Home General Discussion

The Polycount Book Review Thread

Hey everyone, I was just searching the boards to see if anyone had mentioned a book I've just seen on Amazon as I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it. For the record the book is this:

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Battle-Milk-Tangents-Transitions-Concept/dp/1933492538/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280954143&sr=8-1[/ame]

This gave me the idea of starting a 'Book Review' thread where you can post personal opinions and a little review on books you own, Art Books, 'How-To Books', Tutorial Books etc etc because I'm sure you've all bought books from the Internet which look great, but turn out to be crap, the idea is to help stop this happening, and of course post some great books that some may not be aware of.

I know reviews exist on Amazon, other sites etc but I thought it would be useful to get direct opinions from game artists and the books relevance to a game artists workflow.

I'll start with:

ZBrush Digital Sculpting Human Anatomy by Scott Spencer

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/ZBrush-Digital-Sculpting-Human-Anatomy/dp/0470450266[/ame]

I bought this book with the sole intention of learning 3D Anatomy rather than a tool for learning ZBrush and it is absolutely incredible.

The book itself goes into great detail about all aspects of human (male) anatomy and explains the different muscles and their origin/insertion, and how they all make up the various parts of the body.

It shows you how to sculpt a heroic human character from start to finish, starting with the initial basemesh, through the entire sculpt, to retopology and adding clothing detail.

As a 'ZBrush learning guide' it kinda covers how you would use ZBrush in a character workflow, the ideal tools etc but it's not really a guide to ZBrush. It assumes you have some knowledge of digital sculpting already.

It's not specifically targeted at game artists, but obviously all of the skills learned will be relevant, in fact the only real difference for a game workflow would be the polycount of the retopologized model. He explains the importance of topology so considerations can be made for animation etc.

It is also accompanied by an awesome DVD which is worth the price in itself. It shows Scott sculpt the same character used in the book and he narrates the whole thing to explain key points to think about when working with anatomy sculpting.

Overall it is one of the best instructional style books I've bought by a long way. It serves as a great companion when learning how to approach anatomy in 3D and should form a solid base for any aspiring character artists.

Replies