Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

3D Game Art Internship

[FONT=Times, Times New Roman]Codename[/FONT][FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial] Games is seeking a talented 3D artist to assist with asset creation for various ongoing projects. You will be involved in the entire art process, from concept to asset creation and animation. While you will be receiving direction from your project lead and a lead artist, you will also have an opportunity to influence the look of the games you work on. The games you work on will be in several art styles across multiple platforms, so flexibility and adaptability are key. This is an unpaid internship, so you must be able to receive course credit at an institution where you are currently enrolled. As additional compensation, you will receive the professional credit of "Assistant Artist" on any games you work on. You will also be free to use projects you work on in your personal portfolio.
[/FONT][FONT=Times, Times New Roman]
Requirements:
[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]MUST be a current student, no exceptions. [/FONT]
  • Pursuing games-related or digital art degree
  • Familiarity with Adobe Photoshop and Autodesk Maya (2008 or later)
  • Texturing skills in Maya
  • Strong concept art skills (line drawing and coloring)
  • Ability to receive/respond to art direction
  • Good communication skills and a positive attitude

[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Bonus Points:
[/FONT]
  • Maya animation skills
  • Some game design background
  • Previous industry experience
[FONT=Times, Times New Roman]
[/FONT][FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]About Codename Games
[/FONT][FONT=Times, Times New Roman]Codename[/FONT][FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial] Games is an independent games label developing small, innovative, independent projects for consoles and the web. Borrowing ideas from the best maverick, artist-focused entertainment enterprises, Codename works with small independent developers worldwide, internally and externally to develop smart, new indie games.
[/FONT][FONT=Times, Times New Roman]
We are located in downtown Los Angeles.

[/FONT]http://www.codenamegames.com
[FONT=Times, Times New Roman]http://www.facebook.com/pages/CODENAME/358090265838
http://twitter.com/#!/codenamegames

To Apply

Please submit a cover letter, resume, and link to an online portfolio or reel, if available, to jobs@codenamegames.com. Please put "Codegame Intern...shhhh!" in the subject line.
Please, no calls or drop-ins.
[/FONT]

Replies

• greevar
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    Um, you do realize that it's illegal to use unpaid interns to produce work for profit right?
  • TortillaChips
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Hence the "...shhh" ;)

Nah but actually, is it? They are specifying university students only so maybe there's a workaround? (hell in the UK you even have to give your university £1k to go on one)
  • greevar
    Offline / Send Message
    Hence the "...shhh" ;)

Nah but actually, is it? They are specifying university students only so maybe there's a workaround? (hell in the UK you even have to give your university £1k to go on one)

It is in the US. It violates the labor laws. You can't profit from unpaid interns because that gets a little to close to slavery. They have to be paid a professional level wage if you use their work.
  • Jozzy
    Offline / Send Message
    Jozzy polycounter lvl 8
    I understand your point of "close to slavery for have unpaid interns." It has been alot problem with indie and all other profit organizations in this industry. Alot of people wanted is money. As for this team, Codemasters probably doesnt have mouch of money to pay for unexperienced level kind of work. That is why they are calling it internship to specific currently university students. The students will need internships to earn the experience of anything to show off on resume to any other company, and or meet requirement for graduation credits.

By the way, I am not exactly sure what game they do produce. They made the top 50 list of PC games in 2012. That is big headline.

My question to you guys with not much of experience. Will you rather to work for company who thrive and work hard to make themselves recognition, and or work for big bucks that you probably wont get anything in return. Alot of well-known companies will want artists with more experience in belt. How will you take a step into industry's door? Well, you might want to think about it again before you call Codemasters to treats them like broken a law which they havent do anything yet.
  • Jozzy
    Offline / Send Message
    Jozzy polycounter lvl 8
    Sorry, Codename Games, forgive me for spelling this company wrong.
  • greevar
    Offline / Send Message
    Jozzy wrote: »
    I understand your point of "close to slavery for have unpaid interns." It has been alot problem with indie and all other profit organizations in this industry. Alot of people wanted is money. As for this team, Codemasters probably doesnt have mouch of money to pay for unexperienced level kind of work. That is why they are calling it internship to specific currently university students. The students will need internships to earn the experience of anything to show off on resume to any other company, and or meet requirement for graduation credits.

By the way, I am not exactly sure what game they do produce. They made the top 50 list of PC games in 2012. That is big headline.

My question to you guys with not much of experience. Will you rather to work for company who thrive and work hard to make themselves recognition, and or work for big bucks that you probably wont get anything in return. Alot of well-known companies will want artists with more experience in belt. How will you take a step into industry's door? Well, you might want to think about it again before you call Codemasters to treats them like broken a law which they havent do anything yet.

If they don't have the money to pay them, then they shouldn't use their work for profit, as per the law. Interns are there to learn, not to give the company free labor. I'm not saying that they intend to do that for certain, but it seems that way. I'm just raising a concern, because it would be a rotten thing to do it if they did.
  • Jozzy
    Offline / Send Message
    Jozzy polycounter lvl 8
    I'll agree with your point. The intern is only offer to college students only if you read the post carefully from Codename Games. They dont accept any interns who are post-graduation. They know based by-laws to pay the employee with some kind of payment. The college students already paid the money toward education, so it is their job to pick up the experience and prepare for the industry world. The money doesnt fall off from the tree. I know we all wish it does, but it aint. So, ask yourself.. How will the college students/inexperience earn themselves the positions just like everyone else. I will bet the professional artists started with barely any bucks in their bucks. Ask anyone. :)
  • greevar
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll agree with your point. The intern is only offer to college students only if you read the post carefully from Codename Games. They dont accept any interns who are post-graduation. They know based by-laws to pay the employee with some kind of payment. The college students already paid the money toward education, so it is their job to pick up the experience and prepare for the industry world. The money doesnt fall off from the tree. I know we all wish it does, but it aint. So, ask yourself.. How will the college students/inexperience earn themselves the positions just like everyone else. I will bet the professional artists started with barely any bucks in their bucks. Ask anyone. :)

"The intern is only offer to college students only if you read the post carefully from Codename Games. They dont accept any interns who are post-graduation."

So what? It changes nothing. Student or not, that doesn't mean they can use interns for free labor. Which appears to be their intention.

"The college students already paid the money toward education, so it is their job to pick up the experience and prepare for the industry world. The money doesnt fall off from the tree. I know we all wish it does, but it aint."

This makes no sense nor does it apply to the issue.

Companies do not get to ignore labor laws because interns need experience to get a job. It's really simple. The company is only supposed to train the student to make him/her ready for the industry. They don't get to use any of the work he/she does for commercial gain. That's illegal. If they want to use the work, they must pay the intern. And no, the training does not count as compensation. An unpaid internship means they cannot use the student's work for profit. Period. No excuses, no exceptions. To use unpaid intern work for commercial gain is pure exploitation.

You're completely wrong, so stop trying to rationalize it. Either they don't work on commercial projects and don't get paid or they work on the commercial project and they get paid. Those are the only two options. If they don't abide by the law, they will be subject to fines.
  • Jozzy
    Offline / Send Message
    Jozzy polycounter lvl 8
    So now, you say I am completely wrong. Therefore there are not supposed to be royalty projects around. The ANY royalty projects are considering interns as well. I m not trying to have rational discussion with you.

I am guessing you want to have actually professional experience with some payment or freelance gig although you dont have anything under your belt. I'll bet your hiring on you is on low rate. Alot of artists out there do work hard and sacrifice their times to earn something. They might not have 5-10 years of experience yet.

You cant tell me what to do or stop me from discussion this topic because this is getting nowhere. You are obviously angry about something. WORK HARD! BUT being SMART about it. I am not here to criticize anyone or you.
  • greevar
    Offline / Send Message
    So now, you say I am completely wrong. Therefore there are not supposed to be royalty projects around. The ANY royalty projects are considering interns as well. I m not trying to have rational discussion with you.

I am guessing you want to have actually professional experience with some payment or freelance gig although you dont have anything under your belt. I'll bet your hiring on you is on low rate. Alot of artists out there do work hard and sacrifice their times to earn something. They might not have 5-10 years of experience yet.

You cant tell me what to do or stop me from discussion this topic because this is getting nowhere. You are obviously angry about something. WORK HARD! BUT being SMART about it. I am not here to criticize anyone or you.

What are you talking about? I'm talking about illegal exploitation of interns and you're saying I'm against royalty based compensation? No, there is nothing wrong with accepting royalties if you're okay with the possibility you may never be paid, but it is illegal to do that with interns. Is that any more clear to you?

Using unpaid interns for commercial work = illegal

Using inexperienced professionals that are fully willing to take a risk = legal
  • Jozzy
    Offline / Send Message
    Jozzy polycounter lvl 8
    no comment there. :-p

anyways, I wish Codename Games a great of good luck on produce their games and finding people too. *shrugs*