Home Technical Talk

UVDeluxe - a Maya Script

Hey PC, I am a Max to Maya user :(

Just getting beat up over Mayas uv tools. I came across a PC post which mentioned a script called UVDeluxe

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80319

http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/scripts-plugins/c/uvdeluxe

however I can't seem to get it to install.

i don't really understand how to make it work? in the script window in the python section i put the code uvdeluxe.createUI() and try to run it

but i get the error

# Error: NameError: name 'uvdeluxe' is not defined # // Result: scriptEditorPanel1Window|TearOffPane|scriptEditorPanel1|formLayout37|formLayout39|paneLayout1|formLayout40|tabLayout2|formLayout42|cmdScrollFieldExecuter2 //

I'm not very familiar with scripts / maya, i have some MEL ones that work fine.

also could you point in in the direction of any other maya uv tools / tuts. i can't even figure out how to move polygons around in the window :'(

-lloyd

Replies

• Optagon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optagon null
    Are you importing the script before you run it? Mel scripts are automatically loaded by Maya but not so with Python. You will need to import python modules(scripts) once per instance of Maya.

So if the script files are in ..\Documents\maya\scripts\UVDeluxe\
    Your shelf icon code should to be

from UVDeluxe import uvdeluxe
    uvdeluxe.createUI()

There is no danger in importing python modules multiple times.. if the module is already imported python will ignore it. Also, just a tip, if you want to bind a hotkey you will need to write it as mel, and parse each line as a python command;

python("from UVDeluxe import uvdeluxe");
    python("uvdeluxe.createUI()");
  • lloyd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Optagon, Thanks for the Reply :D

The mistake i was making is because I'm not very familiar with scripting in Maya,

so when I read the text file and it said

from UVDeluxe import uvdeluxe
    uvdeluxe.createUI()

I read the first line as bad English and just put "uvdeluxe.createUI()" into the python script box,

Running just "uvdeluxe.createUI()" was what was giving me the error.

So i got it working with:

" from UVDeluxe import uvdeluxe
    uvdeluxe.createUI() "

If anyone else makes this mistake, please post here so i'm not the only no0b!