Home General Discussion

Anyone paint on their iPad or iPhone?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Vito polycounter lvl 18
More specifically, does anyone use a capacitive paintbrush with their iPad or iPhone for painting?

http://www.joystickers.com/products/flow

http://www.nomadbrush.com/

Was wondering which one you had or if you had tried them both and had a preference, as well as which app(s) you prefer.

Thanks!

Replies

• Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    I'm interested to know who has used the Wacom ipad stylus, and weather or not it lives up to the Wacom reputation.

Since I draw more than I paint, these thicker stylus tips make me feel like I have less control over my line work. :S
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    black magic. I really want to know how well these things work as well. I assume it works with whatever selected brush you have and not some per bristle magical nonsense?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I have a stylus for my ipad, it's not that great. I do more music related stuff on it.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I have tried the Nomad Brush, Wacom stylus, BoxWave, anda few others. The BoxWave is the cheapest and is my favorite by far.

None of them are like using a Wacom tablet or Cintiq. I wouldn't compare it to that cause you'll be let down everytime. Like Justin says painting on an iPad is ok, it's not great. For the ease of use and traveling I really like being able to paint on the go. I much prefer traveling with actual paints or a laptop/tablet combo. But the iPad is usually easier to get around places.

I'm definitely going to force myself to do some more plein air painting with the iPad traveling in the next year.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    painting with touch sucks, when they bring out an ipad with stylus I will be impressed, until then I think ipads are just for consumers not producers.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged wrote: »
    painting with touch sucks, when they bring out an ipad with stylus I will be impressed, until then I think ipads are just for consumers not producers.

That's awfully broad - it's pretty useful music production tool
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I have the Wacom stylus and it's exactly like a Wacom stylus in feel and touch, but on ipad it's still the issue with pressure sensitivity there is none and the spacers are too far apart. So for feel it's the same as your trusty ol wacom pen you are used to, but works on ipad like any other stylus.. :(

Some of the apps out there taper your ends so you think it's got pressure sensitive in there but it's still years away I'm afraid.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin

+1, the power of some of the music related apps is surprising, I absolutely love making music with some of them (BeatMaker/NanoStudio and iMS-20).

I hear writers and [proper]bloggers like it too with some of the distraction free style apps.

I also have the Wacom stylus and will echo thoughts here, it's solid as you'd expect from Wacom, but it's far from the 'Wacom Experience' you're used to on your computer or Cintiq.

One thing I will say though is it could help you with color blending skills. IIRC Sketchbook for iPad has a 'one click eyedropper' tool similar to alt-clicking in Photoshop so you can blend colours in a similar way. Obviously with no opacity variation though so unless you spend hours on it you're gonna get a different result.

As Jeremy says too, some apps have automatic tip-diameter falloff which I think can be controlled with stroke speed.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator

Yeah I know hehe it is my opinion though. Its because alot of my workmates have one and dont do much on it other than mess around but continuously praise the ipad for how "amazing" it is. If it was more useful than a pc/ mac desktop machine I would join in the praises but as it is I think no matter how productive you can be on an ipad you could always be a little more productive on a proper machine. I do think music apps are quite productive on touch screen devices just not great in comparison to a desktop, I really do like nano studio!

Anyway I guess this thread is about painting so Ive got "colors" and "brushes" on my iphone and they are fun to mess around with.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    I use my Ipad2 to play games while on the toilet and reading books.

That's about all though.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll never understand why people on the internet feel the need to regale others with stories of what they do on the toilet. Really not interested, thanks.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Robh Ruppel does pretty amazing stuff with it:
    set+up.jpg

iPad3.jpg

Maybe you could ask him on his blog
    http://broadviewgraphics.blogspot.com/
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged wrote: »
    Yeah I know hehe it is my opinion though. Its because alot of my workmates have one and dont do much on it other than mess around but continuously praise the ipad for how "amazing" it is. If it was more useful than a pc/ mac desktop machine I would join in the praises but as it is I think no matter how productive you can be on an ipad you could always be a little more productive on a proper machine. I do think music apps are quite productive on touch screen devices just not great in comparison to a desktop, I really do like nano studio!

Anyway I guess this thread is about painting so Ive got "colors" and "brushes" on my iphone and they are fun to mess around with.

not to derail but if you are trying to replace your desktop with an iPad, you're doing it wrong. It's replaced my netbook which turned out to be a useless POS - Laptops at best are portable workstations - you can't really walk around the house or pull it out quick to check something, you sit down and set up shop. And even on the best laptop you are using an OS and software designed for a desktop computer.

As far as cool painting apps, I like Sketchpad Pro the best, it has a symmetrical sketching option kind of like alchemy.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Totally second what Justin is saying. It works great instead of a netbook or whatever. It's nice to read books, comics, play games, paint, and watch movies on and also be able to do that all on a bus or a plane.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    not to derail but if you are trying to replace your desktop with an iPad, you're doing it wrong.

yeah very true but if it had a stylus and ran photoshop it would replace my desktop for a lot of things involving painting! then I would say its an amazing device until then I still think its mostly useful for consuming info/media/games etc.

oh yeah sketchpad is definitely a good one! is artrage on there?
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes artrage is on there too. It's pretty solid. You really need an iPad2 for it though it lags bad on the iPad1.

Also Sketch Club is pretty amazing. Some guy(s?) that work at ArenaNet made it.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sketch-club/id404414176?mt=8
  • Holi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holi polycounter lvl 16