Home General Discussion

Company policy on side-projects

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
osman polycounter lvl 18
I'm pretty sure most of us here are doing side/personal projects while they work full time at a certain studio.

I was wondering if some people could share what the policy of their current job is on commercial side-projects, like iPhone games. Do most companies prohibit projects that you want to publish on the App Store etc?

Also, for the non-commercial side-projects, does the company you work for, own the rights to the stuff you do AFTER you're daily job? Or is whatever you do at home, yours.

Also I'm not sure if people are comfortable with sharing this kind of information, if they are not, sorry for asking.

Thanks.

Replies

• Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Anything you do at home that is not commisioned work is yours, period. Unless stated otherwise in your work contract. And if it does say that, I'd recommend getting the fuck out. :)
    It becomes slightly more difficult if you do some of you project's work on the workplace. Like during lunchtime... The company can then argue that the project is theirs because you made it on their time.

Some work agreements can carry a non compete clause, so direct competition with the companies main commercial interest is not allowed then. But if you're working for a AAA company that has no plans to make mobile games, I fail to see the problem if you want to make an iPhone game for instancen. But be sure to check with your employer and re-read your work agreement to be sure!
    If your contract does not have a non compete clause, you're basically free to do whatever you want.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most companies will have a contract policy stating that ANYTHING you develop whilst employed at that company (in your spare time or otherwise) is wholly owned by that company. And that you are not allowed to make money from other sources whilst in the employ of that company.

The property/IP thing generally won't get brought into effect - it's just to cover bases and arses.

The making money thing - especially if it's a direct competitor or related to what you do at work (i.e. selling a game you made yourself) - will more than likely be frowned upon unless you get it cleared, though.

Mods and non-commercial stuff - so long as it's not a direct competitor - eh, probably not going to get you in trouble but it's still worth getting it cleared.

The scope and severity of this will vary from contract to contract and country to country.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    osman wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure most of us here are doing side/personal projects while they work full time at a certain studio.

I was wondering if some people could share what the policy of their current job is on commercial side-projects, like iPhone games. Do most companies prohibit projects that you want to publish on the App Store etc?

Also, for the non-commercial side-projects, does the company you work for, own the rights to the stuff you do AFTER you're daily job? Or is whatever you do at home, yours.

Also I'm not sure if people are comfortable with sharing this kind of information, if they are not, sorry for asking.

Thanks.

what you do on your own time should be none of their business. they dont own your personal time. just make sure you dont do anything personal/side project on your wrok place. if you have side projects, then just keep it secret.

in some cases the company sponsors your work visa and in the contract specifies you work for them exclusively and for no one else. this is the only exception though.

other than that, you should be able to do what ever you want with when you are not in the office.
  • elGuapo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am more familiar with movie industry rules on this, and Talon is correct. Some companies will own ANYTHING you come up with while you work there, regardless of it is on work time. It is in the contract. So, you should check into what your company has in the contract you signed.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea almost every work contract i have had states they own everything and can use stuff like your newly created personal/portfolio work. kinda bullshit, so just dont tell them. besides there is usually no way its worth getting into a legal battle with a lowly artist who makes under 100k a year for anything. if they were assholes to me i would just say fuck it and walk off the job.
  • jipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe polycounter lvl 17
    The simple answer is never to sign contracts that try to claim ownership over your personal ideas. The complex answer is that, in practice, it's a lot easier said than done. But you still have the right to hire your own lawyer to look over contracts and make suggestions for revisions. Studios have their lawyers draw up contracts that favor the studio; it's not an "us vs. them" mentality, it's just a fact that works both ways -- if you hire a lawyer, he'll be looking out for you, not your employer. Read your contracts carefully and don't just sign blindly. Clauses that claim ownership of all your personal ideas are bullshit -- they own your time and effort during working hours, not your creative IP output (unless you are specifically under contract to provide ideas, which isn't the domain of most artists).

That said, it's reasonable for studios not to want you to make products that compete with their business. Some are strict (no personal games whatsoever) while others make allowances for mobile games if they have no history or intention of entering the market. I know of one feature animation studio that makes you pitch your short ideas internally before you can produce it on your own. Some have you write all your ideas down on a giant list before you start working -- I suppose as legal proof of your personal ideas before you were influenced by your job at that company.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    It depends on the employee contract you sign. Some companies stipulate that any and all work you do while employed by them is their property. Some companies simply require that you not be producing products that might directly compete with their business.

The easiest way to get around such stipulations is to create your own company. This is actually fairly common when working on iPhone games. Just file the proper paperwork with your state government to form your own little S-Corp. Once you have your own company, you can simply publish your games under that company. If the rights to the games are owned by your company (and not by you personally), then the company that you work at during the day can't lay any claim to them.

Of course, the BEST course of action is to check with your employer first, and ideally insist that your employee contract allow for a little more freedom in this matter. I actually don't work for a game company, so this issue never comes up for me. My hobby is wholly unrelated to my day job, and I checked my employee contract for such particulars before signing on board.
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    I've heard it's kind of a gray area... sort of... a "don't ask, don't tell" for the games industry (or other creative industries that have IPs)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    A small iphone project would essentially entail you running your own company on the side of your real work, which can in some cases be against the interests of your employer, but it's all up to what your contract says.
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Ok thanks for the replies, it seems the the policy on this differs alot in every company.
    I've requested aproval for mine, will hear back soon I hope.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Let us know as I am also curious, best of luck too, these shady contracts aren't cool they stop you completely from producing more work that you could otherwise be hired for/from by another employer and prevents what you can show on in your portfolio hindering you from appearing productive, shady moves indeed.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    if you're really concerned, check with a lawyer. different countries - different rules. Remember, just because a clause is in a contract doesn't mean it applies! (e.g just as most EULAs don't reallty apply in the EU).

e.g any clauses in your contract that go against national law are void and it doesn't matter that you agreed to them. e.g in some EU countries anti compete clauses are just pretty much meaningless. same goes for claiming ownership clauses. so check with a lawyer for a definite answer to this question. It all depends where you are and on the local labor laws which govern work contracts.
  • Wrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wrath polycounter lvl 18
    osman wrote: »

Thanks.

Generally, salaried employees fall under the "work made for hire" doctrine. Legally speaking anything you do while employeed, whether at home on your free time or not, belongs to the company. I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know what the legal boundaries of this are. Nearly every job I've had has pretty clearly spelled this out in the initial paperwork and employee contract, even going so far as to declare personal projects you were working on prior to being hired so they could be properly exempted.

Now, I'd personally like to believe that most companies are not asshats about this. Very unlikely that they'll try to claim ownership of something you've done on your personal time. I have no idea how they'd go about proving something you worked on was done while working for them in a court of law. I believe these work-for-hire claims are mainly there to protect their own intellectual property while you're employed with them.

But, you'll be far better off if you talk to someone at work, explain exactly what you're doing (in as much detail as your comfortable with sharing), and get them to sign some sort of document saying that your personal project is exempt. You can't go wrong with signed documents.
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry to revive this thread from the dead, but I thought some people might be interested in an update.

I have decided to not extend my contract with the company because we could not find a good solution to this. They simply don't like it when one of their employees is working on his own game in his free time.

We did try to work something out, but it was messy in all cases so I decided to just end it there, and take a year off and try doing my own games.

As for the legality of things, here is a bit more info that I found out( I live in Holland, so not sure how accurate this if for the rest)
    • Even if it states in your contract that everything you do is theirs, they won't be able to make hard in court or whatever.
    • If you are working on a game together with someone, that removes ALL the rights from your current employee, since they can't claim your partners part of the work.
    • The official reason I got for not being able to do my own stuff was that if I did, there was a higher chance I would want to leave the company and get distracted.

I was lucky that the company was pretty easy to talk to, so I will actualy be doing some freelance stuff for them, and keep in touch.

So 2012 is going to be an experemental year for me, it's scary but also exciting.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Just do what I do, say you're busy with Amnesia.
  • Belias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Belias polycounter lvl 14
    my company don't allow to work on making games for 5 years after you quit there job, this is so redicoulous, I asked them to change this part of the contract and they did.
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    grats on your leap of faith, oz

best of luck :)
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    It's in 99% of fulltime employee contracts that any idea, workflow, process or game developed by the employee, onsite or off work, is property of the studio. That said, most employers are perfectly fine with their employees working on mods or non-competitive products on the side.
  • jipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe polycounter lvl 17
    Good contracts will limit the scope of work-for-hire to assets or ideas created on company time, using company tools (hardware, software, etc.), for the company's project. There is no reason to ever sign a contract that seeks ownership over what you make in your personal time on your own computer.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Intersting thread. I've been curious about this recently.

Its a shame your company can't let you do something on the side osman. Just seems wrong that any company can claim that anything done outside of work belongs to them. I'd also be walking away from any company that enforces this policy.

My coding partner is thinking about asking permission to do our game. I will tell her to review her contract first to see if there are any "outside" work policies. But its comforting to read that:

"If you are working on a game together with someone, that removes ALL the rights from your current employee, since they can't claim your partners part of the work."

As the game is my concept and i'm doing all the art. They wont be able to claim on it.

Will procede with caution though. Thanks for posting this.
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    @stinger88,
    Yeah it's good that you guys are being cautious with this.

And I personaly think that one of the problems we have in our industry is the thought'go ahead and leave, there is 20 other candidates waiting to fill in your job for almost no pay'. And we really have to fix that, don't just accept anything they offer you, don't accept insultingly low pay. This is the reason I decided to just leave.

I know that not everyone has the luxery to do this, some poeple just need a job desperately. But I really hope to see some improvement in our industry. I'm lucky that in my case my company actually TRIED to find a solution to this, but it was not quite what I personally wanted. But credit where it's due, they did try instead of just saying NO.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    companies stipulate that any
    The easiest way to get around such stipulations is to create your own company. This is actually fairly common when working on iPhone games. Just file the proper paperwork with your state government to form your own little S-Corp. Once you have your own company, you can simply publish your games under that company. If the rights to the games are owned by your company (and not by you personally), then the company that you work at during the day can't lay any claim to them.

a "limited liability" company:
    Balls n Knuckles LLC ( texas )
    will do just that. ( unless yes perpetuating outright criminal fraud )

Depending on what state all you need is a friend savvy enough to file a "Articles of Organization."
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Yikes that seems pretty crazy.

It's like if I worked on a fishing boat, but still fished as a hobby when I got home. Then they come and take the fish I caught on the weekend.
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Maph wrote: »
    Anything you do at home that is not commisioned work is yours, period. Unless stated otherwise in your work contract. And if it does say that, I'd recommend getting the fuck out. :)
    It becomes slightly more difficult if you do some of you project's work on the workplace. Like during lunchtime... The company can then argue that the project is theirs because you made it on their time.

Some work agreements can carry a non compete clause, so direct competition with the companies main commercial interest is not allowed then. But if you're working for a AAA company that has no plans to make mobile games, I fail to see the problem if you want to make an iPhone game for instancen. But be sure to check with your employer and re-read your work agreement to be sure!
    If your contract does not have a non compete clause, you're basically free to do whatever you want.

most big companies do have a part of the contract that says your intellectual property is theres. the last big company I worked for said that if I made anything that they could use in business (i.e stuff that theyre in the business of making, like software) then it was theirs for the taking.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I advise anyone under contract with a company and thinking just setting up a LLC or SCorp in order to get around their contracts to seek legal advice from a lawyer.

There is such a thing as Piercing the corporate veil, where an individual is still vulnerable to lawsuits because the court will look beyond the legal status of a LLC or SCorp to the actual situation of an individual actually being the entirety of the company that they have set up.

@osman:

Best of luck with your game(s)!

It sucks that you had to quit your job to be able to work on your own commercial projects.

Companies should really be encouraging that sort of thing, because honestly it'll likely be the top tier employees doing these kinds of things rather than the bottom of the barrel people just trying to pull in the next paycheck. Losing such employees from a company is a huge mistake in the long run IMHO.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Ben Apuna wrote: »
    I advise anyone under contract with a company and thinking just setting up a LLC or SCorp in order to get around their contracts to seek legal advice from a lawyer.

There is such a thing as Piercing the corporate veil, where an individual is still vulnerable to lawsuits because the court will look beyond the legal status of a LLC or SCorp to the actual situation of an individual actually being the entirety of the company that they have set up.

Correct... Don't do that.
    If the veil is ever lifted there should be a lot of angry developers ( your like minded associates ) under there. Having a legal mind on that team is a plus.