Home General Discussion

Dilema: Don't know where to start

BojanStankovski
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
BojanStankovski polycounter lvl 6
I know that i am posting very useless questions, but i need your advice guys, i am total stranger, in this really strange world.

At the moment i am learning Maya, from Cgtuts, and i have few in mind that i want to do after Cgtuts. The problem is, my thoughts are going for Zbrush.

I really want to learn this, and master it, So i can be able to sculpt everything i can, from environment, to hard surface things, i am not really into in characters,it will takes years to master anatomy, or even to know the basics.Which is, i am planing to learn from Scott Eaton tutorials, what do you think of this guys? but i do want to sculpt hard surface robots,

So what do i learn first? Maya, Zbrush? I am into VFX for features movies, i want to be 3D environment modeler.

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Let me ask you this, why do you want to learn Environment and HD? VFX seems like a nice gig to have, if you know what I mean.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Maya is what you should start with, or a similar 3d program like 3ds max. Learn the basics first, I only use zbrush for sculpting stuff. You won't even need zbrush for making environment props mostly and usually hard-surface stuff takes longer time with zbrush.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    I know that i am posting very useless questions, but i need your advice guys, i am total stranger, in this really strange world.

At the moment i am learning Maya, from Cgtuts, and i have few in mind that i want to do after Cgtuts. The problem is, my thoughts are going for Zbrush.

I really want to learn this, and master it, So i can be able to sculpt everything i can, from environment, to hard surface things, i am not really into in characters,it will takes years to master anatomy, or even to know the basics.Which is, i am planing to learn from Scott Eaton tutorials, what do you think of this guys? but i do want to sculpt hard surface robots,

So what do i learn first? Maya, Zbrush? I am into VFX for features movies, i want to be 3D environment modeler.

You answered your own question sir. If you want to start learning zbrush while learning Maya. Start learning zbrush while learning Maya. =\
  • BojanStankovski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    You answered your own question sir. If you want to start learning zbrush while learning Maya. Start learning zbrush while learning Maya. =\

I thought that too, but isn't that a bit overwhelming? I mean, how should ii balance while learning Maya and Zbrush?
  • BojanStankovski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Let me ask you this, why do you want to learn Environment and HD? VFX seems like a nice gig to have, if you know what I mean.

I have no idea what do you mean, i am sorry, and what the hell is HD (high quality) LOL?
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    ...So i can be able to sculpt everything i can(??), from environment, to hard surface things, i am not really into in characters,it will takes years to master anatomy, or even to know the basics. but i do want to sculpt hard surface robots,

So what do i learn first? Maya, Zbrush? i want to be 3D environment modeler
    Well, you just answered your own question. For environments and props - any standard 3D modeling package will do (Maya, Max, XSI, Silo, etc.). ZBrush should be the last thing on your mind at this moment - it will be used mainly for touch-ups/detail in this case. Got to have the foundations down first - it is all about functionality of a model/prop which requires the knowledge of proper topology/geometry flow, UV'ing, map creation, etc.

While you can definitely create hard surface stuff in ZBrush (check out the latest Eat3D DVD), do not expect to be hired as an environment artist with just the knowledge of 1 app which primary focus is on sculpting.
    it will takes years to master anatomy, or even to know the basics
    This is not the right mindset to have. Learning anything is hard work and will take a lot of time (depends on your will and how much you want it too, obviously). There are no shortcuts - so don't beat yourself up and expect to become a great 3d modeler in half a year just because you switched from organic to hard surface.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    If you want to be an environment modeler, just start by making some props in 3Ds Max/Maya; I wouldn't worry about ZBrush for now.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    And, as usual : show us what you can do already, either 2d, 3d, or anything inbetween.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought that too, but isn't that a bit overwhelming? I mean, how should ii balance while learning Maya and Zbrush?

It depends on what you really want to be and what you really want to master first. If you go for Maya, later on you will see how Zbrush evolves in to everyone's work flows while working with Maya and you will have to learn Zbrush eventually.

So My suggestion is, since zbrush is pretty straight forward and easy to learn (Basics atleast). You should spend atleast 1-2 hours on it, while spending 4 hours learning Maya.

I guarantee you that you will know the basics of Zbrush before you finish learning basics of maya.

Start creating simple things like a pillar or a crate, re-topologize it (that means, recreate a lower polygon counted version of the model, using the high resolution model as a reference,) and see how everything falls in to process of, and final render of one good model. Take notes.

And lastly, like Sir Pior said, "And, as usual : show us what you can do already, either 2d, 3d, or anything inbetween."

I assume you are at the very very start of things so, create a crate, texture it, and post it in Pimp and Preview section for critics and take things from there.

Good luck

EDIT: You can just create a crate in maya, to start with, you dont need zbrush for a low poly crate or bench or anything, unless you plan to really beef up the texture. Which in your case, cant happen just yet.
  • BojanStankovski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see, i will show something, when i have, just now, i am worry, where and how to start. I am losing hours, by reading articles and finding tutorials for it.

I will do the tutorials form Maya, from DT, even i hate DT, i always got very sleepy.

I know that with one program i can't be hired, at the moment i know Photoshop, before i switch to 3D, i was graphic designer for 6-7 months.

At least is good to know Maya, Photoshop, Zbrush? Else what?.. Nuke? Even for environment artist, they want to know Nuke, why?

And now about texturing, this is part, for me is totally confused. I will copy my question, that i have posted at CgTalk
    When you finish high detail model, whatever is character or something else, The next step is to have clean UV's right?
    And now, what map is need to generate, so you can put that in Photoshop, do hand painting, or whatever is the approach to get realistic texture, then what do you do then? What other maps are created when you put your texture from Photoshop to Maya? In what order?

Sorry for the noob question, i am totally confused, and i have no idea how to construct this question. Let's sum, what maps are created when you done the uv's process, and in what order. Do i need to do also normal mapping, like in games?

I've seen really good VFX breakdowns, from movies, especially i've been hooked from Clash of the titans, the scorpion battle, the Wizards , forgot how they call them, also the medusa battle.

Other things i want to ask is, do i need degree for this? Can i learn everything by myself? From tutorials and playing around with Maya, every day?

What about some traditional art? Color, light, etc. How and Where should i learn this?
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    You are worrying too much! And you don't need a degree to learn. Just start making something in Maya, right now. You may run into problems as you work, but that is when you look for solutions. You can't always find a solution for everything beforehand, since you really don't know what problems you may run into. And don't worry about Zbrush yet haha.

It is good to have traditional art skills. You can learn by doing lots of master copies of artists you admire, and still lifes/life drawings. Again, you don't need to go to school for this.

In case you choose to learn with 3Ds Max instead, here's a great workflow, by Ott, on how to make a game asset. The workflow may or may not be the same if you're working with Maya, but at least it's a place to start and may answer some of your basic questions.

In any case, I would just jump right in, and use any tutorials just to follow along as you work. Good luck :]
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see, i will show something, when i have, just now, i am worry, where and how to start. I am losing hours, by reading articles and finding tutorials for it.

I will do the tutorials form Maya, from DT, even i hate DT, i always got very sleepy.

I know that with one program i can't be hired, at the moment i know Photoshop, before i switch to 3D, i was graphic designer for 6-7 months.

At least is good to know Maya, Photoshop, Zbrush? Else what?.. Nuke? Even for environment artist, they want to know Nuke, why?

And now about texturing, this is part, for me is totally confused. I will copy my question, that i have posted at CgTalk

Other things i want to ask is, do i need degree for this? Can i learn everything by myself? From tutorials and playing around with Maya, every day?

What about some traditional art? Color, light, etc. How and Where should i learn this?

lol, You know the first time I opened a 3d modeling software back than it was just Maya PLE. I just sat there and looked at the screen, kept on thinking where to begin. I was that confused. But later on it wasnt that difficult to figure things out. All I needed was an idea, which was a rusty room, filled with music equipment and a mic in the middle. (which I can not show because I delete stuff often and it was really long ago) but the idea is what you need to begin with. Doesnt matter where. So, pick an idea and start working on it. If you get stuck, ask questions here (Lucky you, I didnt even know PC existed when I started learning that stuff.)

Right now, you dont need stuff like Composite tool by Autodesk or a Nuke by Foundry. Or Motion builder or anything that comes after you are good with 3d modeling and texturing. All you need, is a program that allows you to model stuff. And ofcourse, an idea.

You do not need a diploma or degree to start learning this stuff when it is available to you. You would require a degree or diploma if you want to work outside the country you live in. Some people here, dont even have a diploma, yet they are working at Ubisoft and other known game studios. So technically, you do not require a diploma for it, unless you want one.

Traditional art: is basically drawing stuff on piece of paper instead of photoshop. If you want to learn that, you can just buy a sketchbook, and pencils and start drawing whatever you want to draw. Or digitally draw whatever you want to draw. Like you said, you know photoshop so it shouldnt be hard for you. Worry about the shadow and lightning details later.

Bottom line, you are confused and that is ok, because you are starting something new. You will be afraid ,confused, and worried about the stuff, most of the time. The trick is to take one step at a time and not giving up on what you start. One step as simple as, opening a 3d modeling software, and playing with the cube to make something out of it. It doesnt matter what. This will help you become comfy with the 3d environment and functions.

Atleast you can do that, you dont have to post anything at this moment, you are at the very start of things so. Just learn Maya and play around with the UI and a cube in the edit mode until you are comfy with it, than you can start moving further on to the stuff like, texturing, lightning, and so on.

Ya, DT tutorials will put you to sleep, but they are good for people who are starting out on 3d. I used to take notes while watching it, that how, I am doing something to keep myself awake while watching DT. And drink alot of tea.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Don't over think it Bo, that's a stressful disservice to yourself. Get messy messing up lol
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Start drawing, start making stuff.

Aspire to make better stuff.

Study to correct your mistakes.

Repeat.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Without repeating any of the above, Go on website such as Cghub or Conceptart.org, Find something you like, make it. Trip, fall, stumble along the way and see where you went wrong. Then improve on it.
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    polycount is your bff.
  • Timmywithag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Timmywithag triangle
    I feel that I relate to this lost or confused feeling you seem to have also the over thinking and worrying, definitely that lol. I don't have any advice or inspiring stories to add but I wanted to say that reading all this helped me.

I have been struggling in what I feel is a similar way, though I just finishing up my Associates In Design and animation ( I don't think you said you had any formal education sorry if I'm wrong) I still don't know what to do. I enjoy everything about modeling and texturing. I have projects and I'm trying to be driven but I feel I need guidance and this if a little of what I was looking for.

I personally will start being active in the modeling challenges. Hopefully this will keep my attention and maybe Ill finish a model and get to texture it.

sorry If this was just kind of a pointless post but I wanted to share how this helped me.