Home General Discussion

Couple names baby born on 11/11/11 "Dovahkiin," wins free Bethesda games for life

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/parents-name-child-skyrim-character-195904653.html

Seeing as hpw this has to do with the bethesda company also I made it its own thread, hope thats no problem :S

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Their baby is so feckerd if he/she doesn't like Beth games ;p
  • TheWildHunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The baby will have no trouble whatsoever! If He's bullied by some bigger kid on the playground, all he's got to do is look him square in the eye, take the stance, and "FUS RO DAHH!!!!!"

game over bully!
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    All his parents have to do now is teach him some dragon shouts and he'll be set!
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    They should hsve won one of those bethesda horned beanies too :P
  • Christian Hjerpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Hjerpe polycounter lvl 11
    What if Bethesda goes out of business? No more games...
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I feel sorry for the kid. Hell, I have difficulty as it is with my last name. Augran was apparently my last name in England according to some companies.

But good for them and all that. :)
  • Christian Hjerpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Hjerpe polycounter lvl 11
    Wait, what!? Did they really have a problem pronouncing Wahlgren? Dont wanna know how they will pronounce my last name, herpes maybe?
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    What if Bethesda goes out of business? No more games...

You shut your whore mouth.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Stradigos wrote: »
    You shut your whore mouth.

Practice saying it again, from the bottom of your heart and using the very soul of the dragon language, only then will you master the Thu'um of SHUT YO MOUTH
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    This is... wow. Definitely wouldn't do that to my son, no matter how geek I am, or my spouse, lol.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Next thing you know they start naming people after other popular fictional works, like the bible!
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Poor kid. Just imagine his teachers when they try to pronounce his name. "Dovah..... duvah... douvah-keen? What?"
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    There are worse names than that going through primary schools recently. Some of the ones my mum teaches are hilariously bad.
  • NordicNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ugh....terrible.

It's like getting a full sleeve tattoo, shouldn't it mean something more then "I luves your branding!"

Poor kid. Give him a strong name before he's able to remember anything. :P
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    That's a weird name to choose as a kid but the whole "the poor kids will get picked on because of his name" thing is kind of old. I think kids who don't get picked on because of their first or last name are in the minority. Kids will figure out how to make fun of the name "John Smith"
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    This isn't that big of a deal. As easy as it is to get your name legally changed here in the states, if the kid doesn't like it well then he can just change it. Or just go with a middle name as stated in the article.

...not to mention, this kid is pretty much guaranteed friends with our generation so long as he doesn't grow up to be a total douche. And we're surely better than the generation he'll be a part of. :)

Also might sound weird, but they said they'd have named him that regardless of reward from Bethesda. In a weird way, that tells me they actually care enough to name their kid something unique, from something they're passionate about. The kid's got gamer parents, he may just be luckier than most people ever.
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    It could be worse, some kid from singapore was named Batman Bin Suparman, and some some other birth name was Urhines Kendall Icy Eight Special K, named after ketamine! Come to think about it, being referred to as Mr Suparman aint so bad!
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    eld wrote: »
    Next thing you know they start naming people after other popular fictional works, like the bible!
    <3
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gibson543 polycounter lvl 13
    oh god this kid is going to have major issues
  • Moosey_G
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Nothing wrong with naming your kid after a game character. A name is a name. If you grow up and hate it, legally change it. Personally, I think Dovahkiin is a badass name.
  • Mrskullface
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm pretty sure a large part of the Armenian and Russian community like to chip in and say 'Cool' name and scoff at anyone named Trevor Power McJohnson.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    zelda-williams3.jpg

Zelda was a name before the games came out, although the games were the reason she was so named.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Skamberin wrote: »
    <3

My name "Jonatan" is pretty biblical, but my name was actually taken from one of the astrid lindgren stories about the lionheart brothers, which now that I think of it, actually involves a nordic fantasy world and a dragon, holy shit.

ALL MAKT
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    fuck i needs a girl willing to give birth to Morrowind!!
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At least it's a fairly interesting name that a lot of people wont know off hand, didn't Nic Cage name his son Kal-el? hows he supposed to live up to that?
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Dang kid has his own theme song, are you kidding? I want my own freaking theme song!
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Makkon wrote: »
    Dang kid has his own theme song, are you kidding? I want my own freaking theme song!
    AND if he ever plays Skyrim, he will be spoken too by name nearly all the time! Whoah!
    Also couldn't you totally compose your own theme song? :P
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    I'm named after the highlander and even i think this is badass.

Though in full my initials are, C P S M B. Irish for yea~
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    I personally think Dovahkiin is a pretty cool name, game or no game. It's a bit of a weird name but its hardly like they called their child Mario or Commander Shepard.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    IchII3D wrote: »
    I personally think Dovahkiin is a pretty cool name, game or no game. It's a bit of a weird name but its hardly like they called their child Mario or Commander Shepard.

Thing is, Mario is an actual name. Very common. Dovahkiin is not. :P
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Didn't some folks get stopped from doing similar by child protective services a few years back?

personally id be happy buying the games if it saved my kids from 18 years of bullying.
  • Mrskullface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wait...bullies play Skyrim?
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Prophecies wrote: »
    Thing is, Mario is an actual name. Very common. Dovahkiin is not. :P

wtf is an "actual" name? Dovahkiin makes as much sense to me as Mario, or John, or Barrack Hussein Obama...

They're just words. Mario is derived from Marius, which the Romans used as a name connoting Mars, the god of war. It literally means Martian I suppose, but again, in the sense of a very much fictional character. Praising Mars, the god of war, makes about as much sense as to praise the Dragonborn from Skyrim. Both are works of fiction, only one is classic and the other modern.

It's all about as valid as anything.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Didn't some folks get stopped from doing similar by child protective services a few years back?

personally id be happy buying the games if it saved my kids from 18 years of bullying.

Having loving parents that named you after a made up name will give you a much brighter future than one where you have bad parents who just name you bob.

They didn't do it for the games, when you're passionate about something and your child suddenly being born on such a hard to hit date, then I guess it would just feel right, be it zelda or dovakhiin.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You, Polycount, being a artist site, where half of the artist come from France, Russia and other places, where your standard name isn't John, I was expecting more open mindedness in terms of what one has for a name.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    You, Polycount, being a artist site, where half of the artist come from France, Russia and other places, where your standard name isn't John, I was expecting more open mindedness in terms of what one has for a name.

Not being from an english speaking country and having a different name from you guys doesn't automatically make us open minded. People can be just as thick-minded in any country. From what I've read in the thread it's the reason for having the name that's bothering some people, it being something from a video game and for some contest(which has been cleared up by the parents now). It's apparently not just because it's weird, it's because they see a risk in the kid being bullied and what not in the future. However bullying kids can be somewhat unpredictable, there's usually more reasons than just a weird sounding name that encourages them to bully you. For this a kid by the name "Bart" could be more bullied for his name than a "Jar Jar".
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Having loving parents that named you after a made up name will give you a much brighter future than one where you have bad parents who just name you bob.

They didn't do it for the games, when you're passionate about something and your child suddenly being born on such a hard to hit date, then I guess it would just feel right, be it zelda or dovakhiin.

Its not the loving parents that I would expect to be doing the bullying, the kid could have a great home life, It's the rest of world that's the problem.
    I was bullied on and off about my accent for nearly 16 years, it changes you and sticks with you. It seems short sighted and irresponsible for someone to name their kid something like that.

I bet by age 13 he just calls himself Dave
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator

I bet by age 13 he's wondering what's so awesome about a 13 year old game, while he plays Gears of War 9 ;)
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Its not the loving parents that I would expect to be doing the bullying, the kid could have a great home life, It's the rest of world that's the problem.
    I was bullied on and off about my accent for nearly 16 years, it changes you and sticks with you. It seems short sighted and irresponsible for someone to name their kid something like that.

If kids want to find a reason to bully you for being named bob, they will, but you are generally going to have a hard time if your home is not a good place.

All it takes to get a kid bullied is for everyone who is not a bully to insist that his name is not normal, and should not have been given to the kid, which is a really bad mindset generally.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »

You've, uhm... You've been here before right? Polycount may be the greatest place online but I don't think it's unfair to say that there's some pretty opinionated and vocal members.

but yeah, what Goraz said ;)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Even if he goes by his middle name, Tom, his last name is still Kellermeyer - kids will make fun of that.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome! Like Justin said, kids will make fun of any name they can if they choose too. It's just the way it is. Hopefully he's a big kid and can beat down the tyrants haha.

In other news. Horrible names for kids. A couple in New Jersey named their son Adolf Hitler redneck or whatever their last name was. They were in the news for it bc a store declined to put the kids name on the birthday cake..

These parents did actually lose their kids recentely but not because of the name. Turns out they weren't good people or something. Hmmm who would have thought?

I'd go with the Dane Cook names...

Megatron
    Optimus Prime
    Cobra Commander
    Blurrrrreeeeyyyaaa (or whatever it was haha)
  • Mrskullface
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I understand why it's not so great if someone is called Hitler or Adolf, while asking for "Juice" which sounds alot like "Jews".

But Dovahkiin? My surname is Kavijian, so I think it's best to say I didn't find the names very 'exotic' as some people might think.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    There are quite some Adolfs though in the world, I even think there's a bunch of genuine Hitlers too, as Hitler wasn't the only one with that familyname.

But I can see how those have gone the way of the swastika.

Dovah seems to be a genuine name though, with Hebrew origins (like many names)
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But I can see how those have gone the way of the swastika.

Seems to be inevitable doesnt it :)