Home General Discussion

The future of portable/mobile gaming

buddikaman
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
Alright so, I wanted to share my prediction of what will eventually happen to the portable/mobile games market in the next several years, and see what you guys think.

It's my personal belief that around the time the iPhone 5 and iPad 3's release (1-2) years these tablets and smart phones will begin to compete directly with nintendo and Sony for the 'portable gaming' real-estate, and could in time actually become more profitable.

Let's face it, mobile gaming has always been a pretty ill respected and weak facet of the industry. Even before the iPhone the games on there have been pretty crummy as well as the technology backing them. It wasn't until recently (iPhone 3/4) that people are 'slowly' taking notice of these devices as potential gaming platforms. One example of this being Infinity Blade, a game built with the unreal engine that has amazing graphics and intuitive controls. It quickly became the fastest grossing app ever, and has sold over 13 million copy's, a remarkable achievement and in alot of ways a turning point in mobile gaming. Now all of a sudden, these devices, which in terms of gaming have always been thought of as gimmicky, with simple 2D platformers such as Angry Birds and Zombieville USA holding the reigns, can now run games with amazing unreal powered graphics and house innovative gameplay.

So as epic releases unreal tech to developers, and a slew of games begin development, a year later it's still not enough to turn heads let alone compete with Sony or nintendo. Around this time apple goes ahead and creates the A5 chip, which was initially introduced in the iPad2. Over a year later there is not one game that has come close to utilizing the full potentiall of this chip, it's THAT powerful. So as developers continue to try to cash in on the simple 2D platformers hoping to get a piece of the pie, there is not much in the way of innovation or pushing the platform forward. And so here we are, with what is slowly becoming a powerhouse gaming machine, and yet with very very few games to support this new technology. It's like having the PS3 come out but developers continue to stick to the PS2 because in there eyes, that's where the consumer base is at, and why fix what is not broken?

Epic games, without a doubt realizes this, which of course explains why they were at the apple keynote introducing Infinity Blade 2 for the iPhone 4S (A5) chip, to help promote this amazing technology and try to show people the potential for gaming on these devices.

So than you have nintendo DS and the upcoming playstation Vita. Nintendo has always dominated the portable games market, if anything because they had no real competition and also because they have a solid lineup of good games. Well what would happen if the developers of these games, realizing the potential of these devices began making there games for the iOS or android platforms? Well, it just happened a few weeks ago with scribblenaughts, a very popular nintendo DS game. It quickly became apples 'game of the week' and sold very well. What's even more amazing, is while this game cost 40$ on a nintendo DS it sold for 5-10$ on the iPhone, and that is including part 1, 2 and ten bonus levels. Why the price difference? Because it's sold digitally and does not require a publisher. This is a win/win for developers and gamers alike.

And than we have the playstation vita. Touted as the first 'next gen' gaming device with technology that rivals the current gen consoles. This is a device that's technology will not change throughout it's entire life span. Well not only will the iPad 3 and iPhone 5 have similar specs (A6 chip) we will likely see the A7 chip or higher in these devices before the vitas lifespan wears out.

So with all of this in mind, why would you 'really' need to buy these portable gaming platforms when the iOS devices are in fact just as much if not more powerful? If the same game that is awesome on the nintendo DS or Vita is on your phone or tablet and cost way cheaper? What could possibly convince the customer that spending 400$ on a DS or vita is a smarter investment than a tablet or phone that is not only more powerful gaming wise but also has all these other great features such as Internet, camera, apps, ect ect?

The only advantage I see them having is physical controls, but will that really matter that much to people when the same games are on there phone for a fraction of the cost? I think it's just a matter of time before people start to realize wow, not only can my device do all these things, but now it's a gaming machine too!

What do you guys think?

Replies

• d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    So with all of this in mind, why would you 'really' need to buy these portable gaming platforms when the iOS devices are in fact just as much if not more powerful?
    Final Fantasy, Tekken, Mario, Zelda, God of War, Uncharted, etc...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Proof: Nintendo sees Apple as more of a threat than Sony - they've had harsh words about mobile games being too low priced, the WiiU is a console you play with an iPad like device.

Could we see a future where Nintendo makes games for iOS & Android? Time travel back in time during the SEGA & Nintendo wars and tell a kid that Sonic will appear on a Nintendo console.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    iDevice developers have to develop their products to match a broad variety of hardware, not just the latest and greatest, so there's no fixed hardware to work with. For this reason alone they will not compete with Vita for a considerable length of time. The DS (and any Nintendo platform) sells especially well because of it's first party titles - Sony have the same advantage.

You can play cheaper, visually more impressiove games on the PC that are otherwise identical to their Xbox 360 counterparts. That doesn't mean that everyone does.
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver wrote: »
    Final Fantasy, Tekken, Mario, Zelda, God of War, Uncharted, etc...

Final Fantasy is out on iOS, there is even one that is a direct port of the PSP version and it is of course, half the price, with the same quality.

First party titles do help keep these devices afloat. But i dont think its enough to stop the threat of smartphones and devices completely. Especially once developers start catching on.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    buddikaman wrote: »
    Final Fantasy is out on iOS, there is even one that is a direct port of the PSP version and it is of course, half the price, with the same quality.

First party titles do help keep these devices afloat. But i dont think its enough to stop the threat of smartphones and devices completely. Especially once developers start catching on.

It's direct ports of old titles, it's not feasible to develop high budget titles for the phone market as the price-point is incredibly low as it is, and much of the market is looking for short experiences.

This is what separates and makes separation possible between handheld consoles and the iphone/android market.

The Wii has dominated the "console-wars" this time around, but yet it has not managed to consume the 360, the ps3 or the pc as platforms, it's just different markets.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I love my iphone, and i love playing games on it. but the games I play on it are not AAA games. Ive tried playing more hardcore games on it, but I couldnt get hooked in on them and found myself deleting all those games and just playing my basic time killer games.

why?
    CONTROLS!! hardcore games need hardcore controls, and phones dont have them
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Begin to compete?

I think Apple completely destroyed Nintendo's handlheld market, and it's not even close. Sony never really held a candle to Nintendo.

The only difference is there's going to be less emphasis on 'control' based games, and more emphasis on point/click type games.

d1ver it's funny you mention Final Fantasy:

Final Fantasy for ios:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAE-BF2XgiQ"]FINAL FANTASY III iOS ? Gameplay Screenshots - YouTube[/ame]

Here's Square Enix's Chaos Rings for iOS:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9oOvmu2-XU"]Chaos Rings iPhone Gameplay Video Review - AppSpy.com - YouTube[/ame]
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    The future is already here....

5.jpg
  • JacqueChoi
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think its pure speculation and myth that people are not ready to embrace the arrising smartphone and tablet market as more than a casual games market. Just because these devices are used mostly as casual games now does not mean this is the direction it will continue to go. As time goes on, i think you will start to see more and more AAA games on these platforms. Even if the games are sold for less, the fact that there are more smart phones and tablets sold every day than pc computers and consoles combined shows there is a huge market if applied correctly.

As for the future of consoles, i dont think it will be either Sony OR Nintendo that rules this roost. I think apple will innovate here as well. As quoted by Gabe Newell

"Newell believes Apple will be the ones to lead us into a post-console era, suspecting that the company "will launch a living room product that redefines people's expectations really strongly and the notion of a separate console platform will disappear."

And lastly, Squaresoft just announced there own IP's for continuing support on the apple devices, including a new RPG using the unreal engine. I would be willing to bet squaresoft, as one example, is very aware of the rising tides of this platform as shown by there massive support thus far.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Personally, I would never WANT to spend 1-4 hours playing a game on a phone when I have a computer or console available, sometimes I do get caught up in a hand held game when I'm at home, but that's because I'm already invested in it, if I could play it on the computer I would. I'd never spend $20 on Gears of War mobile, I may spend $15 on android pokemon if it will last me a month, but I can't picture someone spending much more than that on mobile games, and turn based rpgs fit the platform well. But AAA first person shooters? not so much.

Also I can't believe Epic hasn't done anything with android. Even if the iPhone became the hardcore gaming phone, I still wouldn't buy one.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    I think its pure speculation and myth that people are not ready to embrace the arrising smartphone and tablet market as more than a casual games market. Just because these devices are used mostly as casual games now does not mean this is the direction it will continue to go. As time goes on, i think you will start to see more and more AAA games on these platforms. Even if the games are sold for less, the fact that there are more smart phones and tablets sold every day than pc computers and consoles combined shows there is a huge market if applied correctly.

with only numbers you might be right and i guess there will be bigger budgets sooner or later, but unless the gamers get better controls it just won't work on the same level as real consoles would, because it just can't the touch controls in most games are just very bad and indirect, usually doesn't work for many fast games.
    While i would love to play more good games on my ipad or android phone i right now just don't see that coming without extra peripherals :/
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    ambershee wrote: »
    iDevice developers have to develop their products to match a broad variety of hardware, not just the latest and greatest, so there's no fixed hardware to work with. For this reason alone they will not compete with Vita for a considerable length of time. The DS (and any Nintendo platform) sells especially well because of it's first party titles - Sony have the same advantage.

You can play cheaper, visually more impressiove games on the PC that are otherwise identical to their Xbox 360 counterparts. That doesn't mean that everyone does.

The iPhone and iPad iterations over the years are actually very similar to code for. Thats why Apple have a very large market, there is no great difference between the code, yet the the actual power of the hardware gets greater every year. Android developers, on the other hand have had a much harder time getting their software to work on the numerous different devices, and google are now pushing for a more unified approach, to make sure that software developed with Android works on all hardware without much code change. Mobile devices actually allow more freedom in terms of what games get out there, for a start all you need is the SDK, license for £70, a device and you're away. With Nintendo and Sony you need to buy fairly expensive development kits, and get their quality approval to ship a game. If anything the rise of mobile development has allowed for more bedroom programming, the way it was back in the day.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    But to publish for iOS you need a mac, and we hate macs, didn't you get the memo?
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    ZacD wrote: »
    Personally, I would never WANT to spend 1-4 hours playing a game on a phone when I have a computer or console available.

This. Mobile gaming for me, is mainly to pass the time while waiting for the bus, or while on a bus. You'll never see me sitting down crouched over a 4 inch screen for hours, especially when I have a PC and console.

I have a feeling that the iOS gaming market will probably implode upon itself sometime in the future. I don't see it becoming "the future of gaming".
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    ZacD wrote: »
    But to publish for iOS you need a mac, and we hate macs, didn't you get the memo?

I know thats just trolling, but completely exemplifies stupid fanboyism.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophecies wrote: »
    This. Mobile gaming for me, is mainly to pass the time while waiting for the bus, or while on a bus. You'll never see me sitting down crouched over a 4 inch screen for hours, especially when I have a PC and console.

I have a feeling that the iOS gaming market will probably implode upon itself sometime in the future. I don't see it becoming "the future of gaming".

This thread is "The future of portable/mobile gaming"
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    All right, you got me there with Final Fantasy.)
    But to answer the question more fully I'd say that developers don't take it too seriously now and the rare games that might make me want to pick up a handheld are practically non existent on iOS. But all and all I don't find it so dramatic, because most "proper" games are on consoles and I very much do hope that sony and microsoft with their new hardware generation will present a lot of things that will keep them at the forefront of interactive entertainment for ~7 more years.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5i9NsvOF9o"]Gaming on Apple TV with Joypad - YouTube[/ame]

as far as I don't like flat controller , but this is roughly the concept of future gaming. decent graphic processor + affordable physical controller + total integration. = win ( whoever the manufacture is ) :)
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjgP5eNM2sY"]Real Racing 2 HD iPad 2 on a TV - YouTube[/ame]

very valid point btw. HD TV connectivity and a proper controller, a few iterations of hardware and IPad will be the platform of the future.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    d1ver wrote: »
    Real Racing 2 HD iPad 2 on a TV - YouTube

very valid point btw. HD TV connectivity and a proper controller, a few iterations of hardware and IPad will be the platform of the future.

That looks like one heck of an expensive controller. :P
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophecies wrote: »
    That looks like one heck of an expensive controller. :P

that TV is an expensive gaming system as well.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    d1ver it's funny you mention Final Fantasy:

Final Fantasy for ios:
    FINAL FANTASY III iOS ? Gameplay Screenshots - YouTube

this to PSP versions of final fantasy is like FF for gamecube to ps2 releases
    they both are parts of the same franchise, but the production quality and gameplay experience is so vastly different.
    compare to FF reishiki, 5 or 6 years in development:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoP8Alclj2g"]FINAL FANTASY ?? Trailer 01 - YouTube[/ame]
    and I don't really think anyone is going to release iOs games with 2+ GB installation and an appropriate pricetag anytime soon.
    in 2-3 years things might change, might not.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Honestly I think people make too big a deal out of cell phone gaming. Both high budget games with buttons/joysticks on the go, and cheap low budget touch screen games on the go. Neither one will replace the other. Its no different then the age old debate between PC and consoles.

The future is simple: more games going DD exclusive, lower barrier to entry for indies (via app-store equivalents and more accessible console development). I think everyone can agree on these two points.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'd suggest the next Sony hand-held system after the PSP2 will be a phone and a much more direct attempt to rival the IPhone. I'm honestly surprised that the PSP2 hasn't gone in that direction.
    Nintendo are a little less predictable and will probably continue doing their own thing for better or worse.
    There's also the sequel to the NGage that Nokia have been threatening to release for about 5 years now. Now there was a system ahead of its time.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Jackablade wrote: »
    I'd suggest the next Sony hand-held system after the PSP2 will be a phone and a much more direct attempt to rival the IPhone. I'm honestly surprised that the PSP2 hasn't gone in that direction.
    Nintendo are a little less predictable and will probably continue doing their own thing for better or worse.
    There's also the sequel to the NGage that Nokia have been threatening to release for about 5 years now. Now there was a system ahead of its time.

The NGage2 was just supposed to be software, not hardware, and sony did release a mobile phone already, they want to seperate the psp and mobile phones for a good reason: the games.

Sony-Ericsson-PSP-Mobile-Phone.jpg

As mentioned several times already though, the mobile market can only overtake the portable gaming market if it BECOMES that market, which will never happen no matter how big the mobile market becomes.

These markets will exist together, just as much as pc and consoles exist together.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Neox wrote: »
    unless the gamers get better controls it just won't work on the same level as real consoles would, because it just can't the touch controls in most games are just very bad and indirect, usually doesn't work for many fast games.
    While i would love to play more good games on my ipad or android phone i right now just don't see that coming without extra peripherals :/

this is the real issue and the only major difference between a mobile game console like psp or 3ds and a smartphone is the controls. Without sticks or buttons I feel that ios and smartphone games will never evolve into the full experiences they should be. The budgets are available and the game quality is excellent, just look at this...

http://blog.gameloft.com/index.php/2011/10/27/modern-combat-3-fallen-nation-launches-for-iphone-and-ipad/

it is amazing to see but trying to play it is soooo terrible with touch controls that I am sure most gamers just download it and play for a few minutes and then give up.

Until apple release a peripheral control interface for games or an iphone-gamer edition with built in controls the mobile games industry will be crippled.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    eld wrote: »
    The NGage2 was just supposed to be software, not hardware, and sony did release a mobile phone already, they want to seperate the psp and mobile phones for a good reason: the games.

Sony-Ericsson-PSP-Mobile-Phone.jpg

As mentioned several times already though, the mobile market can only overtake the portable gaming market if it BECOMES that market, which will never happen no matter how big the mobile market becomes.

These markets will exist together, just as much as pc and consoles exist together.
    We're talking about a few years down the line here. The Iphone is already strangling the market and as the hardware matures more, the stand along gaming hand-held will slip further and further into redundancy. It only takes one bright spark to design a phone that's ergonomic as both a gaming system and a communication device and with a processor with a decent amount of power. And a whole pile of marketing money and there's no reason at all for the existing handhelds.

Loads of studios that used to specialise in PSP and DS games have shifted their entire focus to the phone market. The big names will go where the money is. And that includes Sony. They're always slow to react but there's little chance they're going to leave that whole pie to Iphone and Android without grabbing a piece for themselves.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Jackablade wrote: »
    We're talking about a few years down the line here. The Iphone is already cutting massively into the sales of

As I've said, there's no room for the long-length high price games market on the app-market where prices are scraping the floor, nintendo and sony might want to touch it a bit, but they're not going to give up the hardcore market that quickly.

And developers on the app-market, most of who are indie-developers, are not going to start spending years on each title just to sell it for a few dollars, it would be suicide.
    They will keep developing short compressed experiences, or port over old games.

When people no longer want bigger gaming experiences, they'll drop the sony and nintendo consoles.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the mobile market can only overtake the portable gaming market if it BECOMES that market, which will never happen no matter how big the mobile market becomes.

QFT.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I thought that it was obvious that the smartphone market was already becoming the portable gaming market? If things keep going the way they are now I dont see any reason the two markets wouldnt become one.

People always thought there would be music/mp3 players(ipods etc) and phones as seperate devices, now pretty much everyone with a smartphone uses it as their mp3 player. I don't see why games wouldn't go the same way and dedicated portable gaming consoles would become more for the seriously hardcore market as people get used to having one device that is very capable of all these things. We just dont have that device yet because of the controls needed and the backing of a big name like apple.

I think the hardcore market alone isnt going to be enough for the big players to rely on as there are already quite a lot of hardcore ios/mobile games with impressive production value and things are only just getting started. Also if you look at the big games on portable gaming devices they are mostly games for the casual/young market which is exactly the kind of people mobile games are appealing to.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Ged wrote: »
    I think the hardcore market alone isnt going to be enough for the big players to rely on as there are already quite a lot of hardcore ios/mobile games with impressive production value and things are only just getting started. Also if you look at the big games on portable gaming devices they are mostly games for the casual/young market which is exactly the kind of people mobile games are appealing to.

What would be the most expensive game developed for the iphone?

I would guess something by gameloft, they have pretty high production-values, but the games they make are still pretty short relative to console games, and the price-point is low as you can't compete with the market there otherwise, even if the game was lengthy.

There's also a big future on there for free to play games, and dlc.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    What would be the most expensive game developed for the iphone?

I would guess something by gameloft, they have pretty high production-values, but the games they make are still pretty short relative to console games, and the price-point is low as you can't compete with the market there otherwise, even if the game was lengthy.

There's also a big future on there for free to play games, and dlc.

Dont know, maybe real racing 2 http://www.industrygamers.com/news/iphone-hit-real-racing-2-cost-2-million-to-make/ or some of gamelofts games or shadowgun? People dont often reveal costs or development times but where I work we try to release a fun little mobile game every few months.

I dont think there is a massive demand for expensive to develop games for the mobile or handheld market, as they are catering to mostly casual gamers, that is the beauty of it and why I feel mobile/smartphone will succeed over dedicated gaming devices as they are competing for mostly the same very large target market.

Console/PC games are a completely different market in my opinion and handheld games shouldn't be compared to that market, considering as you say the budgets are smaller, prices of games are much less and the experiences more short lived and compact. Games like shadowgun http://toucharcade.com/2011/09/29/shadowgun-review/ seem to get unfairly compared to the likes of gears of war.

I dont expect mobile development to ever be as big budget as console development but I do expect it to get closer to that as the years go by and the devices get closer to being full replacements for any hand held gaming device.

Im totally just speculating with all these ideas but I think none of this smartphone gaming supremacy will be possible without good controllers built into the phones and none of that is probably ever going to happen.

Yeah definitely seems like free to play plus social and casual games with dlc are pushing forward on these smartphones.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    true, when it comes to 7 $ price tag, the improvement in graphic engine became irrelevant to the production value.

for example today : Castlevania Symphony of Night game, that has dated graphic engine , yet have massive amount of content. yet we can't pull that same experience in the new iphone 4s yet. ( not just graphic but overall experience )
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mobile analytics firm Flurry today reports on the continuing shift in portable gaming from dedicated devices to smartphones and other multipurpose devices. According to results compiled by Flurry from NPD market research and Flurry's own mobile app data, Apple's iOS and Google's Android mobile operating systems will account for 58% of portable gaming revenue in the United States for 2011, an almost exact flip-flop from 2010 when dedicated device leaders Nintendo and Sony held 57% of the market.
    The most striking trend is that iOS and Android games have tripled their market share from roughly 20% in 2009 to nearly 60% in just two years. Simultaneously, Nintendo, the once dominant player, has been crushed down to owning about one-third of market in 2011, from having controlled more than two-thirds in 2009. Combined, iOS and Android game revenue delivered $500 million, $800 million and $1.9 billion over 2009, 2010 and 2011, respectively.
    Flurry's data for 2011 is based on estimates for the final two months of the year, but suggests that the rapid growth in gaming on smartphone platforms is showing no signs of slowing. The market dynamics of free or low-cost games sometimes supplemented by in-app purchases and played on multi-function devices versus dedicated gaming devices with relatively high-cost game titles are clearly playing out in favor of iOS and Android. The result has been a surging gaming market increasingly attracting casual gamers willing to spend a few dollars to play on their phones, while established players have seen not only their shares but also their revenue declining each year.

Nintendo has been resisting increasing pressure to bring its games to the iPhone and other platforms, sticking by its long-standing tradition of making its games exclusive to its own hardware. Flurry suggests that the rapidly-shifting landscape of portable gaming may soon bring Nintendo face-to-face with a "Nokia-like" decision whether to jump over to smartphone platforms or watch its business erode away.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blah blah Nintendo am doomed blah blah

Gee, I wonder why smart phone game sales revenue would be greater then from Sony + Nintendo? I mean, clearly the DS and PSP are in the prime of their lives right now and should be selling gangbusters. And the 3DS has such a massive library how could anyone not want to run out and buy one right now? It's a good thing too, because Sony doesn't have any upcoming handheld platforms to compete in the mobile space, and Nintendos 3DS library has reached its peak.