relevant to game development.

For more advanced design concepts: Gnomon
    Gnomon's DVDs are very abstract and most of the tedious "grunt work" in the videos is skipped to show core concepts which often leaves newer artists feeling like they've missed something important. Not what I would suggest for beginners to art. VERY valuable training material but probably inaccessible to most starting artists. This is mostly what I would consider professionals teaching artists who are already preparing to enter the field.
  • samcole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "I decided to make this thread because I need some really good and constructive advice and tips on what I should really be focusing on right now and what skillset I should have by the time I leave uni."

First step is good. You posted in Polycount. Half the students I go to school with don't even know about this place, and don't bother coming here.

However YOU have to pick something to start gaining a aptitude in. Modeling, texturing, concept art, hi-poly work, low poly work, etc. There are many of the core foundation skills that people above me have already listed. However YOU need to find something you enjoy doing before the community can really offer you guidance, and constructive crits.

When I started school I had no 3D experience just like you. Over the past year I've come to the realization that I prefer Environment Art. I suck at programming, and I don't have a strong enough skill base to do Concept Art. You just need to try the processes out and see which ones you get the most satisfaction/enjoyment out of at the end of the day.
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    I'd like to echo what some are saying about learning the fundamentals.
    For help getting started developing your artistic eye, I would check out a book called
    Drawing on the Right Side of The Brain.
    some people have suggested it on here before but it really informs you about how to use your observation skills to really see and gain useful information about your subject.

Check out and just keep working on 3d all the time.