Home Technical Talk

Max 2012 Render to Texture bug. Dark maps?

Im trying to use render to texture to texture in 2012 and I have never had this problem in the past. Everything im rendering out is saving out dark! Here is the basic setup.

I have an object thats textured, and I want to bake that texture out. I even just made a sphere and slapped a default bark texture on it. I want to get a diffuse map out of it, but when it renders, the file output is 50% darker then whats showing in the render frame window! If I save the renderd frame window, it saves at the proper lightness, but since I want just the diffuse, its no good. This bug happens with both diffuse filter, and complete map. Here is an example.

This happens with BOTH default scan line renders, and Vray.

body_01VRayCompleteMap.jpg

Above is the output of the render to texture tool. This is the dark file it saves.

body_01VRayCompleteMap_1.jpg

Above is the save from the frame window, with the proper colors and brightness. Since I only want the diffuse, this wont work for me.

I know 2010 and 2011 work fine since I did this a lot in both, and I even went back to Max 9 and it works just fine. Only 2012 is doing this. I tried a new sceene with new objects, materials, and shaders, same thing.

Any suggestions?

Replies