Home Technical Talk

Leather hidr texture or sculpt?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
How would you procede to make a realistic game texture for leather? Zbrushing it iu and aven the leather pores and such ? Or painting most of ut and may be after extract normal map details withba crazybimp or similar programs? And how you would go for making it look realistic? I have tried both and the layered in stack a generic tecture o leather under a occlusion map , added some photoshop highlights and shadows but tge result is pretty noob ..... Im tryng to do the leather look for a vonan leather circlet so is not a modern leather like sifas or jackets :/ ...

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    To be honest mate it just seems to me that you need to concentrate on one thing at a time - as far as i can work out you're working on at least 3 projects this week alone.

Also, here's some advice i was given 25 years ago that's stuck with me because its brilliant advice...

Draw what you see, not what's there.

Work on observation above all other skills - nobody can tell you now to make something look the way you want, we can tell you how to achieve a technical goal but can't pull an image out of your head and explain how to make it.

As for leather, i usually just Google up some appropriate leather, clone it about a bit and add some shading
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Haha no is that is holiday and i am far from my pc so brainstorming bout stuff i want to do and usinh iphone to type :) i guess i suffer from modeling astinence -_- ....
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    There are a lot of leathery alphas you could experiment with to see if they can give you the kind of result you're looking for.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Yes i know that ihave some but i am wondering on whats better and what detail level to use as if i make the sculpted leather look then i can't use i guess a texture of leather after ... Or should i jist paint over the colors on an oclusion map but if the effect is subtle tgen i think the occlusion won't even show the leather patterns ...
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    There is no absolute better, there is no absolute set detail level to use. Some things you just have to spend a few minutes experimenting with in order to get a hang of the effects they can achieve. Then you'll be left with a better understanding of what might be better for you depending on the look you want, the goal of the prop, etc.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Hi thanks a lot for the tips , I was trying to create a cavity map in Zbrush but I see no tool for it ... I did find mask by cavity and I really like theshading I am getting there but I have no tools to export this mask to a texture , how can I do that?

Btw I did try the cavity too in xnormal but it comes out a purple texture that had nothing of a cavity , also the occlusion is very washed out in xnormal , any way I can improve or do it in zbrush may be?

the only good thing coming out better in xnormal is the normal map itself that for some reason the Zbrush one gets offsetted on borders ....

but the problem is that I dunno why I need to split into pieces the model for xnormal to get a decent normal map it doesn't take all the subtools of zbrush to make a good texture or I am missing something?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Unde ZPlugins, use MultiMap Exporter. It has an option to export a cavity map. Otherwise you can use the cavity mask along with color fill to create a black and white texture which you can export instead. Same deal to get Ambient Occlusion from Zbrush.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I do not see this multimap exporter is something I need to download?
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Nvm I downloaded and Installed thankyou .... I wonder why all those plugins aren't just inserted in the program .....
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    it says subtool skipped no uvs asigned ..

Why that I used a mesh that has UV map finely done and I could create even normal map and export in zbrush but then why asks me this and desn't create it?

May be because I used a decimated model?
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I did try using the high poly original model and this time it saved the maps but are completely messed up >_< !!!

http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/6011/71925906.jpg
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Nvm I downloaded and Installed thankyou .... I wonder why all those plugins aren't just inserted in the program .....
    I'm pretty sure they are if you're using the latest version.
    May be because I used a decimated model?
    Did you preserve the UVs during the decimation process? It would wipe them out otherwise since it's changing the topology and all.

That map problem is the same from the other thread, UVs are most likely touching the borders.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Seems even the uvs in effect are messed up , but befoure they where perfect , could this have been coused after I split the sgroups into different subtools?
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    surface mimic has some really good leather alphas- this one is my favorite since the details are a little larger: http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/635654
    I get the best results projecting the alphas in areas of tension and near edges and then working them in with the trim dynamic soft brush. Global micro texture rarely looks good - especially after a bake. Also a light touch is best with this sort of thing.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I really do not understand if I bring to lowest resolution level the circlet mesh I am making then generate the normal maps the come out somehow messed but if I export the low res mesh and import in 3dsmax the uvs are fine ... What's wrong with my model :(poly127.gif
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I am exporting the lowest res model , I reimport in max fix the uv shifting reesport , reimport as lowest subdivision in zbrush and the uv get shifted again ......!!!!!

What's wrong here? :( I can't even fix? They where fine befoure but seems that Zbrush shifts all times the uvs a little but under the uv square border ....
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    What do they look like in Max vs in Zbrush?
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    11326579.jpg

When I import the mesh in Zbrush says mismatch points-order in the imported mesh , was detected and auto-corrected....
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    You should probably scale them down more regardless. Looks like they're right at the border even on the original version. Leave a few pixels on every side
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    O did but it always keeps saying this mismatched points order , what's that? I did add 1 square of the checkerboard map for each side and still same results!!!
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    and no matters what I do but after I reexport the low poly version it always reverts back the uvmap to that shifted one ...
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    are you using the zbrush preset when exporting your obj?

if not - you're in for a world of pain and this could be one of many symptoms.

the bad news is that if you didnt use it when you exported the original base, using it now probably wont help.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Make a radical change, such as rotating the entire UVs 90 degrees, reimport into zbrush, and check what they look like inside of zbrush. It's possible you're not even importing the UVs.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I did shrinck it all to a center and the same it reverts back ..... it always says mismatched blabla .....
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Then somewhere along the line, the mesh you're importing isn't the same as the mesh you exported. I would export it from zbrush as it is, scale the UVs without doing anything to change the point order, and then reimport. Deleting any polygroups before exporting keeps things predictable.

Otherwise duplicate the mesh, delete the higher subdivision levels, run UV Master using existing UV seams, flatten it, scale the islands with transpose, unflatten, copy the UVs and then paste them back onto the original.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I used nly exported meshes from Zbrush as low subdivision anyway for now .....GIVING UP on Zbrush I tried Xnormal and its worst than else Am I so unable to make normals damnit!

they come all overlapping or something wrong dunno why .... I exported each of the subtools and loaded as high poly then loaded the low poly that is the same base mesh of the zbrush , then I even placed a plane on high poly for the occlusion , well apart dthat doesnt take some normals others get projected on other meshes ...

Edit:

Ok now that's weird according to the normal map in xnormal some rivets I added shoudl look halved instead are fine :o ..... ???

Mah ....

Anyway I really want to fix that normal map thing and cavity issues in Zbrush ... may be I shoudl use GOZ?