Home Technical Talk

The future of asset creation for games

Hi all,

I am currently studying video game art at university. One piece of research that I am doing is looking at the future of asset creation for games.

We all know about current asset creation pipelines and techniques such as modelling, sculpting, texturing (diffuse, normal, AO etc.) but what does the future hold? Unlimited Detail Techology? Using schematics or photo's which the computer can make into a 3D model? Or something more texture based?

Any input or interesting links would be most welcomed.

Thanks for your input.

YJ

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well, that's gonna be a short paper :D
  • YestersJam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol why do you think that? (it' is only a small paper btw)
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well to really be able to write a good paper on something like this (future prediction) you should have a basic insight in technology trends over the years.
    Im assuming this is a collage level paper, so where i would start is do some research on what new technology is getting moore and moore popular in the industry.

Since i haven't done this (at all) i can just give you some wild guesses.

Tesselation and heightmaps is a area i think is really intresting, however not alot of games seem to use it and its rather a gimmick than the standard of game making.
    I think it should be however, it dosnt divert that much from the current art pipeline and it could bring the detail up significantly.

However it seems there are alot of technical complications when implomenting and i haven't really seen any of it on the consoles yet. Hence the "gimmick" label.

FYI: Unlimited Detail is a scam.

EDIT: Also i recall seeing like a hour long tech talk with Dice about the tech in Battlefield 3. Might give you some hints on how their lighting works.
  • Gestalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    I think voxel scanning could be a big thing as a foundation for major assets, as a quick way to make minor assets, and as a 3d approach to texturing. Instead of using a purely 2d texture I would expect that having some degree of accurate height information would be the norm (especially given the push toward tessellation, better bump maps, etc.).

As for sculpting I think dynamic tessellation is the direction things are going. If you look up some of farsthary's work on 3dcoat, he's done a lot in this area. Between using voxels or dynamic tessellation, I think independence from topology will be a major thing (it can already be seen in practice today but it will become much more refined).

I think brdf will affect more about how we make our materials, and because of that I think there will be less of an emphasis on the diffuse (as there is today) compared to getting the look of the material itself right. With better radiosity getting everything in the diffuse will be less and less important.

These things are all speculation and a lot will depend on how well they can be streamlined, how reliable the techniques will be, and how well they can be implemented given time and resources.
  • Next
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Next polycounter lvl 12
    there are some areas which are worth looking at imo ....

as visceral said tesselation is right now just a gimmick but will be the big stuff with the upcomming nextgen consoles in a few years ( i guess 2 or 3 which might be wrong!)

voxel based tech/content will be the future even if just an far away one still.
    sculpting will be bigger in future then now as will be 3d scanning... just look at tools like zbrush and how hard they are pushing voxelbased content creation (dinamesh)- this will just get more not less so will voxel based engines get more and better not less.

and at the texture/material/physics front we got realtime raytracing which is lurking around the corner all tha time xD. When rasterisation hits a dead end one day maybe this is going to be how its done.

no guarantee on any of this !
    cheers
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, it's just that I think that we reached the higher end of visual fidelity already. Taking tech and human constraints in consideration, there's not much we can do better. No magic voxel tech will ever change the way cars are built for Forza and Gran Turismo, and they already are on par with the detail quality of their real-world counterparts. Good art assets simply require time and effort, and it becomes a bit dangerous when tech people try to predict things too much. Carmack gave great credit and showed a great deal of respect for the ID artists behind Rage in his keynotes, because he knows that they know what they are doing, and that the visual quality of the game depends more on them, than on him.

The only thing I could see in the best case scenarios is a better set of tools speeding up the processes. These are either studio-dependent, or engine-dependent. For instance, it would be fantastic if UDK had better normalmap synchronization, and offered some sort of plugin linking a Max scene with a low and and a high ready to be backed to an exporter plugin, turning the scene into an useable Unreal package in one click. It wouldn't change the asset being built itself at all - it would simply make its export more accurate and faster...
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How far into the future are we looking here? Like next generation console hardware or further than that?
  • YestersJam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the responses guys. Some real interesting points raised. I realise that a lot of this is just our speculation but I thinking of emerging technology that might be in the pipeline.

Visceral - I was thinking in the next 10 years or so.
  • blackhorizon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am not sure how much this will actually help you though I recommend looking at all the features Pixologic is implementing in zbrush...
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?164835-FiberMesh-Preview
  • Insulaner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Insulaner polycounter lvl 11
    As pior said, we have reached a very high standard already and I think it's unlikely that the visual quality of games is gonna increase as much over the next ten years as it did over the last ten years. Put differently, the visual difference between a 2021 game and a 2011 game will probably not be as obvious as the difference between Half-Life 1 and Crysis 1 which are roughly 10 years apart as well.

From an art side, I hope that the pipeline will become more streamlined. All the cool features we have nowadays (normal maps, displacement mapping etc.) all require a lot of time spent on things that, in the end, won't even be in the game. I hope that eventually we can nix the whole baking process and just export un-subdivided highpoly meshes into a game engine, tesselate them in game and apply materials rather than trying to recreate them using textures.

In some cases we're pretty close to this already, thinking about Forza and GT, but it isn't a standard yet..

/edit: I also think that art might not necessarily be the focus of future game development. I think AI might take a couple of steps forward, seeing how there haven't been any groundbreaking developments lately, at least none that I've heard of..

I'm probably way off, though..
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    pior wrote: »
    Well, it's just that I think that we reached the higher end of visual fidelity already. Taking tech and human constraints in consideration, there's not much we can do better. No magic voxel tech will ever change the way cars are built for Forza and Gran Turismo, and they already are on par with the detail quality of their real-world counterparts. Good art assets simply require time and effort, and it becomes a bit dangerous when tech people try to predict things too much. Carmack gave great credit and showed a great deal of respect for the ID artists behind Rage in his keynotes, because he knows that they know what they are doing, and that the visual quality of the game depends more on them, than on him.

The only thing I could see in the best case scenarios is a better set of tools speeding up the processes. These are either studio-dependent, or engine-dependent. For instance, it would be fantastic if UDK had better normalmap synchronization, and offered some sort of plugin linking a Max scene with a low and and a high ready to be backed to an exporter plugin, turning the scene into an useable Unreal package in one click. It wouldn't change the asset being built itself at all - it would simply make its export more accurate and faster...

Ahhh I finally get what u are getting at Pior! You'll have to excuse me for being dense!

Yes! Artists have the tools to do amazing work! I agree. We are at that threshhold with tessellation what is possible in Zbrush for the most part is what was imagined realized! ( except for perhaps character artists: a dynamic solution to define hair and clothing volumes with a dynamic method )

Sort of makes you wonder when character artists had to suffer with nurbs tools...
    sid_toy_story_1.jpg
    19784659.jpg

Imagine this movie never existed and I presented these images to Pixar looking for a job as a character modeler... I imagine the best I could hope for is crate duty or most likely something involving carpal tunnel? Yet this work was done of course by an actual character modeler at Pixar. But what really is the true reason for such a horrible character model?

The nurbs tools were not technically advanced enough to allow the artist to realize quality and or poly/subd methods should have been used instead.

Or "Back Then" no one knew how to make good looking sculptures but now we all know better?

Or, the industry didn't know any better and at the time this guy's ninja skills seemed like the bees knees? ( talented character artists that could handle caricature and Pixar magicians were not introduced to each other yet )

I suspect the last answer is most likely the right one. ( with the first situation impacting quality of life having to suffer with dem nurbs )
    It is not as if talent did not exist before Toy Story 3 and I find that talented artist rarely find it impossible to get nearly best work out of a different medium ( for a sculptor volume and silhouette are universal whether defined by sculpy, wood, or polygons )
    heck even many 2d and 3d artists are just fine switching dimensions as well!

On the other side of the coin...
    There is still a lot of butt ugly work in even current gen. I am wondering if technology allows rendering fidelity to exceed todays target render standards... whether or not another wave of jobs could be lost to new talent inspired by cinematic levels of rendering? ( catching recruits who would of otherwise gon to the ranch? )

much better:
    Molly'sroom.jpg
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    I agree with the poster who mentioned tools. This is where the most potential for improvement is till untapped. While assets, levels and so on have become more and more sophisticated over the years we still work with tools that often are as archaic as they were 10 years ago. It's 2012 (in a bit) and i still have to spent a lot of my time as an artist writing scripts, baking, rendering and compiling stuff. It's an utter chore to unwrap modular assets that reuse textures while putting textures on bsp geometry was super easy already long ago. That's just two examples.
  • Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    I think another thing which will be important, though it will be less of a technology thing, is just simply putting more stuff on a screen at once.

Imagine armies of thousands of characters running over a hill and charging at you. Right now that would destroy the framerate but with better computers and perhaps better tools this will be more possible. Technology wise this would require crowd simulators but we already have those for movies like LOTR, etc. so it may be nothing new tool-wise.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah visually I don't think we'll get much better as far as the art itself goes. Will it be faster and easier to make? Sure. Better tools will make that possible. But I think current games already push visual boundaries. The next big strides need to come from AI and lighting. Even animation could use some help. More dynamic blending with IK and such.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I think people are capable of making good enough art now. Like stubbles said, now its time to make better AI hopefully... and do more advanced physics calculations, more FX, bigger textures/more geo, and things of that nature. Also as I've said before and others said, Tools need to improve quite a bit yet to help us work faster/more efficient.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    Hmm its interesting that we are talking about tech for games, but does anyone care about new story and gameplay for games? Cause as a gamer I am tired of playing shooters that are based on some country fighting a war with another country lol. I mean cmmon, the more time passes on the more worse things get dosent matter if we had 2048 bits of GFX memory for gaming cards compared to pro cards like Quadro etc.

Example Music from 70s and 80s compared to now. Games like Doom, Wolfiestien, Medal of Honour many more from 90s to early 2000 had some thing in them worth playing for.
    These days gaming is more like Ford mass production just make make games one after another so that kids waste money and business keeps running.

It would be nice to see a original game story and whole new game mechancis not just eye candy.

15 Years from now we may have all in one in house 3D projection platform where you are surrounded by 360 visuals and you move your body like Kinect to interact with the environment with super cool photoreal details. I name it the "Z Box"!

Imagine how cool it would be to actually walk in corridors of LV 426 and ducking and lying on ground for cover instead of using ur Pulse rifle when aliens jump on you. lol
    Augmented reality is already here neways + 3D projection (the stuff you use to turn buildings into projection screens) + body motion capture (kinect)

The idea is copyrighted :)
  • Shuriken UK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT, I feel you mate. Thats just the sad way that the gaming industry has decided to follow. Just banging out endless titles that are like the same game, just with better graphics than the last one. Probably thanks in some part to COD, and all their tacky, DLC style reiterations of the same game, over, and OVER again, until you get bored of it, but the masses wont, because they're either too dumb to realise they just payed £40 for the same game 3 times with a different title, or they're only playing COD because its "fashionable" to do so, and they have no REAL preference in games. Also, it makes me laugh how many people buy all the COD games, but NEVER even bother playing the campaign, where the TRUE game experience lies. Shows how much tact some of these people have. Sadly a lot of my mates are full time COD addicts.

Anyway, I dont know if you've seen the "GameSphere" or whatever its called, but me and my friend where having one of our regular brainstorming conversations. Sometimes its about science, society, music etc, but this time it was about what would be a SICK new gaming technology. We came up with an idea for a sphere, housed on a ring of rollers connected to electrical contacts, which would allow the player, standing inside to have FULL freedom of movement, working similarly to how a ball-mouse translates the rolling ball into movement. You'd put on a VR headset, and wear these special gloves and ankle bands, which communicated with an array of sensors outside of the sphere to allow FULL interaction with the gameworld. We were talking about it for SO long, just adding idea after idea. Then about 2 months later, a couple of yanks with a lot of dough, must have tuned into our brains with their scanner devices, and stole the idea right from under our scalps!

We were gonna become millionaires with our invention! If only we had an American budget to throw around! Nah we're just glad that SOME bright mofo's are making OUR ideas come to life. The gaming industry needs a SERIOUS kick up the arse, and it needs to think twice about whats more important, the actual game experience, or the profit... EA, anybody?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT, I feel you mate. Thats just the sad way that the gaming industry has decided to follow. Just banging out endless titles that are like the same game, just with better graphics than the last one. Probably thanks in some part to COD, and all their tacky, DLC style reiterations of the same game, over, and OVER again, until you get bored of it, but the masses wont, because they're either too dumb to realise they just payed £40 for the same game 3 times with a different title, or they're only playing COD because its "fashionable" to do so, and they have no REAL preference in games. Also, it makes me laugh how many people buy all the COD games, but NEVER even bother playing the campaign, where the TRUE game experience lies. Shows how much tact some of these people have. Sadly a lot of my mates are full time COD addicts.

Hmm. You do realize that CoD multiplayer is an excellent game, right ? That fact that you don't like it doesn't mean that everybody else playing is a dumb redneck.

Also, there's no such thing as "the whole industry following it". Skyrim and GTA are perfect examples. For a game to be popular and succesful, it just has to be ... good.
    Imagine how cool it would be to actually walk in corridors of LV 426 and ducking and lying on ground for cover instead of using ur Pulse rifle when aliens jump on you. lol

Yup, that's called Lasertag :) It's fun, but it has nothing to do with videogames ...
    Anyways, back on topic.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    lol Laser Tag hahaha. Still its not what i have envisioned for nextgen gaming :P.
  • dr jekyll
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    i assume the popularity of virtual texturing and meshing will increase because of performence increase (i recomend the lionhead papers on megameshes)
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah bluring the line between asset creation and game design is the most important step now as far as art goes. id has done a good job starting that on the engines end but that is still very basic and needs much more refinement. Heres an example of a good workflow that could drastically increase the visual quality of a game by allowing artists to work much faster and do things not possible before:

Create a new max file with some modular environment base meshes, press ctrl+s.
    Alt+tab to zbrush and see a list of all the objects you just created in max absolutely no navigation or telling it where to look.
    Sculpt them. and save the zbrush file.
    Switch back to max and see the new high res meshes automatically added to the scene (and updated as you change them in zbrush).
    Duplicate the base meshes and create low poly meshes using normal modeling tools, or retopology.
    Select low poly model and press a bake button, output texture file names and paths are automatically generated. Tweak bake cage if needed and click bake again. press ctrl+s.
    Create diffuse, spec, modify normalmap textures in photoshop (hopefully with a working 3d paint feature sometime in the future).
    Switch to game engine and see your new low poly models, textures and materials without any manual exporting or importing.
    Add the modular pieces to the level and add idtech5 style stamps and vertex/texture painting, this wouldnt even require a virtual texturing implementation, just basic texture streaming.

Most of this linking could be done through plugins for each program.

More engine side features could include geometry manipulation like smart booleans where you can damage an object by subtracting chunks or splitting with configurable surface material settings which would add edging detail geometry and automatically blend damaged texture data into the textures.
  • Tavor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tavor polycounter lvl 8
    YesterJams,there are a couple of things that might be coming in the future.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkKtY2G3FbU"]Adaptive Tessellation[/ame]

^This is already happening. Although, from what I've seen, the algorithms could be a little smarter (like only increase the triangle count so that the silouhette gets affected. EarthQuake first mentioned this a while back.

I turned this feature on in Batman: Arkam City and Batman's cowl was no longer boxy. When you get up close to something, it'll self-shadow itself because the triangles are there (whereas before the bump and detail were only faked with normal mapping).

I think most realistically, [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ypoSZk88XE"]real-time ray-tracing and (maybe) radiosity[/ame]

Although, that's not really realistic. Rendering a ball on a plane is not a game, so using ray tracing for bits and pieces for the next-gen is probabaly what might be done (for specular reflections (?)).

Game Developer just had an awesome article on Ptex, which comes with some restrictions, but no traditional UVs. And apparently, DirectX11 has enough pieces of the puzzle in place that you could have a 4,096 triangle mesh (I'm guessing from what they say) in game (now?).

Then there is this (Infinite detail):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00gAbgBu8R4"]Infinite detail[/ame] and while those guys may or may not do it, John Carmack hinted at something similar during Quakecon.

As far as what pior and others say that graphics fidelity can't go beyond its current state, it could, but the caveat will be making the extra content easy enough to justify the extra fidelity.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am not saying that it cannot go further from a technical standpoint - there is always going to be improvements, optimisations, and smarter ways to do/program/simulate things.

However, big magic technical shifts are not likely to happen, because the nature of realtime CG graphics is of slow iteration and improvements on existing tech. Also, from an artistic standpoint, we already reached the point where source assets are already of extremely high quality. (see the Gears of War 3 thread by Kevin).

So to me, the future of asset creation lies in the improvements of the bottlenecks left to fix, to make the existing processes faster. And even if an (hypothetical) virtualized voxel game engine came around, it would do nothing to help asset creation speed - you still have to paint your diffuse, spec, gloss, and so on. The Arkham City example you quote is exactly the same : this is an engine improvement providing higher visual quality, but that says nothing about asset creation technique (wich I believe is the subject of this thread). It sure is very cool tho :)

It's actually interesting to think of it from different point of views. To an unexperienced person (who might not really understand what a good quality game asset requires), the batman cowl smoothing might mean : "Oh this is awesome! No need for normalmaps anymore, we can just smooth everything and it will look cool!". However the more experienced industry vets (programmers and artists alike) will understand that this is just an extra quality boost, but it will never replace quality assets and/or remove the need to UV meshes and paint textures. This is why the voxel guys showing off their engine have zero credibility here, and this is why Carmack is so humble about his tech. No piece of tech can replace well crafted art ...
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you considered writing an email to Carmack? I'm sure he'd have some thoughts for your paper.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hapCuhAs1nA"]John Carmack Interview: GPU Race, Intel Graphics, Ray Tracing and Voxels and more! - PC Perspective - YouTube[/ame]
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    It's official the future is not in voxels but ray tracing to supplement quality dynamic soft shadows and the next console generation feature micropolygon tessellation. so says Carmack.

Blows me away that he does not even know how beautiful and immersive nvsurround/eyefinity makes RAGE? Well mebbe he iz werkin' on dem goodies for the PC version?

Thanks for posting
    Seems many of his views for the future are the same as:
    http://graphics.cs.williams.edu/archive/SweeneyHPG2009/TimHPG2009.pdf
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Ray Traceing FTW.

Crysis 2 Ray-Marched reflections are cool. I just wish they would actually reflect things off screen, it's a little jarring to have a true reflection fade into a cube map when you slightly move your camera.

BTW, what exactly is the difference between ray-marching and ray-tracing, is marching only done in 'screen space' (I think that's the right word)?