Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Splash Damage Canister art test

Looking for crit, be harsh - i love it! :D - and also hello poly-count community!

concept:
arttest_concept03.jpg

WIP (Now with 100% more normal maps :P):
6Gy1C.jpg

Normal+Tex:
7FmgT.jpg

disassemble it :thumbup:

Replies

• Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Looks okay. I think the middle part is a bit small. I'm talking about the grey part that has the cylinders on each corner. Compare how yours are positioned to the concept. I also think maybe the whole thing needs to be a bit wider.

It definately needs a specular map. It's suffering without it.

There's a noticeable seam on the middle grey part.

As far as the texture goes, I'm not sure whether or not you should try and match the minimalist style of the concept. I feel you've broken away from it quite a lot. I've never done an art test myself, so I'm not sure what studios want. Hopefully someone with experience can chime in on that.
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    hey man, good work, but i think your main problem is defining materials. Currently it's hard to determine exactly what materials you're trying to portray, i presume the part in the middle is metal, but your texture doesn't suggest this.

You should check out more metal reference and try and study what sells it as metal, and try and replicate that in photoshop. Also, i don't really see any specularity, adding some spec should help bring it to life a bit. Keep at it, the model looks pretty solid
  • wolver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well for starters the normal map has either overlaying uvs or more likely a cage which has not contained all the geometry causing the green splotch.
    the texture is quite noisy it looks strangely almost as if you applied a couple of textures over a plain diffuse : o
    loose dat noise apply it where it shud be!
    imo i would boost the ao or rebake the ao it seems to only be filling in the small crevices.
    texture wise scratch that bitch up! needs grunge and wear m8 and also is the wip without a normal.. its hard to tell.
    hope that crit stings ^^
    glhf
  • Hexidine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    like mr_ace said it looks a bit flat and dull, you will be amazed with what a specular map can do or even just specular.
    now it looks just a bit boring but i think thats mainly because of the colors and the lack of spec.
    also. Wires! we all like to see them so post them :)
    other then that, looks that.
  • michaelrawle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thankyou Hayden, Its abit tricky to adjust the mesh now that its combined. Having reading your comments and putting on some sanity googles - :thumbup: I should have posted here sooner - im working on this in par for splash damage and a submission at my university (of Hertfordshire, best 3D University at its altitude /plug), so as much as i would now like too change it! :D

I've now got to focus on a nice texture to accompany my bake for a 9pm GMT submission.

Non the less, the body is now both wider ("needs to be a bit wider") and the larger camera facing sides ("middle part is a bit small") have been pulled out a bit to give them more depth and curve.

cOkbE.jpg

Looking at that im thinking: is there even a change? .. :( well yes - obv not enough :/ What do you think Hayden?

thankyou paintforge, Thanks for slapping this back to my attention, i just moved on and ignored it as the geo was not visible -

71nWI.jpg

There they are! Culled. thanks! :)

Hello Hexidine! - No wires or polycount on polycount?, nuf said.

Polycount: 7980/8000
    Model, Model+Normal, Model+Normal+Wires
    1xFvs.jpg

finally, mr_ace, Hexidine, paintforge and hayden.
    paintforge said it best with: "the texture is quite noisy it looks strangely almost as if you applied a couple of textures over a plain diffuse : o"

now... and i feel a little dirty saying this but..
    WOFvx.png
    as many people have noticed its just a coloured diffuse with literaly too grundge textures set to overlay.

But ive gotten what i came looking for! Direction. Hayden Im going to side with you for now, try and make it as much like the concept as possible with only a very little added... things. mr_ace! thankyou - ill make sure to focus on material definition, lets add some metal and spec map.

Ill be killing that noise paintforge! Had some trouble backing the AO so atm im just using screenspace. IF i have time this evening - i WILL go back :D!

Here are your wires Hexidine and next will be metal and spec!

thank you all for commenting! BRB
  • Hexidine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great that your taking feedback so serieusly :) good thing to see and looking at your screens you acually do seomthing with the feedback.
    I asked for wires and i got them :P
    I feel like the cylinders could use less sides and still remain its shape, and the little thingis on the corner beams? why are they so detaild you could easily use a alpha map on a plan there, or if you want depth just thicken it, but i think modelling the hole in it i to much, but thats my opinion.
    I wanne see it with metal and spec!
    good work :)
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Well, from the perspective of Splash Damage.

The high poly detail is not sloped enough:
    NormalMap?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=normal_slopes_hatred.jpg

Post your high poly source so we can see where your bake was derived from.
    Also, I'm not really sure what kind of smoothing groups you are using. There doesn't seem to be much (if any) Binormal correction in the Normal Map.

The low-poly geometry looks a tad sloppy. I mean that it does not look completely 100% geometrically uniform. Particularly in the corners, the edge-flow looks wonky rather than smooth.
    The UVs should be uniformly straight snapped at 90 degrees when possible, and you should allow edge-bleed padding by at least 8 pixels from each texture island.

The textures are off. For some reason, it looks like there are Normal Map artifacts in your diffuse. I would almost suggest baking in a little more Ambient Occlusion (possibly with a ground plane in the bake-scene).

BTW The Concept does not look grungy at all. Have you even SEEN Brink? The game is pretty clean with small scratches here and there. It does not have multiple grunge layering.
    It really doesn't seem like you researched this very well (I don't see grunge in the concept, and I don't see a lot of grunge in the screenshots from the game):
    brink_aquarium.jpg

By the way, you're missing both the Edge Map, and Cavity Map.
    Read this tutorial by Arshlevon. And apply this to your textures:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52183

You also missed the text that says '5A', and I can't seem to see some of the rivets (I see them in the normal map, but can't see them in the final 3D model).

And the material differentiation is WAY off. For the metal scratches, you need a dark diffuse with a bright spec/reflectivity, and wide gloss:
    Metal.jpg

The rest (what looks like acrylic paint to me in the concept) should have moderately high spec, a little more glossier, and quite a bit darker in the spec.

Keep at it though!
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    You say its hard to change it now you've combined. I'm not sure what 3D program you're using, but it should be very easy to uncombine it, make the tweaks you need then re-combine.

I didn't know the company responsible for the concept made Brink. good to see you ditched the dirt and are going more in their direction.
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    I think that the texture detail should be smaller to make the size seames bigger since its wery tall.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    Just wanted to bump this because Jac's post is super informative.
  • aaronaton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronaton polycounter lvl 6
    i think it looks abit too weathered for a object of that scale. Depending that is if its to be placed outside in the elements or inside. Maybe keep the weathering low down on the model thou, with hints of chips and nicks throughout.