Home Technical Talk

Intro to Mental Ray??

Hello,

I am currently trying to build my understanding of 3d modeling and rendering. I wanted to ask you pro's if there are any good Mental Ray Tut or document that you guys could point me to. The Scanline renderer is not cutting it for me.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Oh, I am using 3DS Max 2012, and Photoshop CS5.

Lee

Replies

• Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Yo Lee, check out Master Zap's blog (http://mentalraytips.blogspot.com/) and DJX (http://www.djx.com.au/blog/category/mentalray/)

Not necessarily intro tutorials, but they have a lot of useful information. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions although it's been a while since I've touched it after switching to Renderman
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Patton's digital sets and master zap fxphd class are probably the best i ve seen for mr (in 3ds max) try to check them out..
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    maze wrote: »
    Jeff Patton's digital sets and master zap fxphd class are probably the best i ve seen for mr (in 3ds max) try to check them out..

+1 to master Zaps fxphd. its fantastic
  • ArchieVision
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I am sorta a noob with MentalRay. I am having issues with the model rendering black, and I cannot figure it out. I have a light in the scene, but it just looks terrible. Thanks is why I am looking for an introduction to figure out what I am doing wrong. And to learn the correct way of using it.

Thanks
  • ArchieVision
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my 1st Mental Ray Test. The Spec looks off, but otherwize a sucess. I will be doing more, and rerendering some other objects and doing more tests.

Here is the YT Tut I used to get this result.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3GYtw8SNVk&feature=plcp&context=C36ed753UDOEgsToPDskJcQGT41Nvd2TI9nqp_OKnf"]3ds max tutorial : mental ray daylight - YouTube[/ame]

My problem was the Rederer setup and the Daylight setup. I did not know about them. Now I do and will be checking out the links you guys gave me, Thank you.

1stMentalray.jpg
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks like an exposure problem. Are you using photometric lights? If so make sure to work in a proper scale. (set scale units to metric or inches) realistic lighting is based on realistic measures. That way you can really be sure of what you are doing.

Also as a tip, create a matte arch and design material and put it in the material override in the render setup (processing tab) work with only one material for initial lighting it'll help and it will be faster as well.

Make sure you are working in a linear workflow, you need to know if you are planning to use a compositing application or if you prefer to have a final render straight from max and maybe retouch it in photoshop.

If you are planning to work in archviz, or doing stills without a compositing program then set your settings like this:
    gamma-max.JPG

if on the contrary you are planning to work with a compositing package such as nuke or after effects, set your "output gamma" to 1.0, as your compositing application will interpret it as linear (sRGB) .

Also. If you are working with a compositing package you wont be using "mr exposure control" (well you can still use it for test renders...only) because when using render elements, exposure wont be taken in consideration, exposure works only in master beauty. But if you are working compositing "render elements" (render channels) you will be applying exposure in your compositing package of choice.

And finally if working with render elements (channels) use mr AD output channels (they are the result of mr AD level & mr AD raw output together. You can eventually choose raw or level... but to start stick with output (result) channels.

Hope this helps man!
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I forgot, use framebuffer at 32 bit if you can, and as output file use .exr files, they are great for use in comp.
  • ArchieVision
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, but half of that is Greek to me. I am still a noob at it. I used the Daylight system. If that makes any sense.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archievision, I understand I was also confused about linear workflow when I heard about it.
    But since some time ago I decided to focus on lighting so got to learn that...
    So, it is a good idea that you get used to since the beginning. I agree with r_fletch_r, I cant recommend enough master zap training on fxphd, you ll get everything you need from a pro (he is actually the guy who created the sss shader...so you know what to expect). Also I suggest using mental images forum for additional feedback(creators of mental ray). Good luck lighting.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and yes daylight makes sense. Actually Jeff patton did a training about daylight in the digital sets:

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/products/tutorials/jpa_series/

(check the last tab)
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    take a look at this (is for vray but same knowledge applies to mr)
    http://www.seazo.no/linear-workflow

note: just remember that the following workflow (ref image) uses a compositing application, if you do not want or plan to use a compositing application, set your output gamma to 2.2 as well (yes same as the input) If not it will look washed out, so your gamma will be baked into your final image,
    hope this makes sense..

gamma%20chart.jpg