Home Technical Talk

standard price for handpainted textures ?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
I understand that there is no straight answer for this but i just feel so lost when dealing with prize / asset. I am doing a 1024 * 1024 handpainted texture, really detailed wow style. Can someone give me a hint ?

thanks alot.

Replies

• billredd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billredd polycounter lvl 13
    first you need to decide what your time is worth to you, and also is it for an indie or a big commercial company with deep pockets, if its for an indie you probably want to cut them a small break. also ask yourself, is this your sole income? side income etc.. you may also want to do a fixed price per image instead of per hour

you can guess-timate the price and say, well the average 2D guy in the games industry makes for example 50K a year. ok, so that per hour is roughly: $25 per hour
    but this is $25 per hour for a proven industry expert who is pretty much guaranteed to produce excellent work

for a fixed price you would simply in your mind think, ok, i KNOW i can do that in under 12 hours...i think im worth $20 per hour, so, that would be around $240 for that image, then work in any kind of discount for them, and say well i'll do it for $200

so work it like that, you also have to have a feel for the client, whats the budget for this image, will there be others? also remember whatever you do for the client they own it, ALL of it, unless you get in writing from them that you own the rights to the image/content, but i doubt you will get that unless they are foolish

also ask thier permission to show it in your portfolio and when you can show it
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When doing freelance work, be sure to account for:

Time spent on revisions
    Paying for your taxes
    Paying for your health insurance
    Paying for your retirement
    Paying your bills when you do not have work(downtime)

^^ These are all generally costs that are covered by your employer when you work onsite, when you're freelance you have to cover it yourself, so you can't compare onsite vs freelance work.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    $30 an hour minimum, unless you're feeling extremely generous/desperate. About 1/3 of that will go to Taxes anyway, not to mention software, hardware, medical, and all the other stuff that's taken care of if you worked in house at a regular company.

Figure whatever you charge as a freelancer you're really only getting half of that at the end of the day.
  • jimpaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jimpaw polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks alot guys, exellent advice. Now i feel much better. ;)