Home General Discussion

Zygna: Give back your stock or see the door.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
Report: Zynga Demands Stock Back From Employees, Threatens to Fire Them

http://kotaku.com/5858425/report-zynga-demands-stock-back-from-employees-threatens-to-fire-them

What a way to put a bad taste unto all startups. Why be underpaid with a new company and take stock options only for them to go "whoops" when they want to go public.

Replies

• dpadam450
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 9
    I've heard bad things about zynga before this. Seems like this confirms it's run by investors and not developers.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Sketchy. It basically amounts to an enforced pay cut.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Is that allowed? Also the article says "Return the options or get fired." so the employees who want to risk getting a lot of money could take the firing.. or do they lose them anyway?
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They're stock options. It means they have the option to purchase stock. Stock they already have is theirs and Zynga can't do anything about that.

The part that is sketchy is that those stock options would be offered to employees in lieu of salary. They're basically telling you that you're getting a pay cut.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Greedy fuckers.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    no, they arent basically saying take a pay cut. what they are saying is return the salary we`ve paid you for your services. if this isnt illegal, it should be. its absolutely redonkulous
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those stock options are the reason that many of those developers agreed to the salary they're getting paid now. If they didn't get them, they'd want to be paid more. To ask for them back with no compensation in return is ridiculous.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    The stock options aren't any good until the company goes public, so if they lose them before that they wont get anything. Zygna are run by some scummy bastards if this is true.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    So, they are afraid their employees might get rich in the long run?
    Sounds like a very viable fear, worth firing people over... if you don't want no one to work for you.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think they are too afraid of their employees getting rich since they can always exploit new hires.

I think they're actually more afraid of not getting more money for themselves when their stock goes public.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    the article says they want more stock to offer to new talent.... talk about a douche move
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    New talent would apply to them after hearing these for sure. Epic management fail!
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unfortunately in these times, I think they still would be able to get many applicants even knowing how scummy they are :(

It seems like there's tons of college grads or unemployed people desperate to get their foot in the door or back in the door as the case may be.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben Apuna wrote: »
    Unfortunately in these times, I think they still would be able to get many applicants even knowing how scummy they are :(

It seems like there's tons of college grads or unemployed people desperate to get their foot in the door or back in the door as the case may be.

Yup my girlfriend was one of about 10 applicants that got through to an interview stage (I don't know how many applied in total) at Leeds and I think there were another set for the south of england too, all for a volunteer job. There'll be lots of applicants for any job I imagine, paid or unpaid.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Damn sad times :/
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...unpaid.

If she's still in school it's not so bad as an internship type of deal to get some experience.

As a graduate though working for free can't be fun... and I think it sets a bad precedent. At what point is the cutoff between getting paid for work and not getting paid for work? 1 month of experience? 6 months? a year?

I wish your girlfriend luck in finding something better.

EDIT:

Oh, wait a minute! I just "got it". They "pay" their new hires with "stock options"... /sigh
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben Apuna wrote: »
    snip

Thanks. Yeah shes a graduate but going into the volunteering/charity sector, so I guess you've got to do a helluva lot of free work before being able to get paid for it. Still, even if it's unpaid it's better than her cafe job which was cut down to 6 hours a week, spread over 3 days =/
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    what good are stock options if you can't cash them out and make money off them if you decide to leave? I understand (roughly) that you are given this stuff and then if you leave they are null and void or they can be taken back as in this case. WTF? I just don't get the point.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just don't get it. Isn't Zynga making money hand over fist? What's the point of getting cheap on salaries and benefits? Even good salaries and benefits wouldn't cut into the kind of profits they are making that much, right?

Never mind... apparently it might: I think this explains it somehow, but I'm too tired from studying to figure it out now, going to sleep now...
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Don't bother trying to understand them. Apparently Zynga runs on a higher form of cognitive understanding of the life on Earth.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    I wouldn't jump on the bandwagon just yet, if you read the article again it mentions that it could be a tactic against certain underperforming employees that are either getting a demotion or getting fired.

For the record I am not at all associated with Zynga. :)
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    what good are stock options if you can't cash them out and make money off them if you decide to leave? I understand (roughly) that you are given this stuff and then if you leave they are null and void or they can be taken back as in this case. WTF? I just don't get the point.

Stock options are nice, as they freeze the buying price of the stock from the date they are issued. But you don't get access to them until they become vested, usually in fractions over the years. If you leave before they are vested, you get nothing. If you leave and you have 2/5 vested, you have the option of buying that stock at the price you were issued the options.

Once they are vested they are yours and cannot be taken away [i think] but usually there is a clause stating you need to exercise them by a certain date.

If the company is public and you want to sell immediately for more than the cost, no money usually needs to come out of your pocket, the buying and selling happens simultaneously, so you only have to worry about the profit.

If the company isn't public, you have to buy the stock and sit on it, which can be expensive.

Another nice trick with options is that they are considered 'long term' stock even though you buy and sell them immediately, as it's based off the issued date, unlike regular stock. this locks in a much lower tax rate on it than 'short term'.

shitty thing for zynga to do. they should buy back the options if they want them that badly.
  • tokidokizenzen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tokidokizenzen polycounter lvl 17
    This should explain it some more.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505124_162-57322667/zynga-to-employees-drop-those-stock-shares/

It's very easy to jump on a story like this and draw the worst conclusion. Be it what it is, I have to say the bad thing in this is Zynga's handling of this news. They don't seem to be explaining details to the media which is leading to a lot of speculation.

From what I've read it sounds like Zynga wants to take back a portion of stock options from employees who are allegedly under performing. They are being given an ultimatum.

Choice 1:
    Give some options back, keep your job, and cash in on your remaining options when the company goes public.

Choice 2:
    Get fired and don't get anything.

What's happening is kind of like this:

A parent says to their child, "If you go with me to the market, I'll buy you a treat". While they are at the market, the child starts misbehaving so the parent says, "You're being bad, so I wont buy you a treat". However justified the parent feels, they are still breaking their initial promise.
  • tokidokizenzen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    shitty thing for zynga to do. they should buy back the options if they want them that badly.

In this case I don't think the employees actually bought shares. They only have options. So, no money transactions took place.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    In this case I don't think the employees actually bought shares. They only have options. So, no money transactions took place.

they gave out stock options as 'potential money' in lieu of salary, which means the company assigned value to the options which, in a perfect world, they would pay.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505124_162-57322667/zynga-to-employees-drop-those-stock-shares/

It's very easy to jump on a story like this and draw the worst conclusion. Be it what it is, I have to say the bad thing in this is Zynga's handling of this news. They don't seem to be explaining details to the media which is leading to a lot of speculation.

From what I've read it sounds like Zynga wants to take back a portion of stock options from employees who are allegedly under performing. They are being given an ultimatum.

Choice 1:
    Give some options back, keep your job, and cash in on your remaining options when the company goes public.

Choice 2:

A parent says to their child, "If you go with me to the market, I'll buy you a treat". While they are at the market, the child starts misbehaving so the parent says, "You're being bad, so I wont buy you a treat". However justified the parent feels, they are still breaking their initial promise.

In response from your article

You could argue that only people with "performance problems" would have to fear, but you'd have to know what performance actually meant. Maybe it was a clash of personalities. What if management was objectively unreasonable and unrealistic in expectations and demands? What do you do if you're told to achieve something, but company also puts roadblocks in the way making it impossible to do?

We don't know what is meant for performance problems. It may be just a smokescreen excuse. Or it may have validity. However, given some of the experiences others have shared from some companies. I would not be surprised its the quote above as what actually is the case.

I guess the moral is. Have the stock options written explicitly into your contract.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I have personally witnessed someone get fired for completely fabricated "performance problems".
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I have personally witnessed someone get fired for completely fabricated "performance problems".

Yup seen the exact same thing.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    so is the lesson here:
    don't take stock options as payment when your boss is a twat?
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15

Choice 1:

Choice 2:

Not that good example, because you forget the whole "You will get these stock options in the future, however you will need to work for less money because of it." So the workers work for years with the future promise, which then gets taken away from them. Thats not right.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Autocon wrote: »
    Yup seen the exact same thing.

It's the method de jur for companies these days looking to get rid of somebody they don't like (or, who is too expensive and who is going to be replaced with an underpaid, overworked rookie to make the shareholders happier). There's no real way to fight it, because it's entirely he-said-she-said if done right.

You can contest it, with a good lawyer, but the amount of money you'll spend in the long run means you probably didn't actually need a job anyway. And what're you going to do if you somehow win? Go back in and sit down at your desk at a company you just sued the shit out of, where management already made up crap trying to fire you? Yeah, right.

Oh ...and here's the smoking gun that tells me "underperformance" is a bullshit cover story:
    The approximately 30 people on this list supposedly didn't perform well enough to justify the grants, even though Pincus had chosen to give them. By doing so, Zynga would get extra shares to give out without having to make additional shares available, which could dilute the holdings of venture capitalists and other early investors and reduce the return they'd see after an IPO.

I hope Zynga gets exactly what they have coming to them over this.
  • Mrskullface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'd get fired and let my stock climb!!!!
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thirty people is a somewhat large number of "underperformers". If anyone actually would be underperforming in this situation, it's their human resources department.
  • tokidokizenzen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Performance, unless stated somewhere in the fine print when the options were given out should be a separate issue. If a person is consistently under performing, you don't cut their pay. You fire them.

On the subject of performance, I do agree that rating someone's performance is subject to a managers opinion. I personally dislike performance reviews for this reason.

McGreed wrote:
    Not that good example, because you forget the whole "You will get these stock options in the future, however you will need to work for less money because of it." So the workers work for years with the future promise, which then gets taken away from them. Thats not right.
    I agree this isn't right. It's all about the fine print. The word up for interpretation is "promise". Who knows what this means without seeing the contract.
    IMO, taking stock options as compensation for a portion of pay is never a good idea. It's like gambling.

I know what this sort of things feels like, I had a similar thing happen to me when I worked at THQ. I was on a project where we were 'promised' a large bonus based on percentage of sales. About 2 months before ship, they went back on their word and removed the bonus plan.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    i'd get fired and let my stock climb!!!!

Yea I read the whole story the other day in the papers in Manhattan, the return the stocks and get fired quote even pissed me off an I am not even employed their.

It's like uh oh they will actually get paid what they are really worth! oh noes:poly122:
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doesn't matter what they're worth, it's what was agreed to be paid to them that counts.