Home Technical Talk

City Block Texturing Dilemma (Max)

I've been working on a a city block for an animated short in Max 2011. All buildings are modeled separately, but a lot of them as re-scaled copies. To be honest I have no idea how to even start texturing this massive piece without huge distortions and so on. Any advice on how to tackle this?

iiiMg.jpg

fR5ey.jpg

Replies

• Pola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pola polycounter lvl 6
    I recently did something similar with maya. I created a texture that would tile horizontally and wrap around the building, the texture was for only one floor in height, when scaling up I used a melscript to increment height along with increasing my uv's correctly to match. Its a very repetitive look though, can post some images if you'd like to see.
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd love to see them, I was thinking about making one floor of a certain building but the repetitiveness kinda threw me off, there are about 7 types of buildings here, all re-scaled, some remodeled.
  • Pola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pola polycounter lvl 6
    The repetitiveness is a downside, theres probably a way to mix it up a bit somehow, the white building below was my first attempt, its different because I used a really bad method of render to texture instead of making it tileable initially.

screenshot2fb.png
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    Hey! It looks good. I think you should just make different textures for the buildings that are rescaled copies. That might steal a viewer's eye from the fact that they are copies. As for the distortions... unwrap them again.
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I think I'll texture them separately, it's going to be only about 10 seconds of a fly through through the city, the closer the building is to the camera, the better and more detailed the texture will be. But I'll definitely experiment with making them from one floor, the NinjaCity plugin seems very intriguing.
  • Pola
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pola polycounter lvl 6
    Mine were made for a students game engine which pretty much handles like a mobile platform, if you don't have those restrictions then yeah that NinjaCity script looks great, you could also have an edge loop for each floor if you went with my method, as long as the uv's for each floor are seperate you could shuffle it along several tiling floors? Additionally if each floor had vertical edge loops you could just shuffle poly's around.