Home General Discussion

What to charge for texturing / modelling?

I've been asked to work for a few months with a indie game, doing environmental modelling and texturing. I've mostly been active in the modding community for a some various games, and i've gained a little reputation that way. I have some minor experience with the gaming business (not payed work).

With this project I could for example use some of my previous work, sometimes with minor alterations, retexturing etc, some of which i've spent hundreds of hours with to get right. So i think it's hard when someone asks "what do you want per hour?"

What to charge for a fully textured tree, for example? It's an indie game so i'm not expecting to get rich or anything, and again, i've not worked as a professional 3D modeller. What could i charge per hour do you think?

Thanks.

Replies

• Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    Here is a pretty recent thread on this that might help: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92013
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    I was going to type out a response but EarthQuake pretty much covered what I was going to say in that thread Alemja linked. Though one thing not mentioned there is incorporating. To save yourself from the large amount of taxes you'd be paying the government as a self-employed individual you may want to consider working under an LLC. Not sure what country you live in but many states in the USA (like Texas) give large amount of tax breaks to corporations.
  • Artich0ke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I'm thinking of starting as a consultant, could be good to have a company, especially when buying new equipment or software, and ofcourse, for work too :)
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Charge them per hour.

$75 per hour is an average for a pro level guy. If you want to undercut from that: go right ahead.

For a tree, estimate how many hours it will take you to make that tree.

Also, get into the habit of charging for changes. If you know changes are coming, then charge them for what you think will be changed.
  • Artich0ke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isn't there a lot of competition in this field? I bet he could find someone in india or polen to do it for $10/h or so? And yeah it's a one person project, he has done all the work and is financing the whole thing, $75 is out of the question i believe.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Artich0ke wrote: »
    Isn't there a lot of competition in this field? I bet he could find someone in india or polen to do it for $10/h or so? And yeah it's a one person project, he has done all the work and is financing the whole thing, $75 is out of the question i believe.

ya but even freelancing for $10 a hour for 30 to 40 hours a week, is going to leave you in poverty, you cant pay living expenses off that little lone, cover the costs of actually doing the work such as all the software, hardware and taxes on the income.

yes it can be good to give some work away on mod projects to get experience, and a rep, but when it comes to this and any work with art or media, there comes the time when you need to make sure your getting the money you deserve.

also think of it this way,

i could get a job at a local cafe and get more than $10/hour serving coffee, actually when i was doing that kinda job years ago, i was getting $15/hour plus tips, so im sure most we see it as de- valuing your work to charge so little.
  • Julmust
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Charge them per hour.

$75 per hour is an average for a pro level guy. If you want to undercut from that: go right ahead.

For a tree, estimate how many hours it will take you to make that tree.

Also, get into the habit of charging for changes. If you know changes are coming, then charge them for what you think will be changed.

I want to highlight that this is with; health insurance, computer- & software costs, rent etc divided by a year and incorporated into the price. It's not a random number :) Do your own calculations on your expenses and savings, you could probably get away with less if you don't have family etc. That's where I would try to undercut pro's if you're young and don't have that many expenses.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    passerby wrote: »
    ya but even freelancing for $10 a hour for 30 to 40 hours a week, is going to leave you in poverty

The secret is...to finish at half the time or less.

So you're agreement is $10 x 40 hrs. Finish work at 20 hrs (maybe 2-3 days depending on your skill level), so you can make it into a $20/hr gig.

You don't have to turn in until the agreed date (except if there's a bonus incentive) nor do you have to tell the client you're that ninja.

But if you think you're better than $10 or $20 rates...for sure...good luck in scoring higher paying commissions.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    $75/hour is really standard for a professional level artist making a professional level salary. It's not exuberant by any means. If you want to undercut with a sub-minimum wage salary, go right ahead.

Then you break an arm, and get Autodesk auditing you for your software liscences, have not taken a day off in 3 years, then be my guest.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I personally don't believe any new artist should freelance for less than $20-25 an hour. Being a free lancer YOU have to cover your own insurance and pay for copies expensive professional software, and that money is also suppose to help cover gaps between different jobs. Plus you have to spend a lot more time looking for work.

Also quote someone 3x the hours you think it will take to complete, because people are really bad at low balling deadlines.
  • Artich0ke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont pay for health insurance (taxes are high here though), and this is a side income.

I asked for a lot less than the $75 ;) but my situation is different too, the more i earn the more my first income (a pension) will suffer. He's probably happy i'm cheap, i'm happy to get a foot into the business and gain yet a little more rep (+ i'm happy to work for a project i'm really excited about, and not just some random game i couldnt care less about). Win-win.
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sama.van polycounter lvl 14
    I put my prices over my website to filter a little more massive spam from random guys requesting 3D. But really dunno myself if that is correct or not.

Got email of some colleagues saying I am to cheap and some other independent clients saying I am to expensive for them.

Really I do not understand my self and thinking to be a very bad business guy myself.

What I can say is I always fell working much that to be paid as freelancer to fix problem clients never though about, and years of light to understand what I am talking about when it comes too technical.

Also freelance starting to be really difficult to find today wishing to stay on old-school field designing very low poly assets etc...

Well that's all X_X!