Home Technical Talk

extruding to a fixed height in zbrush

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Is possile that may be I dunno the right brush ? I amstill farly new to Zbrush and was wondeirng if there is any tool or brush that allows you like when passing over a mask to rise the model surface up to a fixed predetermined maximum so to have all the areas that you pass over at the same height without making errors when passing over the same parts...

Replies

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    You can use the deformation pallete to put numbers in
  • NAIMA
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Sorry I amno expert where I find these tools?
  • CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    If you store a morph target then use the layer brush, all strokes will stop at a maximum height defined by the brush strength. See if that's what you're after.
  • NAIMA
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Sorry I dunno what is a morph target .... I just let's say want to make a drawing freehand with the mask , then want to extrude that to a 1 cm from the surface uniformly .... how I do ?
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Mask > tool > deformation > and then inflate might do the job. But zbrush has no real scale so extruding exactly 1cm not sure if that is possible
  • NAIMA
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    well I dont mean 1 cm to be precise but an indication of a fixed height ... thanks tough I will try that ....
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Tools >> Deformation >> Inflate
    Sorry I dunno what is a morph target ....
    It's like saving the current shape of the model, so that you can make changes and then blend between the two. In the case of the Layer brush it'll give the brush a reference to use so that it wont build over top of each stroke like normal, but will only push the surface out so far regardless of how many times you sculpt over it.

Tools >> Morph Target >> StoreMT to Store a Morph Target
    Layer Brush with desired strength to Sculpt
    Tools >> Morph Target >> DeleteMT to delete Morph Target once you're happy
  • G3L
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    I think what Naima is asking might be one thing I've wondered myself.

I do know about morph targets but say for example I store a morph target on a flat plane with no scuplting done on it. Then I mask out areas of the plane and go over it with a layer brush. Now the awesome thing about layer brush is if I go over something while left-click holding, then it stays at that certain height. BUT if I go over that same area again with a layer brush, it'll bring the height up because I just basically started my left-click hold again so Zbrush thinks,"Ok this area will go up more because the user has started a new brush stroke..." I hope that made sense...

Anyways, having the morph target, sure you can bring some areas back down but what if you just want to keep sculpting with broad soft strokes over an area, yet also you want to keep the height to a certain level on a sculpt?

I've run into this problem when wanting to use the layer brush on models (namely rocks) where you want to build up the surface quickly over certain areas, yet going over the same area with the layer brush will bring it up, up and up, but I would like for the layer brush to stop bringing most of the rock higher than what it should at a certain point and only modifying the areas around it...make sense I hope? >_<
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    BUT if I go over that same area again with a layer brush, it'll bring the height up because I just basically started my left-click hold again so Zbrush thinks,"Ok this area will go up more because the user has started a new brush stroke..." I hope that made sense...

Anyways, having the morph target, sure you can bring some areas back down but what if you just want to keep sculpting with broad soft strokes over an area, yet also you want to keep the height to a certain level on a sculpt?

If you have a morph target stored, then the layer brush wont build over itself like normal. It sets it's intensity as the maximum limit using the morphtarget as the base reference instead of each new stroke.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d9aHiTfjaQ&quot;]Morph Targets and the Layer Brush - YouTube[/ame]
  • G3L
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the reply cryrid!

Tried that and it works for the most part but for whatever reason i'm getting these artifacts on my mesh.

This is a polyplane subdivided at 16 million polys. Any reason why I'm getting these random artifacts? It looks like it's happening in places where I go over an edge with the layer brush, thus creating what is seen here in parts.

zbrush_MOPRH.jpg
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I think it is the way the brush resamples itself. For planar objects you could go to the Picker palette and switch it over to Once Ori.

Another setting which I find works well for both planar and round shapes is to leave the picker at Cont Ori/Z, and under Brush>>Samples turn on buildup and contssamples (buildup seems to do the most to prevent such artifacts, with the latter limiting them even further).
  • G3L
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah! That did the trick! Thanks a lot! Hopefully that also answered the OP's question.

Now I wish I understood the mechanics behind what Continous Orientation and Mouse Down Orientation do >_>
  • AnimeAngel
    couldn't you just paint a mask and use the deformation>inflate? you could very quickly get a uniform extrusion that way.