Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[STADIUM] Puke Palace, Jeffro

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
Reserving my spot. I'm gonna do the Pukes Palace from Mutant League Hockey. This is going to be an Orc hockey rink. I did up a moodboard. Going to start on the concept in the next couple days.

Mutant_moodboard_01.jpg

Replies

• Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a quick block out in 3d then painted over it real fast. I realize the painting is shit. But part of this challenge is the process so I wanted to post it in waves of revisions.

My next list of things to sort out are:

What the back wall will be. Thinking either chunky bricks, more random metal sheets, or wood. I'll add the doors over there too.

The little green circles are orcs in the crowd. Need to figure out a decent way of working that out. My thinking was use an overhanging awning thing that would shadow the crowd a decent amount so I could get away with using flat Orcs for the crowd.

Also the lighting I'm not sure how to use physical lighting sources for this. Spotlights don't seem like they make sense. I'm leaning towards giant torches or hanging fire pit deals.

The score board is going to be a hanging wooden crate thing that houses an Orc and he has to change the score himself. Seemed like a good penalty box.

pukes_concept_01.jpg
  • duoxan
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    this is pretty rad man, and i like the crate scoreboard idea. you could possibly use cauldrons filled with lava but im not sure how much light that would give off. maybe makeshift flamethrowers that spit flame over the arena?
    good luck!
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Awesome :D!! Would be nice to see one from the game done up nice!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.

Worked the concept a bit more.

Still not sure what to do about the lights. Might wait till I start working on this in 3d to sort that out.

The building shape is going to be be more asymmetrical. Like a shark fin.

pukes_concept_02.jpg
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    For lights, I'd reckon torches would be awesome. Like those large hanging basket ones.
  • Zerogun
    Offline / Send Message
    Zerogun polycounter lvl 9
    Something about the color scheme and the way it's drawn out is making me remember the unreleased Lord of the Clans
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the lights sorted out. Good idea Lamont. Went with some basket ones. Might tweak the design once I get them modeled out.

Not sure if that's a good thing or not Zerogun.

Concept is about finished. Probably move into the modeling stage at this point and get some temp material texture going to get the values reading correctly.

pukes_concept_03.jpg
  • Sirdelita
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirdelita polycounter lvl 10
    This has an awesome 90's aesthetic to it.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Sirdelita!

I got the block out close to done. Decided on the right wall that the wood beams are supporting is going to be a mountain. That should allow me to vary the materials and values decently.

This is just a screengrab from Maya with lights in the scene. I'm going to take this to UDK eventually. Still have a laundry list of things to model out and get started on the textures first though.

pukes_001.jpg
  • linkov
    Offline / Send Message
    linkov polycounter lvl 10
    jeffro, if I understand correctly, this is gonna be some cartoon-ish, hand-painted environment, but still, proportions look really weird to me. The seats, seems to be made for giants, if compared to the game field itself. And corner towers looks like something in the middle.

Another strange thing is that you've got big tent covering small tents and towers have roof as well.

Big tent structure doesn't look like its something stable, though I'm not an engineer. And then last thing - lights. How someone is gonna lit them? How much light they produce? I mean, its not like ceiling is made out of metal. Most likely they burn a few holes through it, and then whole thing will collapse.

Maybe I'm taking it too seriously, but I believe regardless of the style, things should be somewhat believable.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome crits linkov. I tried to address the scale, multiple tents, and flames burning the tents.

The big tent shouldn't look that stable. My thinking on that is that it's made by orcs and is just mashed together. So it should look a big like it would fall down any second.

The square orcs are for block in purposes only just to get a sense of scale.

pukes_002.jpg
  • linkov
    Offline / Send Message
    look better, although I see other things now :)

I think the gamefield is too perfect for orcs. I'm pretty sure they've got issues with 90 degree andles. And I wouldn't be surprised if there is couple tree stumps frozen in the ice as well :)

And maybe towers should be connected to gamefield? I don't know, just a thought. I think i'm troubled by the lack entrances for both viewers and players. Anyway, looking for a final result :thumbup:
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks linkov! I like those ideas. Definitely thought about making the playing field jagged and uneven eventually.

Tree stumps is a nice idea.

The entry ways would be the towers. I need to adjust the placement of them.

This is still in Maya. Going to take this to UDK once all the textures are in place. Just trying to get them all roughed out.

pukes_003.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Started working on texturing some of this. Still tons to texture and polish this one up. I'm just painting all the textures at 1024x1024 now and going to scale down once I get the scene all in place to keep the density consistent. We'll see how that works.

pukes_tower_01.jpg
  • linkov
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffro wrote: »
    Started working on texturing some of this. Still tons to texture and polish this one up. I'm just painting all the textures at 1024x1024 now and going to scale down once I get the scene all in place to keep the density consistent. We'll see how that works.

looking good jeffro! I'm not sure how much is it work in progress, but I just saw it anyway :poly136:

jeffro_ovrpnt2.jpg

doorway is just screams for a nice trim and hinges need to be bigger for sure, even if there is only one of them, otherwise they'll just dissappear.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    OH man! Awesome idea. Totally going to work those in. Thanks linkov!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually got all these worked in. Thanks again linkov for the great paint over. You're totally right about the door hinges not reading for far back. No idea how I missed that.

pukes_tower_02.jpg
  • linkov
    Offline / Send Message
    "ORCS!" banner could use some more segments, it looks too angular. Some wear and tear won't hurt as well.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Added in the banner rips and few more splits.

Started roughing out the hockey goal. Textures are super basic. Going to try and get to them tomorrow. Going to add a drink bottle on the top, maybe some skulls and things stuck in the netting too. Not sure about making the frame out of wood. I was going to do bone. But that would have blended in with the ice to much. So going to do steel or wood I think.

pukes_tower_03.jpg
  • skankerzero
    digging the painted style!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks skanker! Having a blast with this so far.

So here's my progress on the goal. The netting is shit still probably rework that tomorrow. Also going to use the white space to add some props on the goal (drink, stuff stuck in the net, etc).

pukes_goal_01.jpg
  • linkov
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffro, looks good, but I think that you're missing a lot of opportunities to do some nice design work as well.

part of the reason why I started my entry in this challenge, is because I saw many ways to iterate further your ideas and design, but it's not my place to teach you, or to do it for you, and I had to channel it somehow))))

so I guess I can call you an inspirational kind of guy, but you maybe rushing things a little bit =)

anyway, about your hockey goal, couple crits, if you don't mind..

- it looks weak and fragile. even for a regular human, not to mention orc or mutant.
    - hockey goal usually have base, which allows it to stand on ice

sometimes goals have really cool shape, kinda like this

21387-004-E9C56280.gif

i'm really is restraining myself from creating something like this from bones and metal :poly142:
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Great crits as always linkov. Thanks! Totally agree with you that it looks fragile. Definitely going to rework the design some and make this more imposing.
  • RogelioD
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    Looking really nice! Can't wait to see it in UDK in all it's glory!
  • csprance
    Offline / Send Message
    csprance polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome stuff man. Looks great! Really looking forward to the score board and the orc changing numbers. I love the design direction and the cartoony look you have going. What's going on with the bowl on the top of the tower? What's going inside of that?
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    @RogelioD Thanks man! Actually going to keep this one in Maya and just use some old school tricks and vertex lighting.

@csprance Thanks! Having fun with this one. The top of the bowl tower deal is probably going to have a light source eventually. Some might have snow piled on them.

Here's an update with my progress so far. I worked on the scoreboard. Going to flesh out all the parts of this then go back and rework some areas depending on the time left. Hopefully start on the torch tomorrow and get to the stands shortly after.

scoreboard:
    pukes_scoreboard_01.jpg

full level:
    pukes_004.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't had a ton of time to work on this. Still need to flesh out the crowd and the stands. That's really the last large thing to tackle then punch up some textures and start polishing.

fire pit:
    pukes_fire_01.jpg

scene:
    pukes_005.jpg
  • skankerzero
  • DockRock
    Offline / Send Message
    DockRock polycounter lvl 8
    As much as I am enjoying working on my Football guy your stadium makes me wish I was creating a hockey player. I like where this is going, I hope you finish it!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

Fixed some scale issues.

Got the stands working. I still need to make the crowd heads and torsos. But the stairs and stands are textured. I'm going to rework the awning texture and do a variation of it.

Still tons to do but the crowd will be next.

pukes_006.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Just did a few lighting tweaks with this.

EDIT: Just figured I'd edit this instead of a duplicate post. I roughed out the crowd. Each head is 16 polys and the bodys are similar. I have each little group of people at 500 tris. I have plenty of polygons left so I'll probably do a head and body variation and mix and match them. That with vertex color should allow for a unique enough crowd.

pukes_crowd_001.jpg

Hoping to finish on time. Should be close.

pukes_008a.jpg

pukes_008b.jpg

Stuff to do is punch up the orange tarp texture, the rock wall texture, the patchwork texture, add objects under the ice (frozen fish, skeleton, etc), add crowd objects (foam hand, banners, etc).
  • Kraken
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraken interpolator
    I hope you'll manage to finish on time. Good luck!
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    looking good Jeff!
  • myles
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    The texturing is looking nice on this man, what are you rendering it in though? You should throw it into UDK if you have time :)
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @Kraken, @Lee3dee, and @myles. It's just viewport grabs in Maya. Only using vertex lighting. I did a quick test taking this all into UDK and wasn't happy with how it was looking. I want to keep it very mobile and only use vertex lighting. Maya allows me greater control of that than UDK. I'm going to add some polys in the walls to help cut in some better shadows. Should be able to make the deadline tomorrow!
  • myles
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah it'd be worth adding some more divisions to the flooring, I'd also try and make the roof slightly darker.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    @myles Good tip. Totally worked that in. Here's my final shots and I added the larger texture sheet too. Weighed in 69,397 polygons and ended up using the full texture space allowed.
    Puke's Palace Hockey Arena

Beauty Shots:

jeffro_beauty_01.jpg:

jeffro_beauty_02.jpg:

jeffro_beauty_03.jpg:

Construction Shot:

jeffro_construction_01.jpg:

Textures:

jeffro_mutantcollage_01.jpg:

jeffro_mutantcollage_01L.jpg: