Home General Discussion

Cryengine 3 - opportunities?..user friendly?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Gooner442 polycounter lvl 6
Hey all,

Is it used much yet in the games industry?.. and other CG industries?, like architectural vis etc, I'm starting to learn it but I need to know there's opportunities for it. I've used UDK a little too, what's the common opinion on if CE3 is more user friendly? CE3 sounds pretty 'buggy' from what I've read, but then I read conflicting opinion saying it's a joy to use.

I will be using it this weekend, hopefully I'll find the answer to the last question myself, just thought I'd see what the general opinion is.

Cheers

Martin

Replies

• Gooner442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this was pretty helpful.... http://www.moddb.com/forum/thread/udk-vs-cryengine-3

..though still like to know what the users here think of it
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    It is better to learn it, rather than not, so you can state that in your CV.

EDIT: here is where I am about to start learning Cryengine 3. :)

Introduction to CryEngine3
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    It is better to learn it, rather than not, so you can state that in your CV.

This!

And I heard there was a pretty good introduction tut for that now! :poly142:
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    It depends on alot of variables, but luckily enough, they're both free, so you can test to your hearts content.

Plus both at this point have enough content tutorial wise so you can fetch and see as you need.
  • Gooner442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] wrote: »
    This!

And I heard there was a pretty good introduction tut for that now! :poly142:

Yep, that's what got me thinking! I've asked Santa for it! :poly121:

HP, I know you work at Crytek.. (down the road from me if it's the Frankfurt office, I'm in Essen) ..and of course they use CE3, I just wonder whether a CV stating advanced knowledge of CE3 will gain far fewer opportunities than for one which states the same for UDK... in a perfect world I would learn both but just don't have the time at the moment and I prefer to immerse myself in one. Recently I've been swapping from UDK to Unity to CE3 etc, I want to try and commit time to one and become even superior to yourself :nerd: ..well perhaps not quite to that level :)
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    I think it doesn't really matter as long as you present your skills well. All three engines should grant you that opportunity. But if you are applying for a studio that uses a certain engine and you have experience with that engine, that's usually a plus.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    knowing the workflow for any game engine will put you ahead - seems like most portfolios these days are full of untextured high poly sculpts.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    It's real easy to dump art in and have it automatically look awesome because the engine is pretty.
  • Gooner442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ..perhaps becoming competent on game engines is quicker than I realise

I have to say at the moment CE3 entices me the most so think I'll get into it, thanks all for the advice.

If anyone is using CE3 for other purposes, other than games I'd be interested to see, in my current company there is talk of using it for it's real time lighting advantages, I of course hope they do!!
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    For Pre-Vis? Sure, CE3 is what you need since it's pretty much Import-and-Play.

UDK on the other hand allows more access to certain graphical stuff (Shader creation for one).

So either way, it's all good.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I dunno.

Not sure if knowing an engine really matters all that much, considering it takes less than a day to learn it.

On top of that, I don't think I've ever worked with an engine out of the box. It's always been completely gutted, to fit the tools of the licensing studio, and give certain flexibilities to the coders.
  • Gooner442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...less than a day to learn!?.. I'll let you know if that's true on Monday :poly142:
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    yea jacque has a super valid point. out of the 5 studios I have worked at, only one was using unreal and have never really heard of many places using cryengine, there are studios out there for sure, just not as common as unreal.

but then again like he said, most places are either using their own engine or a heavily modified version so most of the things you learn/like about udk will probably be thrown out the window as any project that is in production is probably using a build of the engine that is 1-2 years old to maintain stability.

however, learning engines like ce3 and udk are awesome to show you have some technical knowledge and are familiar with a basic game engine workflow/pipeline. those technical skills/understanding/way of thinking will set you above someone who just wants to work in max all day making models. the ability and hunger to learn new things is an extremely important part of why I have been hired by every studio I have interviewed at, I make sure to stress im interested in the technical side of game production as well as the artistic and enjoy contributing to tools creation and bringing a wide spectrum of knowledge to the table, not just gonna sit there and make boxes all day.

so yea, at the end of the day, having a basic or in depth knowledge of game engine pipelines and tools (lets face it, every engine rips most tools/features off from another here and there) will do nothing but help you, even if its not the engine you end up using at work. also, from my experience, knowing more about various engines has helped me learn any inhouse stuff very quickly as its easy to say "oh its like how its done in unreal kinda, only with these buttons instead"
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    You'll feel right at home in Cryengine if you're a Max user, sense their UIs are at a glance almost identical.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Material editor is near identical too :) I say learn whichever you like the most, both aren't really that hard to come to grips with. Unless of course you're targeting a studio known for using specific engines.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    I agree with entity, learn to use both of them.
    You will learn the basics in CE3 in a few days. The lighting and stuff is so good that you might as well start present some of your work with CE3 screen shots instead of rendering them in max or whatever(unless you're really good with rendering of course).
    I definitely recommend learning to use any of them. If anything it demonstrates your ability to use a game engine.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    After reading some of these comments i think i'll consider CE3 for my final uni project instead of UDK :)