Home Technical Talk

Object deformation around the sphere

balistic_822.jpg
Hi all!
My software - 3d max
How can I make extrude continents and place around the sphere?
unwrapping and displacement? But its very hard for processor.
Can it be make by script?
I hope for your help.

Replies

• odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Create high poly sphere > Unwrap sphere > Crate displacement map > apply displacement map > Save

That easy, no? :s
  • Mark Dygert
    Cut the details into the sphere, then extrude?

Use the conform compound shape (F1 > search) to smash a flat piece of geometry onto the surface of the other, then extrude it?

Sphereify modifier?
  • bing2
    I thought about displacement , it is wrong decision.Because displace i can see after rendering only, it's not geometry.
    Cut the details into the sphere, then extrude
    Cut? Ohh no))). It's so long, cut the detailed continents.Process may be delayed for a long time)))
    Sphereify modifier
    for this modifier objects(continents) must be placed onto the expected box surface. Are you remember tutorial by modeling volley ball?

Maybe easier done in another editor?
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Cut? Ohh no))). It's so long, cut the detailed continents.Process may be delayed for a long time)))
    Cutting it really shouldn't take too long, especially if you slap a texture of the continents onto the sphere to begin with to use as a guide. If displacement is out of the picture, then there's a good chance the landmass is going to have to be modeled some way or another.

Can Max create a mesh based on an Illustrator curve?
  • sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    bing2 wrote: »
    I thought about displacement , it is wrong decision.Because displace i can see after rendering only, it's not geometry.

The displace modifier works without requiring rendering.
  • Mark Dygert
    cryrid wrote: »
    Can Max create a mesh based on an Illustrator curve?
    Yes it can, it imports .ai (adobe illustrator) files.
  • bing2
    Yes, AI curves plus quadify mesh it's good method, but how place as parts of continents, that after apply spherify modifier i I could get nice globe?
  • Mark Dygert
    Probably not spherify, probably use a few bend modifiers to get it roughly into the right shape, then conform (compound object) it to the surface then extrude.
  • Karaoke_Warrior
    Offline / Send Message
    Karaoke_Warrior polycounter lvl 13
    If topology isn't an issue you can do this:

-Search online for free globe map AI vector files, and then import into 3ds Max. They'll show up as splines.

-Use the Extrude modifier to give it some thickness.

-Use the Quadify modifier at a low setting. Settings are arbitrary according to the scale you're working on. But the resulting quads have to be small enough to bend the object.

-To deform it into the shape of a sphere you'll need to create a sphere then right-click and convert it into a NURBS object. Then select your extruded map object and apply the SurfDeform (WSM) modifier. Click "Pick Surface" and then pick your newly NURBed sphere. Then click "Move To Surface" and then play with the settings .. they're pretty much self-explanatory.

You may want to do this per continent or per huge mass of land as the modifier tends to get stretchy when used too liberally.

I attached a quick and dirty example pic. Oh, it's been turbosmoothed too. Hope this helps.
  • bing2
    Karaoke_Warrior I tried your method. it works))). Thx for your help!
  • AVGHH
    -To deform it into the shape of a sphere you'll need to create a sphere then right-click and convert it into a NURBS object. Then select your extruded map object and apply the SurfDeform (WSM) modifier. Click "Pick Surface" and then pick your newly NURBed sphere. Then click "Move To Surface" and then play with the settings .. they're pretty much self-explanatory.

Hi guys
    I need this solution badly.
    I did steps exactly the as said but when I click "Pick Surface" and then pick NURBed sphere it returns an error which says "Unacceptable NURBS Surface".
  • AVGHH
    I did steps exactly as said but when I click "Pick Surface" and then pick NURBed sphere it says "Unacceptable NURBS Surface".
    Can anybody help me?