Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Interstellar Marine Assault Rifle

keyframe
Offline / Send Message
SnakeDoctor keyframe
Hey guys taking a break from the environment im working on and decided to do a quick gun.

I chose this for the concept

2140248-1300249988.jpg

Halfway through finishing the high poly I decided that this gun wasn't that practical. I personally wouldn't like to hold it. This lead me to search for different more practical types of weapons. Luckily for me I found this from the actual game.

Interstellar_Marines_POTW_0015.jpg

This gun seemed like it could actually be used effectively so I blended in elements of this 3d model into the concept I first started working on.

After adding a few of my own ideas this is what I came up with.
gun-1.jpg

I wanted to ask if anyone had any suggestions before I begin work on the low poly version of this.

Replies

• Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    I don't really see where you changed the design apart from moving some bolts and panels. Also your weapon looks more uncomfortable to hold than the concept - you need to model a grip that will actually conform to a human hand. Those vertical strips near the front of the gun are tactical rails that can accommodate accessories (like in the concept), you need to model them so. Be sure to have picture of real weapons up while you model; think about why certain parts exist on a weapon, what is the function? Once you begin to understand how these things work you can extrapolate your own, functional looking interpretations on your models.
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    this is one of my old friends work, exactly the same rifle you got there. Maybe some inspiration or help?
    http://www.kevinjohansson.se/gallery/assaultrifle.html
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    Thanks for the link voff I am sure it will help in the upcoming stages. Paul i agree with what your saying about the grip so I fixed that and the rails as well. I plan on moving to low poly tomorrow.

gun2-1.jpg
  • juguefre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juguefre polycounter lvl 11
    gunfl.jpg

beside that I like the gun.
  • boebi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MK_13_Mod_0.jpg
    1287829331.jpg

I also always thought those kind of designs look impractical but apparently it really is not. Above are two real life examples with the same kind of design.
  • r3spawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boebi wrote: »
    I also always thought those kind of designs look impractical but apparently it really is not. Above are two real life examples with the same kind of design.

Those are two very different designs. The FN P90 was designed to be ambidextrous and comfortable to use but I don't think they put as much effort into the design of that rifle.

I have to agree though, that part of the model looks really impractical.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    I have to agree with the others. It just looks uncomfortable to hold.

The grip could be more rounded, and not so boxy to conform more to the hand. The hole behind the grip is for the thumb to wrap around the handle (which I'm sure you are aware). I would make the hole larger and (again) more rounded. Like in the last two reference images you posted. Your hole is tiny and compact and doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room for the grip.

The design is practical you just have to understand why that hole behind the grip is there.

Hope this helps!
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    Fixed the handle and started working on the low poly.

gun-2.jpg
  • Lost-Artist89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lost-Artist89 polycounter lvl 10
    great progress thus far, my only niggle is the screws - they would most likley be sitting in a hole of sorts rather than pertruding outwards - other than that keep going good stuff
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    Been working on it a little more. I have the base texture going but its still a work in progress.

I think the bake came out pretty well. I need to do another bake that has the screws though.

screenshot2-1.png

It comes in about 5.5k tris.

screenshot3.png