Home General Discussion

Massive outsourcing on Uncharted 3, industry standard?

admin
Offline / Send Message
System admin
Excuse the ignorance if this is common knowledge but I know nothing about how the games industry works.

I've just watched the credits roll on Uncharted 3 and I noticed the artist credits. I watched for the art section, and was surprised to see only about 7 environment artists and 2 character artists. I was thinking 'surely they've missed a few people, that would've taken them a millennium to create all that art with under 10 or so people'.

Then I saw the 'additional art' section with loads (and I mean LOADS, there must've been a hundred or more) of Chinese names and what appeared to be Spanish names from about 5 different outsourcing studios.

Is this pretty normal practice on games of this scope? If so, what do the in-house guys actually do? Just clean things up?

Replies

• PredatorGSR
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Yes this is pretty common practice nowadays. Usually the idea is that outsource would do stuff like props, weapons and vehicles that don't have much effect on gameplay and just need to look pretty. Stuff like environments are more likely to be done by in house environment artists because they are so integrated into gameplay and will be constantly iterated.

Environments do get outsourced though, and even when they are done well will usually require a ton of cleanup.

Main characters would be done in house and go through a lot of planning and iteration, but background characters and npcs could be shipped out to outsource as well.

I think that the bigger use of outsourcing is it part replacing the massive hiring at the end of a project, and then the massive layoffs after it is done to create those 6 months worth of extra assets. So instead of hiring 200 temps, they might outsource most of that work so they don't have to hire to that unsustainable level and then lay everyone off afterwards.

This is just my experience, how outsourcing is used will differ from studio to studio. In house guys don't just do cleanup, though that is a part of it, but they usually work on the more important assets that have a direct impact on the game.
  • bounchfx
    yeah, it blew my mind looking through those credits. Took about 30 minutes to roll and the amount of art outsourcing was just batshit crazy.

BEAUTIFUL game though
  • GarageBay9
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    TeeJay wrote: »
    Excuse the ignorance if this is common knowledge but I know nothing about how the games industry works.

I've just watched the credits roll on Uncharted 3 and I noticed the artist credits. I watched for the art section, and was surprised to see only about 7 environment artists and 2 character artists. I was thinking 'surely they've missed a few people, that would've taken them a millennium to create all that art with under 10 or so people'.

Then I saw the 'additional art' section with loads (and I mean LOADS, there must've been a hundred or more) of Chinese names and what appeared to be Spanish names from about 5 different outsourcing studios.

Is this pretty normal practice on games of this scope? If so, what do the in-house guys actually do? Just clean things up?

Usually in-house artists are doing pre-production concept work, help establish art spec, workflow / pipeline, and once all of that is laid out and art moves into production, they handle the main set pieces, main hero characters and models (Nathan Drake isn't going to get outsourced), and frequently function as meta-leads wrangling the often screwed-up or sub-par outsource work.

It's hard enough practicing a collaborative artform on a team project across different locales, especially when you're using technology, workflows, methodology and vernacular that might basically be unique to that group. Add culture gaps and language barriers to it and some of the stuff you can get in outsource drops is good for a bad joke at best.

I worked as an in-house CSG on one of the three hero aircraft exteriors for the FlightSim X addon pack, and it had originally been farmed out to Siberia. It was a mess and my FTE lead called them up and went "WTF is this?" The environment lead on that project also fired an entire outsource studio (on the west side of the Pacific) because they were chewing through time and money and accomplishing nothing except pissing him off.

Turn 10 had better luck with outsource vendors (mostly because they've had four games to build those contacts), but even after a huge chunk of money and months on end to get each car model or track to the studio, they still do a metric long-shit-ton of cleanup and in-house tuning and tweaking. I watched the car team spend 6 months (sometimes longer) cleaning up outsourced models, and I personally did cleanup on partially outsourced tracks. It went better than FSX:Xpack, but it was still a production-continuity mind-rape.

For me at least, in basically every case I've observed, outsourcing really just doesn't pan out with the savings-to-quality ratio management is convinced it'll have. There's this delusion that the company heads can call up some shmoe on the "far away" side of the world and pay them an insultingly low amount of money because they practically live in squalor, give them an impossible deadline, and they'll have a masterpiece handed to them. Oh, and the folks who made it will have tears of gratitude in their eyes for the pittance they were paid (if they get anything at all once the sweatshop foreman takes his cut).

There are some absolutely fantastic freelancers out there (Ben Matthias, Liquid Development, Valkyrie, 3Point all spring to mind) who are REAL outsource artists or outsource studios, and they can make a blockbuster production possible by expanding the feasible scope of a project beyond what could be handled by a team small enough to be managed on-site. But I don't think they're what most managers or producers have in mind usually when the word "outsource" gets mentioned... which is a travesty. :\
  • EMC3D
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    how much does even cost to outsource usually? I mean do they go by the studioes budget or is it a fixed rate or per asset much like freelancing? I quoted a outsourcing studio and they told me like around a 1k per asset or something

When I've seen outsourced stuff in the past over here It's always been per asset pricing, including the time to create and texture the asset.
  • Ryan Hawkins
    That depends if you work with studios like Epic China you get a fixed rate.
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Pretty common.
  • EtotheRic
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    It's very common and they often have outsource departments.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    You just don't see all the outsourcers listed in the credits like that. Sometimes there's mention of the outsource studio but not the individuals.

My experience with outsourcing is the majority of the stuff will be decent with a few awesome pieces and a few stinkers.

As far as cleaning up stuff I typically just get them as bugs and fix them when I have time. If it's really horrible, I've seen outsource managers send it back.
  • PeterK
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    PredatorGSR, I run an outsource company, and our clients usually send us some pretty top spec models to do. We did a lot of the major models in FEAR 3, including the two main characters.

So you're 100% right, it really does differ from studio to studio. I think in the end, it works out best for everyone because a bunch of people don't get laid off after a project is complete.

check out the fear stuff if you're bored: http://www.exisinteractive.com/art-of-f-e-a-r-3/

oh, and we usually just get credited as "Exis", listing everyone's name would be tedious.
  • PredatorGSR
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Don't get me wrong, outsource studios can do really top quality work that rivals that of the main characters in terms of details and quality, however many studios tend to do main characters in house because of artistic control and how much iteration those characters go through. Thats all I meant.

Outsourcing helps avoid avoids massive layoffs, but thats also because those people don't get hired in the first place, so its a mixed bag. However, it seems to be more of a necessity these days with the scope of AAA games.
  • dpaynter26
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    if outsourcing has really gotten this bad then who is the real game studio, i mean if what you say about uncharted is true then the game was truly the passion and work of the chinese outsource studio, i mean yeah the few artists in house worked on it but i mean....this actually saddens me, ill shutup now lol
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Just 3D art doesn't make a game, dpaynter. There's a lot more to it than just the modeling and texturing.
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Just 3D art doesn't make a game, dpaynter. There's a lot more to it than just the modeling and texturing.

Yeah I think the credit is well deserved by ND. I mean, sure the outsourced stuff is great but it needs to be based on strong concepts, and a great technical team to carry it through. And the design/writing/sound is all first-rate and appears to be all in-house.

Having said that, I did kinda feel a similar way to DPaynter, it's a shame that a game so widely acclaimed for its stunning art often is credited directly to the main developer and an article will commonly say 'Naughty Dogs artists did a fantastic job with the art' when a more fair comment might be something more like 'Naughty Dog and their various outsourced teams did a great job'. Doesn't sound as good though I suppose.

One thing that doesn't seem to have been touched on in the replies here is the cost, I'm assuming (trying as hard as I can not to stereotype) that a huge factor in large-scale Chinese outsourcing is that they are paid a huge amount less than in house artists? I mean, I know it avoids the short term employment and post-project layoffs by outsourcing, but presumably there's a massive cost saving in wages too?
  • WarrenM
    if outsourcing has really gotten this bad then who is the real game studio, i mean if what you say about uncharted is true then the game was truly the passion and work of the chinese outsource studio, i mean yeah the few artists in house worked on it but i mean....this actually saddens me, ill shutup now lol
    Look at it this way .. is it better for your in-house artists to be creating damaged pillar #147 or is it better to outsource that piece and get your guys working on hero pieces or unique things that make the game special?
  • mLichy
    Well just think, GTA 5 will prob. by the most outsourced game ever, GTA IV was like 1,000 people working on it in total or something I thought?
  • Andreas
  • Fuse
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    You also have to remember that naughty dog is part of Sony so they leverage other Sony studios to help in production. Some of that additional art support comes from outsourcing "in house" so to speak. It's a similar case with a title like Killzone.

Also on a high scale title like uncharted it becomes less of an issue of cost cutting and more to do with time constraints. 2 years is not a whole lot of time.
  • IchII3D
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    This topic brings up some great points that many people new to the industry don't realise. Outsourcing is very much a reality but its something you really need to question when applying to any studio as its completely different everywhere you go.

I personally was new to the industry a few years back and didn't ask many questions, I was happy to have a job and enjoyed it. But the artist job I got ended up involving making boxes and applying reference for outsource. That was simply how that studio worked and personally it wasn't a very good fit for me so I moved on.

In stark contrast to that I haven't experienced outsourcing anything for the last two years. Production will always go up and down and outsourcing will come in and out again. But how a studio outsources there content and the effect it has on the artists job in relation to that is very important.

I personally wouldn't want to work for any studio that turned an artists job into micro managing and fixing others work as your only purpose. The best way to outsource is to separate artists who want to be creative and those that enjoy fixing and managing. Studios should always recruit 'outsource artists/managers' as a separate department, but this is by far the case.

I hope it helps anyone who might be joining the industry, just never be afraid to ask questions in any interview and really understand the working practice of the place your applying for before taking the job.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Im the sole Character Artist on site for The Secret World MMO, and the rest is outsourced. There are plenty of ways to make this work with clever systems design, and re-use.

at studios like Visceral, where team sizes were 12-20 and the work was outsourced.

It depends on how the pipeline is designed and implemented.

One thing I've heards (and wouldnt surprise me if ND did this) was to do all ZBrush/High Poly in-house, while getting them to do all the low poly, unwrapping, baking, and first texturing pass.

Most of that is pretty automated already.
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Remember every environment artist only models at ND, and they get paired with a texture artist. So the credits say 7 Environment artist...but if you think about it, its really 14+
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    yup, was us on the credits :)

From the amount of high profile studios we deal with, I'd say outsourcing is fairly common. We got like 8 of the 10 top US publishers and their studios as clients, and we're now expanding to 3D for feature film and TV, having worked on Transformers, Rango and some other movies. We're close to having 1000 artists here, still growing.

Personally I have to say I'm proud to work with these guys. The Chinese studio I worked before had the common issues people gripe about when dealing with outsourcers, but those guys here are real pros. We do modeling, sculpting (like EA sports titles), texturing, animation for chars and enviros. I guess that's why companies trust us handling their AAA content :)
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    how much does even cost to outsource usually? I mean do they go by the studioes budget or is it a fixed rate or per asset much like freelancing? I quoted a outsourcing studio and they told me like around a 1k per asset or something

As far as I know, we usually give you a quote depending on the hours and skills required. Usually we deal with a larger batches of assets rather than "we need a single character" requests.

About wages.... I think here in Shanghai, where most outsourcers (and in-sourcers are) are, the wages for office jobs and skilled labour are getting close to eastern Europe (non EU), like Ukraine, Russia, etc. Maybe they're even higher. Plus the infrastructure, direct flights from/to anywhere in the world, the economical situation is stable and there are many skilled artists available.
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Actually there are 12 credited "Environment Artists" who model and create the scenes here at ND. We also have 11 "Texture/Shader Artists" who texture our environments. Plus 3 leads who do as much work as normal Environment Artists/Texture Artists but also handle lead responsibility.

So we had 26 credited Environment Artists here at ND for Uncharted 3 if you take Environment Artist in the typical sense and dont even included Lighting Artists which would bring it up to 30 :) Kinda a big difference from the believed 7 ha.

As for the huge long list of outsourcing that is not uncommon at all. In fact that is about how much most studios use in terms of outsourcing. The difference is that ND/Sony have always been really good at crediting absolutely every single individual if they had a helping hand in making Uncharted no matter how big or small or even if the work was never used. Most of the times you will just see a studio name so your credits dont run the ridiculous 30 minuets like our did haha.

No single environment was outsourced, that was all created, and assembled in house. Things we typically outsource are unique mapped props that would require HP/Zbrush sculpts and take a few days to make. There is no point to have an Environment Artist waste time on something as trivial as a little statue or some small prop when they have a large environment to tackle. And the few 3d Artists we have on staff while they do make some of these unique assets they are also creating everything that gets destroyed.

We outsource flavor items that help populate our worlds even more, we outsource HP sculpts, collision, models to be second UV unwrapped for lightmaps, we outsource QA, for things we call Shadow Proxies which are used to cast shadows as our normal meshes dont since its too expensive. We outsource things that are too tidius or too time consuming.

All these things are needed for a huge triple A game and with games becoming more and more complex you need more and more hands on the project and we feel every person who helped contribute in someway deserves to have there named displayed :)

Edit: We have only 1 lead here at ND who deals with Outsourcing. He usually sends things back for first and second passes before the regular environment artists get the assets to put in there scenes as he knows what will and wont work. We dont spend much time fixing outsourcing assets as we have built up a great relationship with our outsourcing studios and now they know what we need and how we need it.