Home Technical Talk

Comic book / SIlk Screen printing effect [2D]

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
Hello,

Im am trying to get that 'dot' effect you see in old comic books and t-shirt prints if you look really closely. Check out the image to see what I mean:

bruce.jpg

An ideal situation would be where I can just import an existing image and apply some sort of photoshop filter to it, but I dont know if there is a name for this technique so its hard to find a good solution.

I have made a photoshop action with a combination of treshold and pattern overlays but its a little inconsisten between images. So I was wondering if anybody happens to know what this technique is called and/or if there is an easier way to accomplish it?

Replies

• LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    It's most commonly known as "halftone". Photoshop actually has a half-decent halftone filter (though the dots turn square as you bump the dot size up). You'll find it under

Filters->Sketch->Halftone Pattern..
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    As well as the halftone filter Teck mentioned (there's also colour halftone filter in filter > Pixelate > Color Halftone), I've found the best way to do it is with the Image>Mode>Bitmap options.

When the popup pops...up, choose the Halftone Screen method, and play around with the settings. The benefit of this is that it gives you a bunch of halftone shapes to play around with, too.

With that taken care of, it's important that you play with the levels to get strong whites and strong blacks in your image. I've found that an image with high contrast usually works best, so run it through Levels, and ramp it up a bit :)
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Sorry for the late reply, but thanks for the help guys, both your technbiques helped me out a ton! LOTEKK AND GLYNNSMITH: YOU ARE AWESOME!!! :)