Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Beginner head] crits appreciated!

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
vavavoom polycounter lvl 11
after my first post problems with image uploads;

hope the images appear now, as have made some changes following (much appreciated) advice from kind users.

once it is given the OK, am gonna begin hair, body and try to stylize it as a game character (slightly enlarged eyes, ears?)

Current polycount: 812. hope to complete head (with hair + eyes) <1000

84594741.jpg

75041761.jpg

11948049.jpg

20795636.jpg

41466472.jpg

reft.jpg

am thinking i would like to make it into a character like this?:

modelchunli.jpg

Replies

• chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Beginner head? really? Amazing job so far, you've captured the likness already with the low-poly head. Great work! Probably the topology that could use some work but other than that it's really good.
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vavavoom polycounter lvl 11
    thanks, chrisradsby.

it all started from the 'joan of arc' tutorial on the web
    *i would recommend this to any beginners like me out there to try. i havn't tried other methods (maybe there are better out there?) but this one works for me :)

I spent lots of spare time looking at others models and wireframes on forums such as this to help with the shape.

i have enjoyed my foray into trying to model a 3D character so far (i should mention i had toyed in 3D max a little before when i modeled a studio TV camera a long time ago in college, it was awful, just standard shapes: boxes, cylinders, etc. boolean'd together to barely resemble something like it was supposed to).

since starting this, i have made hundreds of changes and many times hit 'brick walls' where i couldn't seem to achieve anything i was satisfied with. i am maybe wishfully thinking that the head (particularly the face) is the most difficult part, and the body may be quicker to complete.. hoping :)

it has taken many hours to get to this point.

you mentioned topology could use some work? where?

thanks!

p.s. really like your steampunk model!, especially the gun design.
  • menjah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    menjah polycounter lvl 6
    This should turn out well, might I ask who the girl in the reference is?