Home General Discussion

what do you struggle with?

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
yeah which tasks in 3d art do you find most difficult. Personally I find modelling or more specifically sculpting the hardest thing, with texturing the fun part.
I am starting to think the reason that sculpting is hard for me is that I find the viewports hard to read, unlike 3dsmax which reads fine for me.
Odd though as most people find modelling/sculpting easy and texturing hard.
I can do 'some' nice sculpts , but I don't find it easy at all and at times just no fun.
I just wonder if everyone else spends hours fiddling about or is that part of the process.

Animation is tough also, I always thought it would be great to get in to , but it baffles me on the whole.

Replies

• Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    I tend to fiddle about quite a while indeed. But I always have issues coming up with a design I like, so that might just be me. :)
    Also, lighting... I really like the process, but I can never really seem to make it work good enough.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    I struggle with getting the time I need to do what I want.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For 3d art, it's certainly texturing for me. I think the main trouble being I usually give up on something before it reaches the texturing stage. Often right after baking normal maps for some reason I feel drained or worn out on whatever it is I'm working on, so in turn I end up getting less experience texturing overall. As far as 3d art goes, I think I really need to learn how to finish things.

Non-3d art, I think I struggle with trying to do too much... take being a indie dev wannabe for example. Art, programming, music, game design, marketing, business... I must be insane.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Interesting topic. It's funny that you find sculpting hardest even though you are pretty skilled at it. ;)
    I guess that the reason people usually find texturing and animation the hardest is because it's usually the steps they rush or skip when creating characters. Most time is spent on modelling, texturing is rushed because people usually want to finish the character and the animation is entirely skipped because people probably are too tired of the character and just want to make a new one by then. Animation is a whole other deal too, which many aren't aware of.
    I find some of the hardest parts to be the most fun parts too because they're simply challenging. During my latest projects things have taken more time but then I realised that it was because I was doing it the right way. Making a lowpoly without losing valuable details and such is pretty hard in my opinion. Anatomy is a b*tch too. :S
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Texturing is definitely my weak point.
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    [HP] wrote: »

Same here
  • Ahrkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahrkey polycounter lvl 18
    Nailing down low poly geometry with nice shading and correct silhouette. My wires seem so sloppy compared to others and I feel like I'm "cheating" a lot. But I guess it's the final result that matters.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Well .. I can't say I am really feeling comfortable with anything yet but hard surface modeling complex shapes is definitely able to get on my nerves very easy. Sometimes I get stuck on not being able to terminate an edge for very long time --that is why I am doing some hard surface right now....
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    For me it is the art part of it. I am not an artist at all. I can figured out the technical stuff and how to use the tools.. I just don't have an eye for the art.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I struggle with sculpting.
    I just need to do it more to get over the crazy zbrush interface. Its just so much of a chore to battle with every time, it sucks all joy from the project. They feel the need to cook up crazy new bat shit insane tools and menus that are replacements and work around for problems the 3D graphics industry already solved a decade ago and as become "standard" in many apps since.

I haven't tried out the newer versions of mudbox so that might also solve my problem. I get around in sculptris ok and I like the adaptive tessellation but it lacks a lot of core functionality that would make it actually useful.

I love modeling, I love unwrapping. Texturing isn't an issue most of the time unless it calls for something painterly, then I struggle a bit but its a ton of fun.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Texturing. Always struggled with it and working really hard to change it to a strength.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    subdivision modeling. and modeling anything that has complex forms.

but i suppose it's mainly a consequence of not spending time on that stuff and working on texturing skills instead.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    With art it's hard surface modeling sense it brings out the perfectionist in me, which results in otherwise simple stuff taking forever to make. With scripting anything math heavy is difficult (regret not paying more attention back in school), though otherwise I really enjoy it :)
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Normal Maps...I spend more time then I should worrying about them and trying to fix them.

For example, one a single character model, I can spend upwards of 4-8 hours a day, for about a week try everything I can to make a flawless Normal Map.

Half of the time, the fecker still looks like a turd.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Lighting. I always feel like my lighting can dramatically improve. It's also a hard thing to nail because aside from some basic rules or concepts it's very much opinion based. Everyone from the CEO to the Janitor has an opinion about it and on some level they're all right.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11

+2. And shading when doing non-game res stuff.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Lighting kicks my ass. :(
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    character art ...
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18

Ditto...
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scene lighting, for sure. I've been working on improving that lately.
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All of it! Always new stuff to learn, and things that are lost along the way. If I had to pick one, then it's probably sculpting, something I'm amending right now :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Staying motivated when I hit roadblocks. :\
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Napkin sketch concepts.
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    I struggle with sculpting.
    I just need to do it more to get over the crazy zbrush interface. Its just so much of a chore to battle with every time, it sucks all joy from the project. They feel the need to cook up crazy new bat shit insane tools and menus that are replacements and work around for problems the 3D graphics industry already solved a decade ago and as become "standard" in many apps since.

Ditto. Love modeling, unwrap, texturing. I just don't care for ZBrush's interface.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Taking way to long on hardsurface stuff because I over "perfectionist" it

and concepting items, im not a concept artist so when I have to invent someone of my own it can be a real bitch ha
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hand Painting Textures
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    photo realsistc texturing is my current nemesis, but it changes on a regular basis....I'm often disapointed with my anatomical sculpting too, moar knowledge needed :)
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    udk.

Also, unwrapping. There are just so many good ways to unwrap one piece, sometimes I spend foreverrrr trying to decide which is the best way! And let's say I have 20 of these pieces . . .
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    udk.

Also, unwrapping. There are just so many good ways to unwrap one piece, sometimes I spend foreverrrr trying to decide which is the best way! And let's say I have 20 of these pieces . . .

Just look at it as a playing Tetris. You have to rotate/move pieces and sometimes scale and get them locked in as close/best u can. Thinking of it as a game helps make it more fun, and also makes me try and do it faster.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh no, I loove packing haha :) I think of it kinda the same way you do. Have you ever played Pokemon Silver on gameboy, that part where you have to put together the unknown puzzle? heheh... that's what it reminds me of xD

But it's the unwrapping that's kinda torturous for me D: lol
  • NordicNinja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd say my illustrative/drawing skills could be improved a ton. Both in the straight up skill aspect as well as the fact that I don't draw as much as I should so I'm sure I'm a bit rusty.

Another thing I struggle with is focusing too much on the small details. I have to make an effort to step back and then tell myself "What the hell are you doing? Why are you spending time sculpting that molar? Nobody's going to see it!" :P
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why are you spending time sculpting that molar? Nobody's going to see it!" :P

Hahaha I do this too xD