Home Unreal Engine

Material Node errors. Please help!

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
gannonroader polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys, I posted about this in the UDK sticky, but i've been waiting for 4 days for an answer, and it's holding me up to the point that i'm getting restless and decided to reach out to the people who might not check the sticky regularly in hopes of moving ahead.

My problem is an error in 2 nodes. The creator of the shader said he was going to fix it in an updated blog post, but like I said, it's been 4 days of hitting refresh every couple hours so I can continue on with my work.

Here is the area of my network that's effected

http://s647.photobucket.com/albums/uu192/gannonroader/?action=view¤t=myErrors.jpg

I should not that the effected areas are in the comment boxes "Distortion/Normal" and "Displacement"
here is his shader network

http://dirty-windows.de//ocean_mattree/ocean_mattree.jpg

I hope someone can help me out here, i'm at a brick wall.

Replies

• Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    I haven't been able to Check the full material pic but from the photobucket img it looks like The issues are you are using a world normal node in a chain that links to a pixel shader input. Udk only allows the world normal to input into a vertex shader input, which presently is only the displacement input.
    The second one your depth biased alpha is missing an input connection, but according to the error message in that screenshot it looks like you have that chain hooked into the displacement input, which doesn't take a depth biased alpha since it's a per pixel evaluated node not per vertex
  • Hellfire
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellfire polycounter lvl 14
    Hi gannonroader,
    sry for no repl,y
    i try my mat and he works.

Use DX11 for Tessellation (MTM_FlatTessellationMode)

Can i show your complete mattree image?
  • gannonroader
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeap, i'm using the proper tesselation, and you sure can show me anything you feel like showing me. I like learning whatever I can.

Edit:sorry, bit of a translation error there, you want to see MY mattree image. I'll put one together, just give me a few mins.

hmmmm, i'm suddenly realising I have no idea how to take a picture of something so big hahaha.
  • gannonroader
    Offline / Send Message
    ahhhhhh! I got it! I had 2 nodes mixed up. Fixed Everything, now while i have you here, can I apply this to a plane, or should I import a static mesh? Or is there even a difference? And how many sections?

My final product looks nowhere near as beautiful as yours either hahahaha. I'd imagine i'm going to have to do a lot of value tweaking.
  • gannonroader
    Offline / Send Message
    my foam seems to be distributed over the entire mesh as well, where yours seems to only be around objects in the water. it's kind of distracting. Also, you can see through my waves.
  • gannonroader
    Offline / Send Message
    I've noticed in several of these water tutorials, theres a way to affect the sand as the waves wash over, changing specularity and hue by the looks of it. Is that done in the water shader, or the terrain mat?
  • SirCalalot
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    It would most likely be in the terrain shader, but I wouldn't know how to make the intersecting water geometry change the sand material on the fly. I'm not sure you can flag up specific geometry (the water) to affect the shader while ignoring the influence of other objects (rocks, for instance).

The simple method I would use is to possibly hand-paint the blend weight of the wet-looking sand over the terrain manually. The alpha of this wet layer would be animated to give the impression of waves blending it in and out.

Sorry I can't be more helpful - perhaps someone else has a more technical solution.
  • gannonroader
    Offline / Send Message
    no no, any help is appreciated. It's a pretty complex thing.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zggG0wCD7yw"]UDK Ocean Material Download Knights: Spiral Islands - YouTube[/ame]

Here's an example of what I mean. I downloaded this shader, but it doesn't seem to have some of the bells and whistles that are in the video, so it probably isn't in the ocean shader itself. It's not 100% needed, i'd just like to experiment with it. I find it adds alot to the look, and I also need to learn how to have the waves and foam wash in and out around the shoreline only. Would that be a seperate mesh and material?
  • gannonroader
    Offline / Send Message
    ahhhh, i think I see how it's done now just by rewatching the video. The texture is just darkened a bit in the areas the water would reach. Simple enough. I'll try that out. Any idea on the waves though? Mine look a little bland as is.
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Its based on depth bias. Are you sure you dont have the wrong material? Check here
    if thats not it i think i have it somewhere.