Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Design - Sci-fi female

Eoq
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Eoq polycounter lvl 8
Helloooo everyone!

I don't know what cheesy thing to write here, so I'll just start off by introducing this female character I'm working on. She's some kind of a cyborg/sci-fi sort of girl with a cape of course, never forget the cape. Everything is highpoly at the moment, I have yet to start the lowpoly and the detailpass yet. I need to add stitches/seams/folds and such. Stay tuned.

(the hair is temporary)

Prntscrn_01.png

Prntscrn_02.png

Replies

• megan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is simple, I like it
  • Havoc89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Havoc89 polycounter lvl 11
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Really like her but that foot is bothering me. its more that the leg seems too short than anything, like she'd be hobbling along with it as it is. might be a perspective illusion though. still, design wise i'd give it a bigger foot/base. i like the idea of it though
  • nofacej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree, the foot is bothering me as well. I think the contrast between the false leg and her left leg is making the left boot look way too big. I think a slimmer shoe would do a lot of good.
  • Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    Cheers, thanks alot for the critique. I've been making changes on her based on the feedback I was given. I'll post more wips as soon as possible.
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    I like where this is going so far, I even like the hair. The only thing that feels out of place to me is the boot, it doesn't give off a sci-fi vibe, if you replaced with laces with the red/grey straps you have in other places it will help tie it together.
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loving the design so far !
  • keizza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    cool. you have a concept to post? or just wingin' it?
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    @ Keizza: Yeah I'm following a concept image that my friend made for me, the whole design is her idea. If I'm allowed I'll post the concept when the model is done : )

I'm glad you guys like the model, I'm at the moment resculpting her face - I made the decision to make a real mouth (with a mouthbag + teeths + tounge). No half-assing here.

I have finished most of the lowpoly - I'll post images as soon as I've finished lowpoly on the new face. So faar the changes I've done have been subtle - very subtle.
    progress.png
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    And some hand topology (chopped off her arm for the sake of this screenshot! Q_Q)

topology%2Bhands.png
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    Updating with some face topology

So far I've remade the whole face, making her more ehm "feminine". I've added lashes, teeths and a tounge. The rest of the body is yet to be finished, I'll do that as soon as I get the time.

imnotdeadlol.png
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    I've done more on the lowpoly - it goes very fast when I have the time to really sit down with it. I think I'll be addind a few (two) more loops around the belly area - to make the deformations even smother. Crits more than welcome!

asad.png
    side.png
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    Just an update.

update.png
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Glad to see you're still grinding away on this.
    Colors look good so far
    Im curious about your thought process on the hand topology, specifically the knuckles.
    I dont think Ive ever seen it done like that before.
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    I've been studying the topology on game characters from various games and the one I built for this character was the one I found best (with some adjustments tho).
    When it comes to the knuckles, it all about keeping the shape when deforming. And on all fingers there are 'volume'-loops, which makes them less "tube-like" ;D
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    so thios is just my opinion here, but with that high topology-resolution (especially in the crotch) you dont have to cut away loops at the hands.
    if you were going for sort of low poly that would be okay, but with 2k polys on her head that weird hand-stuff is realy not necessary i gues.

also i cant realy seem to get confortable with the design.
    most of it just doesnt seem to make any sense in a practical way and seems to be just tossed in there to add some random extras.

for example the arm and hand armor just seems to be extrudet out there, without any attachement to the body.
    and also her right knee is lower then her left one, or she is not wearing her realy unconfortably attached knee-armor on her knee, wich would be kinda dumb.

there is lots of other flaws, but i think i said enough to state my point.

not saying that it couldnt look cool anyways when the diffuse is finished X)
    anyway keep going, good exicution on the high poly so far (well apart from the mentioned arm and hand armor)
    face topology also looks very good^^
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    I think you could push the design of the prosthesis. Right now, its pretty much just a peg leg. I'm just trying to think of ways the leg could be an advantage.
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Looking nice so far. I'm not too sure on the colours though, I don't think the red is working with the navy blue. Maybe add some complimentary green in into the blue mix?
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    already looking great, proceed.
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    Cheers, thanks alot for the comments. Here's a render on the character : )

Clarissa.png
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    Just some small tweaks. And now I'm off to make a new character.

Clarissa_render2.png
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Looking very cool, eventhough i would like the mechanical leg more, if it would look like their is some mechanics going on. Dont know, cables little tubes, litte hydraulic like looking stuff just to make the leg more inersting and stand out more. But hey thats just me, still awesome and very clean work. I especially love your hair, can't stand the bald military guys.
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Looks good, nice work! I agree with Anchang-Style about adding some more to the prosthetic leg, it could use more mechanical meat
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    nice design. very minimalist and sleek. a bit of advice tho. you might wanna think about the specular on your next project if you are done with this one. the materials on this character are all reading the same finish. the spec really can change how we read the material surface, whether is be metal or fiber. good luck!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    this is cool but the specular/materials arent really strong enough it looks rather flat. Inside of the nostrils are a little odd too.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    I like this character and how you've modeled it. The textures need some more love though, the material definition is lacking(like Ged's already mentioned) and you need to define the different parts more. The face needs more tints of red for example on the nose too. Good stuff!
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    Cheers m8, I appreciate your feedback : ) There are actually cables on the backside of the foot. But I agree, I could have shown more mechanics - I'll have that in mind when I decide to make more mechanical stuff. I'll tweak the specular even further so I can bring forth the correct materials - This is my first character that I've properly textured so I'm still learning how to make the most out of my specular/gloss.

Once again, thanks alot for the critique.
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome character! I loved the design a lot, but I think the materials are flattened; they are not so convincing and there is not much contrast between the mechanical parts, skin and cloth

Good work man!:)
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    Final update! I tweaked it even further added some more stuff both on the normal map, specular map and on the gloss. Thank you all for the critique and I'll improve my texturing skills for my next character. I'm throwing in the bucket on this one : )

Clarissa2.pngClarissa3.pngClarissa4.pngClarissa1.png
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Very nice work mate, well done!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    good result but I really think it could be a bit more exciting as its still rather flat. I did a paintover to show you what I mean. oh and I kinda painted blue over the codpiece thing just as preference as I thought it just looks a bit wierd like y-fronts on a spacegirl.
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    Woow I really like what you did there! Fuck it, I'm going back to the texture to try to get the result that you made on the paintover to the 3D model : ) Sometimes it's really hard to know what I'm doing wrong by just 'reading' text. Now I now what ya'll meant with flat : )