Home Technical Talk

Is this possible? Bending a tila-able trim texture in the UV Layout.

synergy11
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
synergy11 polycounter lvl 6
Hi Folks.

I have a Rectangular window model that I would like to apply a specific part of my tile-able trim texture to. Is it possible? Please see attached pic.

I know this works for rounded arches. You can just straighten out the UV's of the arch and place them over the horizontal tiling part of the texture.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/11/trimquestion.jpg/

Any help appreciated!

Thanks.

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    If the window is made out of multiple pieces of wood, as most seem to be, wouldn't you want there to be some kind of seam?
  • Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    Most squares frames made of wood are made of multiple pieces like cyrid is saying.

http://www.artgalleryframes.com/images/FDN665-MPG.jpg

The only thing that wouldn't show up from making the seam where it would naturally occur is the slight darkness at the seam where the two parts meet from the wood stain buildup.

These are done at 45 degree angles and look fairly correct to anyone looking on. If you want it perpendicular like you have, I would say it looks fine as well, but if it is truly bothersome, and you want some form of dark line occurring, you have a few options.

- Make a unique frame texture at low res and mix a tiling wood detail with it.
    - Keep the tiling trim and vertex paint that area darker (you may need to add an extra loop in the geometry to control how much fade there is, this creates a bit more polygons)
    - Keep the tiling texture and combine that with a unique AO of the mesh (kind of like a second channel for lightmaps, but this will reference a texture) and combine them, multiplying the AO by the modular texture.

Those are the main three I can think of. It one sounds a bit unusual or vague, I'll be happy to expand upon it (with pictures!)
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry I should have clarified.

I want it to be a solid piece of stone from the texture in the pic.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    So you're looking for something like this?

xnTwy.jpg

I spammed some extra edgeloops in there and relaxed them a bit to help minimize distortion but you're going to get distortion, the tighter the angle the more distortion.

If you're looking for something different an illustration of the end result would be nice.
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes thanks!

That's exactly it.

I just needed to add more edgeloops. Duh aha.

Thanks
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    You are probably better off simply planer mapping it and leaving the "pointy" edges in the uvs and living with the seams it creates. Flattening them will create very noticeable distortion if the angle is too sharp.
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you mean leaving the pointy edges in the uvs?
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    whyohwhy.jpg
    why no this ? It's the simplest solution. Adding loops adds polygons :p + your texture is totally stretched.

If you really dont want a seam, you could make a unique texture for the whole window or just for the angle and try to make it match the other parts border.

whyohwhy2.jpg

Imo it really depends on how close you are/texture limitations but stretching the texture in the angle is the worst solution. Most games use the first solution, or a whole map for a window.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    If you want to be properly efficient, you should just make a flat strip and use the bend modifier to get the curve. You could make a unique texture but it will be very wasteful!
  • easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    trimquestion.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Just map it flat and stack your uvs making sure that the correct edges are on top of each other, you get some mirroring effects but this could be made fairly unoticable if you make the texture a bit blander at the corners.
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting solutions here folks.

Thanks much.

I'll try them out.