Home Technical Talk

Maya edit options disappeared?!

Hi guys, strange problem which im not entirely sure how to describe....

I don't know if its an option I've somehow checked off, but maya has stopped me being able to edit polygon primitives in the channel box.

For example, I've just created 2 edge loops, and bevelled them.

Normally, I used to edit the amount of bevel in the channel box by clicking on the cube in the shape list, and another list would pop up with past actions performed on the cube.

In there would be the bevel, and I would adjust accordingly.

Anyway, when I click on the cube in the shape list now, nothing happens. I can only edit the name of the shape, no options appear.

Just simple things like being able to adjust the size of a cube once its created are gone.

Im sure its just a simple menu check box somewhere.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

EDIT.

Basically no edit history is being stored in the channel box.

EDIT.

Solved. :)

Replies

• CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Make sure that you haven't accidentally switched off construction history. The icon looks like a piece of paper with a small clock in the top left corner (Maya 2009). It lives near the right side of the status line, next to the render buttons.
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since its solved anyway in case someone does have construction history turned on: Ive experienced a certain type of crash i call "Zombie mode", Maya will still operate properly to the naked eye but it wont let you use the split tool to split edges and you cant save your work, the Attribute editor and channel-box will appear completely blank.

Just about nothing will work and when you try to save it will save all your work as the first Primitive you started with. this happen to me 3 times now its random AF but will happen after VERY long hours of use.

Don't only save your work at times but restart Maya every now and again. i was pissed to find my 3 hours of Modeling Zack's buster was turned into a cube...
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    never knew there was a button like that, i find it so useful now. now i don't need to clear history all the time for every single operation i do
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    never knew there was a button like that, i find it so useful now. now i don't need to clear history all the time for every single operation i do

You never use the Undo feature?!?!?

Must be a cg god!
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    MadnessImport: lol im far from that. And u can still undo even with the construction history off.

edit: nvm i spoke too soon this method doesnt always work. some operations still show up in the history. Man maya wut do i do with you.
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    every time i had construction history turned off in 2011 it never let me undo anything

Using 2012 now and it lets me undo?!?!?!? i love the ability to Undo things so i avoid that button at all costs lol