Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Richard's Character Models

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
zerd_sword polycounter lvl 7
This is my first post here on Polycount and I want to start a thread displaying some of my latest models. First off is a model of Luke Cage, the Marvel superhero. Base mesh created in Maya, detailed in Zbrush, then retopo'd him in Topogun, UVs in Headus, maps made in Xnormal with a little help from Crazybump. Photoshop was in the mix the whole time too. Marmoset for the final renders. This, I have found to be the best workflow for creating high res game characters for next-gen games. Each tool is specifically picked out for it's contribution to the recipe.

Still looking for my break into the game industry btw. I've been doing 3D professionally since 2006, taught Maya, and have been freelancing character work for a year now, but want a full-time gig. Willing to relocate.

luke_cage_color4.jpg

luke_cage_color1.jpg

luke_cage_color2.jpg

luke_cage_color3.jpg

luke_cage_wireframe2.jpg

luke_cage_wireframe1.jpg

luke_cage_maps.jpg

Replies

• zerd_sword
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all,

It's been quite a while since I updated this thread, but I have a bunch of new stuff and will be posting images of my new work over the next several days. It's all next-gen character work. Very well made if I do say so myself. They range between 11,000 and 15,000 tris and most have 2048 maps for diffuse and normal maps and specular is a toss up sometimes. Other than that I'm planning a move to Austin, Tx soon here as I think it's time to head on out of Detroit and head for greener pastures.

Rocksteady01.jpg

Rocksteady02.jpg

Rocksteady03.jpg

Rocksteady04.jpg

Rocksteady_greyscale.jpg

Rocksteady_wireframe01.jpg

Rocksteady_wireframe02.jpg

Rocksteady_materials-1.jpg
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fred2303 polycounter lvl 7
    really like the rhino! super clean! good work!!
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    At about 3/4 of the way through your sculpting, you've gotta turn off symmetry and start sculpting unique details on the model. I'm really thrown off by those mirrored veins in the arms - veins never acts like that on an person, they have so much variety compared to the other side. They also need to run farther through the arm, smoothly blending in and out. Everything else looks pretty cool on these guys though.
  • zerd_sword
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz: I hear ya on the symmetry thing. I guess that I'd rather sacrifice asymmetry for texture resolution, given the choice. The face is asymmetrical though and I think that is where most of the attention would go in game. I was already running low on UV space. In hind sight I should have given more consideration to putting the weapon on it's own texture (like a 512 or so).
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lookin pretty good so far, there's a few things that stand out to me though;

On the first guy, his skin feels really oversaturated to the point it's almost orange/magenta. Maybe it's just the lighting setup you have but I'd tone that down a bit. The wrinkles on the jeans are pretty good, as jeans tend to differ widley by style and brand so a sort of sutble neutral look works, but the wrinkles on the shirt just don't really look like wrinkles on a shirt. It's a combination of perfect symmetry and having the muscles visable through the fabric. I know thats the "video game" thing to do, but it takes some really carefull balancing to pull it off, and I think you'd be better off putting the muscle shape into the geometry/normal map, and leavnig it out of the texture. This one ref picture should explain it all though, and fit the body type you have there (have a look at the clavicle there too).

For Rocksteady, some of what I just adressed is already there so if that was deliberate, yay! Aside from the symmetry with him, I think the only thing that stands out is just that, for a mutant rhino-man, he's kinda plain. Its a competant model for sure, but you're not really doing anything to push or play with the design. If you have a look at some other Rocksteady Fan pics, Bruitikong's especially you should be able to get a go idea of different ways to take a character while retaining who/what they are.

As a foundation its pretty solid stuff so keep at it, post some wips and show everybody that zombie samurai from your portfolio cause he's fricken awesome.
  • zerd_sword
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScudzAlmighty- thanks for the feedback. I agree that I should probably work on the materials a little more. I use Marmoset for the snapshots and usually do it pretty quick, I should take a little more time there.
  • zerd_sword
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So there's the next work I've have in my bag. The Undead Samurai took about 2.5 week to do the Zbrush model. About a week to make the low poly version and then about 3 days or so to make UVs, transfer details, clean up the maps, and add some finishing touches. He is the highest tri count model I've made so far (14,980) and it was a challenge getting all of the high poly details to fit into the low poly version I should say. He was partly inspired by the work I've seen from Gears 3 so you might see some similar elements. I wanted to work like there workflow, but make a "new" character. Enjoy!

zombie_01.jpg

zombie_02.jpg

zombie_03.jpg

zombie_04.jpg
  • zerd_sword
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's up everyone! I've been gone for a while working on a new game that will hopefully see the light soon. Can't wait to post my new work from it! In the mean time though I wanted to post the wires and texture maps of the zombie samurai. Hope you'll enjoy them and I'll have more soon. Also, I'm looking for a new project to get on so if you are interested just drop me a line and let me know! www.richardzryd.com

zombie_wireframe01.jpg

zombie_wireframe02.jpg

zombie_grey.jpg

zombie_maps.jpg
  • maxim5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxim5 polycounter lvl 2
    Pls what software do use for the topology, can see details even in it 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message