Home Technical Talk

Turbosmoothed model to ZBrush

I imported turbosmoothed model from 3ds Max, but because of support edges there are lots of pinching.
When I try to sculpt, details in these pinched areas look like «slivers» or something like that. How do I fix that?

wtftopology.jpg

Replies

• cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    If you don't care about preserving the turbosmoothed edgeflow, you could use dynamesh (or remesh + project). The result should look the same as far as the surface goes, but the topology will be more uniform. Normal retopology should even work too.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Did you turn off the isolines? Looks like max exported only tris not quads, oth erwise it might need an editpoly modifier on top. But for now my best bet would be isolines.
  • Visceral
    Dont bring in tubosmoothed models. The most important part here is to keep an even divided model (everywhere) otherwise you WILL get odd results when sculpting.

Its better to keep it lowerpoly but even rather than having all the details in there.
    Honestly the subdivision in Zbrush works perfectly fine.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Visceral wrote: »
    Dont bring in tubosmoothed models. The most important part here is to keep an even divided model (everywhere)

Why would turbosmooth do anything different? It subdivides as zbrush does, using the catmull clarke algorithm. However there are cases where turbosmooth is better then zbrushs version. When it comes to open borders (like a piece of cloth or something) as it keeps the other proportions. Also you can do material- or smoothinggroup based smoothing with turbosmooth, which will most likely always give you cleaner and more evenly spread polies than a chamfered mesh will give you. So idon't see any reason why it should be wrong to export turbosmoothed meshes.
  • AntoxaGray
    cryrid wrote: »
    If you don't care about preserving the turbosmoothed edgeflow, you could use dynamesh (or remesh + project). The result should look the same as far as the surface goes, but the topology will be more uniform. Normal retopology should even work too.

When I tried to use remesh, all of my edges became wavy and sawtooth appeared on blade (tried with different settings of resolution and polish).
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Follow the remeshed skin up with a few subdivisions, and then use project all.
  • AntoxaGray
    I went another way, deleted all support edges and enabled smoothing groups in turbosmooth, now topology looks much better. But it eliminated all my beveled edges (the ones that give specular highlights), is there way to make them in ZBrush?

newtopology.jpg
  • Butthair
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    You could try playing with the Polish deformation, with that little circle thing clicked off. It should smooth out sharper corners, but it might take a bit of time, depending.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    The trim brushes can also sometimes make good bevels. I would still try to have them beveled in the base though, or at least try to project the previous version if you were happy with the overall form.