Home General Discussion

Lest We Forget

Replies

• Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Aye! My great-grandad has fallen at Kursk in WW2. Kind thoughts to all veterans served and those still serving.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    What's this about exactly?
  • ES_139
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its remembrance day today dude.
    11/11 day to honour the fallen and the serving.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] wrote: »

It's Veteran's Day. I believe that is an image of the cemetery for those killed in Normandy.

But yeah, crazy respect for all those who serve. My dad was in the military for 20 years.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I'm always so awestruck and blown away when I think about what the veterans of WWII did.. I don't think any movie can show us the horrors and bravery the soldiers at Normandy had to go through. Just imagine being on a boat and looking at this massive steep cliff in front of you and bullets raining down on the men in front of you. God, gives me chills.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    [HP] wrote: »

Remembrance day. 11th of November, 2011.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    The very sad thing is after so many wars, wars are still going and people keep getting killed:

AALLCASUALTIESINONEPOSTER.jpg

080411-M-5936S-002-MEMORIALprocessedlarge.jpg

Photo-2.jpg

Photo-1.jpg

Go to http://militarytimes.com/valor/ for all recent casualties... I'm not even talking about the poor civilians.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I've always been confused about the difference between Veterans Day and Memorial Day. I thought Veterans Day was to honor living current and former soldiers, and Memorial Day is to honor veterans who have passed on. Does anyone know what the difference is supposed to be?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Q. What is the difference between Veterans Day and Memorial Day?

A. Many people confuse Memorial Day and Veterans Day. Memorial Day is a day for remembering and honoring military personnel who died in the service of their country, particularly those who died in battle or as a result of wounds sustained in battle. While those who died are also remembered, Veterans Day is the day set aside to thank and honor ALLthose who served honorably in the military - in wartime or peacetime. In fact, Veterans Day is largely intended to thank LIVING veterans for their service, to acknowledge that their contributions to our national security are appreciated, and to underscore the fact that all those who served - not only those who died - have sacrificed and done their duty.

From the department of veterans affairs: http://www.va.gov/opa/vetsday/vetday_faq.asp
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Ah interesting, we only have Remembrance day here.
  • Boyso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyso polycounter lvl 7
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    still one of the most emotional poems out there.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
    In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    My grandfather flew photo-recon P-38s over occupied Italy in 1944. He retold his story to a gathering of aircraft owners and pilots.

It starts here:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmVzFOw500I"]David Toomey - Tall Tales and Vapor Trails 1/10 - YouTube[/ame]
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i realise this is a day late, but i did post the fourth and fifth stanzas from a famous poem by Laurence Binyon yesterday elsewhere:

"
    They went with songs to the battle, they were young,
    Straight of limb, true of eye, steady and aglow.
    They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted;
    They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning
    We will remember them."

and yeah i'm kinda surprised that Veterans day is nov 11'th in the states, over here (and most other places in europe) we just have rememberance day, which is on november 11th because at 11am on nov 11th 1935 the treaty of versailles was signed and ended the war.

rememberance sunday (england) is the first sunday following the 11th of november, and is the day our monarch parades (sombrely) and places her wreath of poppys.
  • Ahrkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahrkey polycounter lvl 18
    Controversial question: Is this day for all regardless who/what they served?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Ahrkey wrote: »
    Controversial question: Is this day for all regardless who/what they served?

it's not controvercial at all, and yes it's a day for all.

the whole point of rememberance day is that not only do you remember and respect the fallen of the world wars, and now any conflict around the world (regardless of which side they were on), but it's also to promote the idea that it never happen again.

we will remember, lest we forget.