Home General Discussion

ADOBE Drops Flash player for Mobile

Replies

• amadeux
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Wonder if this will have any effects on UDK in flash/web... hmmm...
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Wonder if this will have any effects on UDK in flash/web... hmmm...

None at all, flash still thrives, it just wasn't viable for the mobile platforms, especially with apple not wanting to have anything to do with it.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    shame, it worked very well on my android devices :/
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, I'm curious about this move. They worked so hard to prove that they could exist on mobile devices without an issue, and now that flash is finally working (seemingly) flawlessly, they decide to end it. Doesn't make sense to me.

I wonder if all the Apple hoopla caused their market share to plummet. I mean, eventually flash will disappear, but I was expecting it to have a few more years of life.
  • amadeux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amadeux polycounter lvl 8
    Well AFAIK, the only development being stopped is for the browser FlashPlayer. Export to Air for android and other platforms will still be supported. But it still apparent they're transitioning their support into HTML5 platform for browsers and what ever else diverges from any plugin-type implementation.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    So what happens to all of those flash games which people play in their down time?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    So what happens to all of those flash games which people play in their down time?

There seems to be some confusion. They dropped support for flash MOBILE.

Flash still remains, and you will continue to be able to play flash games.

It would be nice if Adobe hurried up their production of Adobe Edge, because right now HTML5 is really lacking in programs for creating HTML5 files.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I mean in the future, now that everyone is starting to talk about Flash demise.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18

There's no way that Flash will die. Not for at least a decade.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I bet, in 2 years, Adobe stops supporting flash all around. True, it will still probably function/exist for another decade, but not with improvements. At least not as it currently exists. They may reformat it into some type of gaming engine, but I doubt it.

Start looking into WebGL Ace. That's probably where flash games will transition to.
  • amadeux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amadeux polycounter lvl 8
    I think its too early to determine if flash is going to be fazed out all together. Unless HTML5 is cleaned up and made to support a larger array of content types in a whole easier method to implement-then its still gonna be flash for a while. What I see is either plugins being fazed out of mobile and desktop browsers since the app market has plenty of potential, or (crazy thought) OS packaged into a browser/app system much like mobile devices are now.

As far as I see I haven't heard any mention of dropping UDK out of the loop. I think it would be silly after so much effort and the market they're growing on mobile gaming apps. Adobe is still including the application side of things and besides the resent release of their more decked out 3d package(I forgot the code name) has shown unbelievable leap in their development. There was a comment on one of the news sites someone made about it becoming more like unity, which is what it seems like to me.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ... or (crazy thought) OS packaged into a browser/app system much like mobile devices are now.

You mean like ChromeOS? Not much of a prediction there ;)

HTML 5 has practically replaced flash already. Youtube already uses it, along with most other popular video sites. The only thing left using it for video, are banner ads, and even they have been changing.

Javasript/jQuery can pretty much cover the interactive stuff that flash does. And, like I said, for more massive interaction, webgl is coming, and will make a more 'rich' experience, and there's always JAVA too.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm so confused...

Well, here's to hoping that HTML5 matures quickly with Adobe behind it.
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    notman wrote: »
    Javasript/jQuery can pretty much cover the interactive stuff that flash does. . .

while this is mostly true from the user side. for most things. it's a MASSIVE oversimplification on the author side. obviously the skills and experience of the developer are huge factors here but in general the flash IDE gives you a lot of room to do things in ways much faster than the same thing in pure htmlCssJavascript ( fuck. if the flash player ever supports htmlLoaders like AIR does. . . end of argument ) *1 *2

in the end the ios makes any of that moot where the browser is concerned but / so. . .

hopefully they ( Adobe ) bring Edge up to speed really soon. wrapping htmlCssJavascript inside a solid IDE that takes care of all the gruntwork would be awesome

i'll conveniently dismiss the concerns of plugins for the moment. the same way i'll dismiss that folks can turn javascript off in their browsers. . .
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    The only thing left using it for video, are banner ads, and even they have been changing.

That's not true in my experience. I'm the head of the banner development studio for a global ad agency, and the majority of rich media banners that come through my office are Flash-developed through techs like PointRoll or Eyeblaster. What we don't build in house goes to shops like Spongecell, and even they still use .flvs. We probably traffic nearly ten million dollars a year in banner ads, and I've never once had call to deliver a video banner outside of Flash.

HTML5 has a lot to recommend for it, but Flash/FlashBuilder and the AS3 language aren't going anywhere for a while yet. Until Canvas has some sort of robust timeline animation toolset and a great visual programming API, HTML5 is going to gimp what people can do with it compared to what a talented Flash dev can produce.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math wrote: »
    ...the flash IDE gives you a lot of room to do things in ways much faster than the same thing in pure htmlCssJavascript
    It depends what you're referring to... and what you're doing. I'm assuming you mean it's faster to develop in the flash IDE. I disagree. I use to develop in flash, but I bet if I were to try make an object do something simple, like make an object move across the container, it would still take me longer than what I could do with jQuery right now. But that's mainly because I use jQuery daily now. Create a div, add a reference to the jquery library, then add one animation command. Done. I can fadein/out with one command. Drag/drop is easy too.

So, yeah, flash is faster if that's what you're familiar with, especially if you don't know jQuery. I think that's the focus of Adobe's new project Flex. To make jQuery a simple transition for Flash developers.

And as far as overhead, jQuery is lighter, and faster than flash.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne wrote: »
    That's not true in my experience. I'm the head of the banner development studio for a global ad agency, and the majority of rich media banners that come through my office are Flash-developed through techs like PointRoll or Eyeblaster.

My statement about banners, was based on what I've been seeing when on the net. I'm not saying all studios have stopped, I'm just saying it seems like many have started drifting away from flash.

Overall, I don't want to sound like a Flash basher. It's usually one of the first things I complain is missing, when comparing mobile devices. Like I said much earlier, I'm surprised that they are dumping the mobile market. But based on trends (including with Adobe), it looks like Flash's days are numbered... sooner than I think people here believe.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so after reading a bunch of Google+ posts by people more experienced than I, it's starting to make more sense to me now.

Flash for mobile will be via Air apps (which can likely be monetized).

Flash just won't run on mobile browsers, no biggie I guess, at least not for me.
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    It depends what you're referring to... and what you're doing.

absolutely
    I'm assuming you mean it's faster to develop in the flash IDE

not making that as a blanket statement at all. clearly it's a case by case basis. my point is simply targeted at that sentiment ' htmlCssJavascript can do everything flash can so let's dump flash '

your example is a good one to highlight where something simple can ( and perhaps should ) be done with jQuery. those things you describe can be done ( functionally ) just as quickly in flash ( you know flash so you know the steps involved ) but yeah then you'd have to publish it. embed the media. etc. slower. and overkill

referencing my point you might have a situation where you want to drag drop an object. but draw dynamic chains linking its path around. whatever. firing off other animations and flags and shit. very quickly you find that flash is the better solution to that with its timelines and nested clips and whatnot

but yeah none of this is new to you or anyone else who's used flash and other web techs. i have no goal of getting into a back and forthing internet argument

fundamentally. conceptually. just replace as3 with javascript. develop a similar IDE paradigm *. and we're away laughing

i do not support the flash IDE as such. it's full of dick holes. just meaning the concept of that environment. tools like dreamweaver have been around forever but they're well weak when it comes to supporting this next phase of web techs
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    Adobe already has html5 tools started/ beta released. I expect them to port the flash IDE to an HTML 5 development suite with most of the same usability as the current flash development tools.

I can definitely see flash no longer being Supported by Adobe in a couple years.
    Apple and google are already bringing the users to HTML5 content, and Adboe is giving developers tools to create that content.. Flash days are numbered.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math wrote: »
    fundamentally. conceptually. just replace as3 with javascript. develop a similar IDE paradigm *. and we're away laughing

Well, and again, I 'think' that's what Adobe is trying to do with Flex. I haven't played with Flex yet though, so I'm not sure overall what it will do/provide.

I didn't mean for my statement to sound like a blanket 'jquery will replace flash' statement. I'm just saying, I think there may be enough tools now (in general), that I can see flash becoming obsolete and adobe will abandon it. Then I think it will linger about for another 5 or so years, as some developers cling to it (there are always a few).

Like you said, I didn't mean to debate flash. We both know the pros/cons of it (and other tools). Just making some of my predictions of Flash's future ;)
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As someone that was looking forward to getting my foot in the door of indie development through Flash, this can't be good:

http://blogs.adobe.com/flex/2011/11/your-questions-about-flex.html

I'm all for the advancement of open source, but this isn't exactly what I had in mind.

Now what to do...? I guess it'll have to be HaXe/Nme during the transition from Flash to HTML5/Javascript.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14

Tell that to Newgrounds.com
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    Flash is still an important part of game development. Scaleform anyone?

It isn't looking good for Flash though. It's a shame, because I've always really enjoyed working in Flash. I hope it doesn't go anywhere anytime soon.