Home Technical Talk

Comparing Blender to 3DS Max and other packages

Hi, first I'd like to apologize if this has been covered already - because I have a suspicion it could be a popular question, but I couldn't find any relevant threads that answer it in more detail. I actually did find one or two threads but they were all from before Blender's 2.5 release so I'm not sure how relevant they are.

Anyway, I'm looking to get into 3D modeling as a hobby, and I've been learning Blender for about a month now. I'm curious if I'm missing anything of significant value by not using 3DS Max, Maya or another popular package - in other words, is Blender functional/streamlined enough to be worth learning in-depth? I'm a student so I can get the long-term trials of Autodesk's products if I chose to use them.

I'm mostly interested in rendering static scenes, though I may use it for game assets in the future as well. From what I understand, 3DS Max has better renderers available and more documentation as well - is there anything else of value it can offer me compared to Blender, or does it boil down to personal preference once you're experienced enough with any of the toolsets?

Replies

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    if your using it for just a hobby stick with blender, free and has everything you need, only real down side in functionality is no n-gons and some tools.

but if your trying to go into the industry, get max or maya, since they are industry standard tools, and any studio will expect you to have experience with 1 or the other.

blenders defualt renderer is kinda shitty like you said, but you could add luxrender, or cycles to it to get some nice scene rendering, and for game engines, blender does support fbx and dae export so that will easily get your content into UDK, Cryengine, or Unity, and there is a 3rd party smd exporter for working with the source engine.
  • Gestalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    Blender can pretty much do anything you would need to as long as you know what to look for. If you include the community developments and plugins then I'd say it could be considered just as strong, if not stronger than the other candidates.

To be honest I have the option to use both Maya and Blender, but there are many things that are lacking about Maya and certain things that Blender simply does better (things about the interface and modeling). Blender is also working to encompass more of the cg pipeline than either Max or Maya.

One thing I've noticed is that Blender can be much more hotkey intensive, which can be a great thing if you're into that. With Maya you will be clicking around the interface a lot while with Blender you can do a lot of the work from the keyboard and clicking the mouse.

The general flow of usage is very different. With Blender you are both activating and confirming your actions while in Maya you are doing things like in most applications (there is no confirmation click to actions and you'll need to undo things rather than cancel them).

You can try all of the options for free to see what you like if you want. If you are looking for a position somewhere you'll probably have to know either Max or Maya, and luckily Autodesk allows you to get just about any of their software for free if it's for educational purposes (http://students.autodesk.com/). Sites like digtaltutors have very thorough training for Maya and Max that will get you up to speed quickly if you want to have one under your belt.

As far as rendering goes, with 2.61 I believe (coming next month) Blender is switching over to using Cycles for it's rendering, and its material setup will be changed to reflect that. When that happens Blender will natively be one of the best options for efficient, high-quality rendering. Until then there are still many options of renderer to use.

Pretty much across the board the native rendering isn't stellar as of now, so any spectacular results you see from the other packages is likely due to a separate, production-quality renderer (like Vray or mental ray).
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Making good models is more about the person than about the app he or she uses.

Everything is up to you really, but one option is starting with blender and if you ever want or have to change to another app.

Everything you have learned about modeling, texturing and so on, will still carry with you to another app, you will just have to learn the interface and maybe some different tools and you will be up and running again.

I have changed app many times, and it's hard the first days until you learn how to navigate in the program, after that you don't notice it.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    ya got to +1 Stromberg90 post, i started on blender, and have moved to useing modo and maya now. once you get a good understanding of 3d it will olny take you a day at most to learn a new app.

a lot of it is up to personal preference too.

i will give one warning though, i find it can be quite hard to work with blender when you need to work with other people who are using max or maya, it can be quite hard to get animations for other packages into blender, and blender handles smoothing different than other packages so smoothing usually gets broken when you bring things into blender from other packages.
  • Deuce28
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the detailed replies, guys! So from the gist of it all, I can safely stick to Blender if I don't have any aspirations to get hired in the industry (which I don't) and only need it for my own purposes. This is good news to me because I've really gotten used to the interface and I enjoy the general style of everything having its keyboard shortcut.

A friend of mine who's been modeling for quite a while also told me that I should definitely look into ZBrush if I'm serious about becoming good at modeling, and I'm considering giving it a try some time soon... from what I can see it's very different from the standard modeling application and looks more like a sculpting tool on steroids, definitely looks interesting :)

Thanks again guys, hope to see you in another thread because I'll likely stick around, seeing how much information this forum has.
  • walreu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deuce28 wrote: »

A friend of mine who's been modeling for quite a while also told me that I should definitely look into ZBrush if I'm serious about becoming good at modeling, and I'm considering giving it a try some time soon... from what I can see it's very different from the standard modeling application and looks more like a sculpting tool on steroids, definitely looks interesting :)

Well yeah, it is for sculpting not for modeling. :poly121:
    If you want easy to use sculpting program that will give you fantastic results, give Sculptris a try. It's free.