Home General Discussion

Back to school

Searching for the best grad school in the whole wide world to make me the bestest 3d game artist that I can be. Any recommendations?

Replies

• TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    What? I don't even.

It's not the school that would 'make' you a game artist, it's your effort and work that will.

As for recommendations, the search tool for this forum and google.com
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    is this topic serious? Just look at all the other schooling threads. If you're an art and/or 3D noob then the wisdom from those threads equally applies to you. There's certainly nobody who can "make" you the "bestest" 3D artist other than yourself.
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why not ask for the best school and the wost schools to look out for otherwise you'll get the answers you've already received.

I wonder this to as i don't want to go to a school where the instructors barely help and teach you the bare basics or what you already know with no chance of going in dept at all.

OP Just wants to know of good School(s) to learn from as we ALL know some schools can be complete and utter shit

I attended the most horrible Middle school in Ohio and Passed with outstanding grades. everyone els was very VERY stupid so it was my time to shine
  • BradleyWascher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradleyWascher polycounter lvl 13
    The simplest answer is unless you are looking to become some type of 3d teacher at the high school level or in the future after some industry work teach college, grad school in 3d wouldn't really be the best move.

Seriously, save your money join or start a mod or indie project to keep yourself focused if you have a hard time modeling in your free time and just apply and make contacts.

Tons of people on this site are graduates of "Polycount University" that have jobs and its one hundred percent free.

Just my two and a half cents haha :)
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Agree with BradleyWascher, why are you going to grad school? A master's degree is just a waste of time and money unless and only unless you plan on teaching
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Sukotto wrote: »
    Agree with BradleyWascher, why are you going to grad school? A master's degree is just a waste of time and money unless and only unless you plan on teaching

...or if you already have a game art degree and want to put some solid fine art education on top of it.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A masters degree in fine arts might help if you fancy yourself as an art director in the far future after many years of experience, or so I've heard.

A masters degree in 3d might help you out if you plan to spend your career in academia working on virtual reality or maybe data visualization projects (though for that you'd need a pretty hefty math/CS education as well), or so I've seen.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    Is everyone else having some trouble finding this thread legitimate? Cheynecg please talk some more so that if you are:

Not a troll:
    Get better advice.

or

A troll
    Have more work to do.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Oh look, its this thread again..:poly142:
  • Alberto Rdrgz
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    If I have the money, time, and uh...B.A. degree

This would be my shortlist for post grad schools. I don't think all schools in this list give MA degrees for gamedev specifically but for the money I think they'd offer quality and solid training if I plan on being the bestest, beastest and badassest game artist I could ever be outside of actually just learning on the job (which would be the most practicalist) or self-teaching.

Art Center Pasadena
    Gobelins
    SCAD
    SMU Guildhall

If you live outside of North America, any degree from a university who's accreditation is recognized in the States is good enough (plus an excellent portfolio and zero criminal record) to snag a visa if a company sponsors you.

Good luck and don't be stupid in f@cking your future with massive edu loans.
  • Cheynecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, death to trolls.

I'm looking for a year program that teaches at a more advanced curriculum than intro to Maya/Zbrush modeling etc. Aspiring to be in one of the most competitive industries, I want to as viable of an employee as possible. Having a year just to concentrate on my portfolio is a blessing after being in College. Having the opportunity to go back school just about anywhere is still surreal to me. My parents are amazing people and support my future as a 3D artist like no other. I didn't intend to post a forum on Polycount to be apart the percent that don't understand why they don't have a job in the game industry. "portfolio PORTFOLIO PORTFOLIO!!!!! My portfolio is no where near where I know it can be. So given the time and opportunity to do this (as I continue to add works to my portfolio). What school is most viable as an industry standout?

Thanks!
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    I'd say Gnomon is probably seen as the top CG school. All the instructors work in the industry and you'd get a ton of connections. They only take you if you have a strong traditional background and it'll probably cost you 100k+ for a certificate.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Polycount school is one of the best :)
    but seriously, noone will make you better than you are, just work your #$ss off.
    edit: noone except yourself
  • Cheynecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte wrote: »
    Polycount school is one of the best :)
    but seriously, noone will make you better than you are, just work your #$ss off.

trust me conte. ass off is going to be an understatement ;)
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    I enrolled in the school of polycount many years ago.. I'm yet to graduate and that's the best part about it :)
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 14
    Fuse wrote: »
    I enrolled in the school of polycount many years ago.. I'm yet to graduate and that's the best part about it :)

You either die or burnout before graduation at Polycount :poly142:
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Polycount University is the best!
    Well, if you have a bit of money, I would said to take a fine art degree during the day and learn all the 3D/gaming stuff on the side during after school / night. Traditional art rules stays the same (perspective, composition, etc...) while technical knowledge evolve really fast so what you've learned 5-10 years before will be useless. I've been impress by 3 schools : Gnomon, Vancouver Film School, Ringling. But anyways, self-learning is the best way to get a job. I've been to university and what they teached me was soooooooooooooooo basic that I got bored and learned by myself on forums.