Home Technical Talk

Maya, Can't bevel/copy and edge

I am doing a tutorial from 3D palace, Ultimax Apocalypse. Here is video and i am trying to bevel a edge. Did everything, re-model but. i can't find what's wrong with this.

cZrJO.jpg

He first cut the faces, select the edge and use bevel, and he got copy from the edge.

Replies

• malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Try it on a fresh cube and see if it works. It works fine for me.
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could have posted your second problem in your other thread

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92593

Anyway try dividing that big Ngon then bevel
    Enable the command line it may tell you why you cant make the bevel
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    it's the ngon causing your problem, maya doesn't know how it should be making the new edge(such as how many edges and verts should be in it)

just select the edge ring and do a connect, if you need it to match the exact angle of the pre-existing edge, just do a edge slide, and slide it right into the orgianl edge, than pull it back with the transform widget.
  • Mane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What the hell is ngon? I tried on simple cube, and it is works.
  • Pola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pola polycounter lvl 6
    An ngon if you looked it up on like google would tell you something like its a polygon with more than 4 edges, which is something you usually want to avoid.

I made the shape with a cube then booleaned a cylinder through the corner, used cut face tool and when I bevelled the edge loop it worked fine. I'd try reseting your bevel settings and if that doesn't work play around with the settings like width. If no luck then it could be related to history or the size of you model/unit size in preferences.

Alternatively you should be able to do what passerby suggested which achieves the same result.
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beat me to it Pola lol

@Mane

It works on a simple cube because its perfectly divided into quads
    Ngons are faces that have more than 4 vertexes per face they are usually bad and need be avoided

Example of N-gon:
    ncdx1g.png

Now divide that ish!