Home General Discussion

Normal Application Response Time

'Afternoon (where I am anyway)
I've just sent off a load of applications to all the UK studios that aren't a stupid distance from me (Midlands). Including Crytek, Rebellion, Eurocom, Frontier, Fireproof, etc...

I know I'm probably just prematurely concerned, but I have to wonder how long it usually takes for responses. This is my first time applying for anything other than an internship, and it would be fantastic if it worked out and I could finally leave 'education'.

Replies

• o2_is_alright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it varies a lot depending on the studio. I can say from my own experience that I was happy if I got any response at all even if it was negative cause then you don't have to wait and keep your hopes up. Many studios will sent you an automatic reply saying they've recieved your application and that they will contact you within a certain amount of time IF they are interested otherwise they won't bother.
    The fastest response I've got was one day after I sent the application, the longest was about 3 months, so... yea.

But best of luck on your job hunt!
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    It varies a lot. I've had companies get in touch almost immediately, and I've had companies take a very long time. If you don't hear back within 2 weeks, it's a good idea to send a follow-up e-mail, ideally with something new in your portfolio that you can mention so they have reason to check your stuff again.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    I've had companies email me within one day, and had other ones calling me after 18 months. There's no rule for this, so don't get anxious. Your work is good enough for an industry position! Just keep improving on it and you'll be fine.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    1 week, two weeks, three weeks, 1 month, 2 months, 3 months, forever/never... totally depends.

2 weeks is a short time imho. And response time isn't related in any way to how far the studio is away from you. Mostly depends if the HR people are busy playing Skyrim ;)
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Do what I did, expect no replies at all. That way you keep fighting for other jobs and when some company replies it comes as a pleasant surprise. You've done what you can for the ones you've applied for, no need to worry about them. In the meantime you can work on new portfolio pieces or do something else constructive.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Kwramm wrote: »
    1 week, two weeks, three weeks, 1 month, 2 months, 3 months, forever/never... totally depends.

2 weeks is a short time imho. And response time isn't related in any way to how far the studio is away from you. Mostly depends if the HR people are busy playing Skyrim ;)

Ohh...really!! o.O
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Sorry If this comes off as a thread Hijack but this may help the OP anyway.

Is it sensible to start applying to jobs a few months before you finish uni or wait until you're done?
  • Bruno Afonseca
    I'd just start applying right away and say "I'll be available in x months" if they ever get back.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    From the places I've actually interviewed with, they usually got back to me within a week or 2, if they ever got back to me at all.

The odd time here or there, I've been called back 8 months+ after my initial application.

Jobs in this industry are highly circumstantial. You have to fit the experience level/demonstrate ability at the exact moment they are hiring for the position you can easily fill.

Even then, most studios would prefer a local candidate (not just for visas, but the relocation time involved).
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Yep, totally depends on the situation/studio. I've had a response as fast as, the end of my interview, and one that took 8 months to get back to me, as well as everything in between. There is no average, it's always different. If you need a quicker response, simply ask for it.