Home Unreal Engine

UDK is garbling my UV's

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Artist_in_a_box polycounter lvl 7
I made a number of modular assets in max 2012 and exported them as .ASE's as I have done loads of times. I made my environment from these peices then went back over them to UV them and basic texture. My first UV channel has the UV's going out of the UV space as it is a tiling texture, I have never had any problems with this before. When I went to make my second uv channel for the lightmap I arranged the pieces inside the UV space and after making sure there where no inverted, or overlayed objects or stray pieces I exported it again.

What has happend is that every mesh I exported the second UV channel is totally screwed and the first UV channel shows nothing other than a small red line in the top of the UV window. I have never ran into this issue before and it is totally baffling me. Anyone have a similar issue or know of a fix, or even what it is I have done wrong?

I have spent the better part of the day trying to find the cause of this and cant find any. In max they look fine, in UDK they are just garbled.

Replies

• Ramseus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramseus polycounter lvl 13
    I don't know about ase, I only import from fbx, but from Modo I get completely garbled UVs unless I export as the 2006 version of FBX. Sometimes udk doesn't like certain file types *shrug*

Have you tried using fbx instead of ase?
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    can we see a screen of the mesh in the staticmesh preview window? im thinking it may be that your lightmap UVs are using the wrong channel.
  • Artist_in_a_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the meshes in question where simple so I fixed the issue using the generate unique uv's tool. What confuses me about this is that channel 0 uv's work fine but dont 'look' fine in the UV view. I get a warning telling me the uv's are outside the uv space or something for th elightmap but they certainly arent as I altered and double checked them ebfore exporting.

Also I use channel 2 in max and Channel 1 in UDK for my lightmaps.

I am working on some more assets now and will upload a picture as soon as these are ready. If the problem persists that is. I ended up going back to 2011 to make these assets to see how it reacts. Cheers for the replies tho.
  • Artist_in_a_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, this is just one uv channel (Diff). In th eimage you can see my 3ds max UVW window, Below that the export settings I use to get it into UDK and next to that on the left you can see the UVW window inside UDK. No idea what is causing this now.

udk_uv_mess_by_aerodyll-d4i93l6.jpg
    Cheers
  • Artist_in_a_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also I just tested this with UV's both inside and outside the UV space and it still garbled them. This is driving me nuts
  • Artist_in_a_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the 0-1 range for UVs is the same in max as it is in UDK. from the looks of it, your UVs are placed properly in max.

mind tossing the .obj on here so we can have a look?
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    The red Uvs do not mean your Uvs are broken. The red means your uv channel is outside the 0-1 uv space. This is only a problem for the light map channel.

Also the uv display mode in udk won't display Uvs that go out of the zero to one space properly. It does not mean they are broken. It means the display in the uv viewer is not designed for those kinds of Uvs. Your Uvs look fine in the viewport to me.
  • Artist_in_a_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is wierd tbh. This file was originally made in max 2012, and in my frustration I went back to 2011. The above file was giving me errors so I placed all the UV's inside the space for both channels and exported to UDK and got the same error message.

I then copied all the objects form this scene into a new fresh max scene and exported the same object again and no problem. The same UV's, the same object and the same UDK scene, but from a scene created in max 2011. I have no idea why this worked as no one else I know has had an issue with max 2012, very strange.

Just so I can clarify as I am clearly mistaken on this subject. Can I have UV's going out of the UV space in UDK (Only for the 1st channel not lightmap).

Thanks
  • Artist_in_a_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    (Im doign an awful job at not double posting in this thread...sorry about that)

I completely fixed it today. I thought I had it figured last night but hadnt and then today on an off chance I stumbled across this thread from a while back.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75615

For some reason it was the texture map in Max that was causing all the uv's to go crazy in UDK.
    If anyone else stumbles across this as I did, here is the solution, in caps so its noticeable at a glance.

THE ISSUE WAS CAUSED BY HAVING A TEXTURE MAP IN MAX APPLIED TO THE MESH AND SET TO TILE MORE THAN 1 X 1. REMOVING THE TESTURE MAP OR SETTING TILING TO 1X1 WILL FIX THE ISSUE.

This is a totally mad problem and is so wierd to fix, no idea why it is caused but im glad it is sorted
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glad to see it all worked out. thanks for posting the solution. :D