Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

CE3 Cabin/Outhouse thing

Just a little thing I'm working on atm, for a "single building" deadline at uni.

I'm going to make this into a full environment (hopefully a snowy one) in the new year once the current deadlines are dealt with. If any of you guys have some ideas of extra details, cool features or anything at all that you think might fit the theme then please do suggest it I've got plans to add a small rowing boat stored at the side, some largish fishing nets draped around the balcony/standing poles area, that sort of thing, plus obvious stuff like pine trees, bushes, grass and the like.

Anyway here's some screens:

DNkSk.jpg

dTeFx.jpg

DOhQJ.jpg

Replies

• SPYFF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SPYFF polycounter lvl 10
    Oh, this is very nice! This atmosphere make me feel good :)
  • TheScreamingEagles
    Quick update, vastly reduced noise on the textures, tweaked variety of stuff, also made a tree and whacked it in to test :)

8VLcb.jpg

zXnlr.jpg
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Looks good, nice. You could so easily turn this into a really dark/haunting scene by changing the lighting tone to grey/blue.
  • farettig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The reduced noise makes a huge difference, it's a lot easier to read now
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just one thing....why are the logs intersecting? Is it supposed to be like that? Hell i have no clue how they build log houses but its really bothering me.

Aside from that i love it. You might want to slap som AO on the texture however. Not a whole lot, just to make it moore intresting and give the logs a bit moore depth.
  • TheScreamingEagles
    Visceral wrote: »
    Just one thing....why are the logs intersecting? Is it supposed to be like that? Hell i have no clue how they build log houses but its really bothering me.

Aside from that i love it. You might want to slap som AO on the texture however. Not a whole lot, just to make it moore intresting and give the logs a bit moore depth.

Yeah, that is how they build them. Here's a good close up of how it looks in reality:

1971607655_07a9a69074_b.jpg

Obviously there's a sliver of log between each intersection in reality, but it's so small that its obviously not feasible to put that into a games model just for extreme close ups :)

As far as AO between logs goes, I can't really do that because the entire building uses repeating textures and blend layers.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    You can use a second UV set for AO, or even Better use Vertex Colors.
  • TheScreamingEagles
    Computron wrote: »
    You can use a second UV set for AO, or even Better use Vertex Colors.

Second UV sets aren't supported in CE3 as of yet.

Vertex Colors I'm not sure on. Vertex Alpha is already being used for the blend layer, but I haven't been able to get both that and vertex colors for shading to work at the same time. I don't know if that's because I'm doing something wrong, or because the engine doesn't support it (not a great deal of documentation on things like this), but I'll continue to look into it.
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    I was going to say that nobody leaves the bark on the logs when they're making a cabin out of them, but I see you already fixed the texture :P
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking sexy dude! Will be lovely when you set the scene with some decent lighting/terrain.
    You can use Vertex colours of course (aslong as you enable them in the material params) it may be worthwhile using a technique to bake the AO information into the vertex colours to give the logs some extra POP.

http://wiki.polycount.com/AmbientOcclusionVertexColor
  • TheScreamingEagles
    scotthomer wrote: »
    Looking sexy dude! Will be lovely when you set the scene with some decent lighting/terrain.
    You can use Vertex colours of course (aslong as you enable them in the material params) it may be worthwhile using a technique to bake the AO information into the vertex colours to give the logs some extra POP.

http://wiki.polycount.com/AmbientOcclusionVertexColor

Ah, great link thanks Scott. Got it baked to the vertex colors now in Maya, hopefully I can get it working now :)
  • TheScreamingEagles
    Hey fellas, been working pretty solid on this environment, here's some current WIP shots. Still lots to tweak and fix, especially in the distance (wanna add mist and maybe a mid-lake island for atmosphere), also gonna add a floatplane at the end of the pier. Outside of that, just an few tweaks and fixes, plus anything you guys notice. Let me know what you think :)

TqUlb.jpg

iTdH6.jpg

nQuNP.jpg

FOIF1.jpg

dmZoo.jpg
  • PLing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's just beautiful, no other word for it. My only crits at this point are that the stones/pebbles are sticking out of the ground a bit too much on the beach and the small scale looking rocks in the distant shores but despite those, outstanding work!
  • TheScreamingEagles
    PLing wrote: »
    That's just beautiful, no other word for it. My only crits at this point are that the stones/pebbles are sticking out of the ground a bit too much on the beach and the small scale looking rocks in the distant shores but despite those, outstanding work!

The stones/pebbles issue will be added to the tweak list immediately! I'd been thinking that a bit myself, but I wasn't sure if it was just me being a bit paranoid so I thought I'd see if anyone else mentioned it, but now you have I'll re work them a bit.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by the small scale looking rocks in the distance? I'm not too sure what you mean, but if you can elaborate a little I will make sure to take another look.

Thanks for the crits and kindness, much appreciated.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Pretty amazing scene!

Add a little bit of fog too, always helps adding a bit of depth.

Vegetation is looking really good apart from the trees, the tree trunk is way too thick and should be a bit more organic, and they should also be a bit bushier, add a few more leaves planes on there, it will look better.

Also, there's some discrepancies in the materials brightness on there, it might help to add a environment cubemap and tweak the materials from there.

overall, great work.
  • TheScreamingEagles
    [HP] wrote: »
    Pretty amazing scene!

Add a little bit of fog too, always helps adding a bit of depth.

Vegetation is looking really good apart from the trees, the tree trunk is way too thick and should be a bit more organic, and they should also be a bit bushier, add a few more leaves planes on there, it will look better.

Also, there's some discrepancies in the materials brightness on there, it might help to add a environment cubemap and tweak the materials from there.

overall, great work.

All added to the tweak list, thanks :)

Regarding material brightness discrepancies, what specifically jumped out at you? Would be helpful as a starting point for fixing it :)
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    The terrain pebbles texture apears to be a bit too bright, reduce the DetailTextureStrengh a bit, and that wooden boat is standing out a bit too much as well, too bright imo.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    love the lighting you have going on here, awesome, great job!
  • TheScreamingEagles
    [HP] wrote: »
    The terrain pebbles texture apears to be a bit too bright, reduce the DetailTextureStrengh a bit, and that wooden boat is standing out a bit too much as well, too bright imo.

Will get on those right away, thanks for the heads up.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    the view over the lake is so purdy :)
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    At first I thought you were posting reference work. Then I noticed it was in game. D=

Love it!
  • Zyloh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zyloh polycounter lvl 8
    Seriously jaw dropping. Love the backdrop.
  • TheScreamingEagles
    Thanks guys. Gonna fix a bunch of errors pointed out here and elsewhere, and then get an update posted