Home Technical Talk

3D max, model has become black.

Hello guys , I'm learning Max for the first time. at the moment i am doing Intro to Modeling in Max 2012 from DT
I have no idea what happen but my model, when i add surface modifier has turned black, and i can't change the color of it.

He is the screenshot, and i hope, you going to help me.
81878802.jpg
http://imageshack.us/f/834/81878802.jpg/

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like those faces need to be flipped you can do that in edit poly > edit polygons > flip.
    You can do a simple check for this by turning on backface culling, if some of the faces disappear then they are inverted.
    You can also check the direction of the normals by applying an Edit Normals modifier, all of the lines should face out.

Or there might be a material that is unrecognized, such as you where using Vray or Mental Ray materials and then switched back to scanline. But I put my money on the first.
  • Mane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, i just applied modifier > normal and it is turn alright now.
    I have no idea how to turn on backface culling:D
  • Kinky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kinky polycounter lvl 9
    Select object > right click > object proporties > "backface cull"

Be careful adding modifiers to the stack. Dont go crazy on it. To fix it without a modifier select object in editable poly or mesh modes, select "face" subselection on the tool panel on the right and there will be a "flip" button. Select all the faces that are the wrong way round (in this case all of them) and click "flip"
  • rajhansdewangan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mane I understood your problem because i also encountered the same problem where you could not change the color of the object and x ray mode also does not work.

So here's the Solution = Select Object and then right click and then go to object properties and then in general section By Layer will be turned on so switch it off then other things beside it will also be open since it was grayed out before.

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    @Mane I understood your problem because i also encountered the same problem where you could not change the color of the object and x ray mode also does not work.

So here's the Solution = Select Object and then right click and then go to object properties and then in general section By Layer will be turned on so switch it off then other things beside it will also be open since it was grayed out before.

Mate, this is from 7 years ago. Hopefully OP has figured this issue out by now........ ;)