Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Temple doors

It isn't visible, but there is an asian-style door frame around these doors. Any feedback you can give me, I'd appreciate.villainous_door_to_the_villa_by_requestforgetmenots-d4dyiuh.png

Replies

• Anthy9986
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anthy9986 polycounter lvl 7
    Whats the weird artifact on the right door middle panel? Is that in the normal?
    Overall the door blends into itself too much. Outside of the normal you can't tell the different gold pieces apart. I think putting more variation in the diffuse would help.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    One thing that might help stop things from blending together is if you add a subtle bit of dirt/grime - around the bolts, in the crevices and corners of the insets, and around the keyhole.
  • YoutLeaderVal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty sure it's a lock panel. It's my teacher's normal. And thanks for the advice -- I'll get on it. I'm thinking I want some kind of spread effect on the door -- I don't know how to term it. I want to give the impression that the center of the piece is fading out, without actually fading it or darkening the edges. I had an idea earlier of putting a thin, worn layer of white paint over the middle, and blood around the outsides. I also had an image in my head of a bluish door that was orange around the middle, but I don't know how to make that idea realistic. Right now, this thing looks too loud and too well-maintained. I wanted it to look much more worn out and shitty.
  • YoutLeaderVal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, good idea, Jessica.
  • YoutLeaderVal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I've gone and done what you guys suggested. Looks a lot better, I think. Not satisfied with it yet, though. Any criticism or advice would be appreciated.
    one_spooky_poop_by_requestforgetmenots-d4e2iu7.png
  • YoutLeaderVal
  • burtonyang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your texture resolution isn't balanced on your models. The door has more resolution than the roof. The material definition needs to be worked on, like what kind of metal is it, wood, etc. I'm not sure how scratches would get in all those places. Think of how where grunge and scratches would actually be than have them randomly placed. You should post your wires and texture maps for a better critique from others too with bigger renders. Hope this helps.
  • YoutLeaderVal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice. I put the scratches there kind of stupidly. I'll get back to the door after I finish the rest. If I could get a good quality upload of it, I could show you the metal's texture better. it's supposed to be bronze. I don't think I used the right colors, but I'm going off a vague image in my head of a door in Tenchu (which I haven't found in Tenchu). Anyway, can you tell me what's a good image-hosting site?

Also, here's an update:

door_to_the_goose_kingdom_by_requestforgetmenots-d4esbxe.png
  • YoutLeaderVal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forgot to mention this is my teacher's model.