Home Technical Talk

zbrush High res to retop issue

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Kyoske polycounter lvl 6
Zbrush transfer issue

ok here is the story I'm working on the high res environment assets. I build the high res, retop, and go back into zbrush 4r2 and import the low res on top of the high and it should subdivide my low res and transfer the high res info onto the retop'd and uv'd obj.

But every time I do this it asks me the question if I want to xfer all the high res detail and I say yes, but it just imports the low res and over rides all the high res detail.

please lord tell me I'm doing something wrong because its getting old dividing and projecting each level of detail manually.

Best Regards
Kyoske

Replies

• NordicNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've had the same issue personally. Never been able to find out why this happens. :/

I've also found the whole detail projecting to be hit or miss (mostly miss). It's super annoying.
  • Perfect_Rolemodel
    hi Kyoske. I've had that problem before and I'm guessing there's vertex order (Numbers assigned to each vertex that you sculpt on in ZB it has to match the low poly as well) delete or weld any together or start a new mesh for your retopo will overide those numbers from your high poly mesh in ZB causing it to deform it in wierd ways because once you take it out of ZB and change vertex it will not match the number assigned from the HP in ZB when xfer the data back in.

You have 3 choices; You can ignore step 1 and 2 its just an explanation to your problem and different ways to go about it. Step 3 is easier and most recommended.

1. (Not recommended) plan out your low poly mesh in a 3d package before you bring it into zb. Add equal quad subdivisions to the edges in that 3d package so that in the end when you finish getting the textures you can easily remove edges without deforming the UV islands. Import that to ZB and start HP sculpting. After sculpting bring it to level 1 and import it back to max and unwrap the LP mesh don't retopo it or it will mess up the vertex order when you import xfer that data back into ZB. Then import that LP with UVW back into ZB and that problem should be fixed. After you render the texture maps you need in ZB bring the LP mesh into say 3DS Max and start removing edges (ctrl + Backspace) this will not mess up your UVs as long as you don't remove the shell of your UV island. I abandoned this way of working but this describes the method to your post.

2. (This method doesn't require the order of the vertex and is my favorite way of getting the data with more control. This step is good if you want more res to your Geometry.) Assuming HP in ZB is finished. Export less than half way of HP sub d level to 3DS Max and create a Low poly from that silhouette. Unwrap that low poly bring it back into ZB without selecting your HP mesh or any mesh that is currently open (This will cause it to xfer data screen to pop up) unselect any mesh and select the "simplebrush" before you import that UV Low poly. Append the UV Low poly and your High poly together. Add some sub d's to your Low poly and hit the button underneath "Sub Tools" tab called "Project all" that should make you an accurate copy of the same HP mesh onto your LP mesh with UV's. Before that you should save a morph target incase of any errors when it's projecting and use the z project brush for any areas that has projection error.

3. (The easiest and maybe current way of working with) Just create the HP in ZB and UVW LP in 3DS Max the same method as step # 2 but this time WITHOUT bringing the LP with UVW from 3DS Max back into ZB. If you have poly paint data with your HP in ZB you should switch the HP to sub division level 1 and go under the tab called "UV Map" in your "Sub Tool" menu. Click "GUVTiles" button (This will create a messy temporary UV for your HP) then render out your texture under the "Texture Map" tab and export that. After you have exported your ZB HP model and your texture for it. Bring it into Xnormals witht he LP and you can use the temporary texture from ZB to transfer those color datas onto your LP mesh. Eat3D has some free videos about this.

Hope that helps.
  • TeZzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeZzy polycounter lvl 12
    I personally have found that manual project on each level works more accurately and cleanly compared to the automatic way. Though, depending on the mesh I have had success with it transferring automatically. And yes, I have found it can be hit and miss too.
  • Kyoske
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyoske polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks ladies and gents, I have been picking every ones brain in regards to this and I keep getting the statement that the manual transfer of the data is cleaner and more controlled any way. But thanks a million guys this totally helped me work out the issue and a way around it.
  • sogun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sogun polycounter lvl 17
    Actually I had a problematic hipoly mesh from around 2005 and wanted to refresh it. I retopoed the thing to quads, unwrapped it and brought it back into ZB. ZB however messed up the Project All. Finally after days I brought the ZB orig. hipoly with texture and auto UV-s into XNormal, brought in the new quad lowpoly - with proper UV-s - as target mesh, and Voil
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Interesting, I had to redo a head for better details (yesterday) and totally replaced the head with an entirely new mesh with better loops and just attached at my cut off point (The neck) and seemed to project the details right back on.

Guess it is one of those hit or miss things(thank god for me a hit), damn I'll keep an eye out for this issue, sounds bad.

Just random FYI,
    Import and save a new max file with my replaceable head(piece), reset max.

Go to Zbrush I hit [Go Z] from Zbrush with my sculpt open, default is loaded into max.

Merge the new head into that scene (in max),
    delete and replace the head - never minding the mismatch (see through) material id's 'preview in viewport', hit Go Z again in max.

ZBrush Question [ YES ] boom, retopoed head ready for more details.

Just in-case someone comes across this thread and wants to know what the hell we are talking about, that's what I do and no probs bob on my end.

I hate TOES! or at least the way I made mine, guess they are too close and come back in F-d beyond belief.

Mesh was all quads though, just FYI.