Home Technical Talk

Is this quality good enough? Please help URGENT!

Hi, there is a company interested in having me in the team so they gave me a simple texturing test, but i am unsure if this is good enough. the texture map size has to be 1024x1024 and i have to import it into UDK i have done it all but i need some crits on how it looks and if its possible to make texture maps look better at such low res. Also i am having a StaticMesh has invalid LightMapCoordinateIndex? whats that? any help please? URGENT!! anyways here is the model in game mode in UDK:

Crate.jpg

Please let me know what you think...

Thanks

Replies

• nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    texturing tes? would be good to see the unwrap of this... did they give you the model and just ask you to texture it?

I would make a high-poly crate and bake maps from that to start with... doesn't look like a very nice UVW job either.. did you uvwmap the thing?

there could be a lot of things you could do differently, but I would need more info to be able to suggest any meaningful changes... so let's see that unwrap
  • HornyRhino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright. No i made the model from scratch, i did make a high poly and then bake it to a 4096x4096 and shrunk it to 1024x1024 (Res in photoshop was 72 btw) ok here is the unwrap Diffuse:

Diffuse_1024x1024.jpg

Any info u need just ask and i will tell you.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so:

Your unwrap is really bad... Really, really, really bad. You've got a massive amount of wasted space, each board seams to be unwrapped individually in some cases??? Everything is unwraped unique. You could probably get the same texture res with a 256x256 texture.

I would highly suggest re-uving the thing, follow some tutorials, look at other people who have made similar crate assets(there has to be hundreds around if you look).

You've gotta address this foremost.

Now, post some screenshots of your highpoly, and your lowpoly untextured but showing the wireframe overlay.
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timwiese polycounter lvl 9
    1024x1024 is way more then enough to have a high quality texture on a crate. You need to fix your unwrap to use all the space, you should have hardly any empty space with just black.
  • HornyRhino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok... here is the high poly:

CrateHigh.jpg

Crate-1.jpg

quick SERIOUSE noob question wasted space = loss of quality? or just space and memory usage?
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    I would not really call that a highpoly, I would at least model out the planks and maybe even give it a sculpting pass if I was in the mood for it.

Wasted space = loss of quality, cause the more wasted texture space you have the less pixels you have to paint on, if that makes sense.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    protip: if this company is promising a profit sharing scheme, it's 99% sure to be a scam.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wasted space is all of that black space you have on your uvlayout, pixels that aren't being used at all.

You dont want 100% used space, as you should have some gaps inbetween for technical reasons(mipping etc). But you should use as much as you can, and re-use areas that wouldn't be noticeable as well.
  • HornyRhino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only problem i had with making the planks was that this is a model that is supposedly meant to be bigger than the character. yeah it makes sense.. will def keep that in mind.

I will finish it like this, and see what happens, i will tighten the space and give it a bash.
    (will re model with planks just for the sake of it. Thanks guys any other stuff you think i should know please post so i have it for future reference
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    If you have to ask, the answer is never "yes, it is acceptable quality."

that unwrap is amazingly poor. I don't think you need to sculpt this necessarily, but you need to learn how to unwrap better. Repeat some areas, pack it tighter. 1024x1024 is a ridiculous amount of texture space for a crate, this should (and could) be some sort of amazing God-Crate with that kind of texture.

As for what Racer said - if this is a company that is not offering you a steady paycheck it's a scam, go back to learning. Read this article http://www.povonline.com/cols/COL209.htm
  • HornyRhino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also, in my opinion i NEED to work on texturing skills.
    @Racer no its an indie game company. just wanted to get in so i could have some work experience in some place before i head out with the big boys (if in any chance i could make it in)

@EarthQuake: thank you, what about padding in 3Ds max baking? what does the padding actually do? thanks
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Padding, when baking in max will do this:

Grab the outlieing pixels from the bake, and "stretch" them out X number of pixels past the UV layout. This helps for mipmapping in games, as when the object is far away the texture size is decreased. So you have this border of "padding" to ensure that when it does shrink, its grabbing the right color. 4-8 or so pixels of padding on a 1024 un map is about right, and you can crank the "padding" setting in max to 64 or something. You can never have too much padding, when it comes to the baking software.

So you've got padding in your UV layout, which is the space between individual uv chunks, and then a padding setting in your baking tool, which will fill out that empty space with a border to help the texture work better ingame.

Now, this isn't to say you should leave a huge amount of empty space and let the padding fill it in, you should always try and use as much space as possible, as creatively as possible, but keep in mind that you need a little breathing room between shapes.
  • HornyRhino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha thanks guys... i will get on straight away to making this texturing look good. i have been staying awake till 2 in the morning every night just so i can work on it a few good hours. and now i get told the major problem was my spacing haha.anyways thanks a tone guys will post it once done even though i don't make it into the company.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacing is the most glaring problem, but your highpoly is a major issue too. Getting some softer edges in your high, and modeling out the planks would be a good start.

There are also additional issues with how the lowpoly is constructed, right now you've got a lot of individual mesh chunks intersecting, which isn't a terrible thing on its own, but it means you've modeled, uved and textured a good deal of area that is completely occluded(stuck into another bit of the mesh or hidden). So you're wasting time/resources working like that. It makes a bit more sense to try and model it as one seamless chunk, or just a few chunks.

I would:

A. Remodel the high entirely
    B. Rework the low
    C. Redo the uvs(obviously)

And post your progress after each step, get some feedback before proceeding onto the next step. Once you've got all of that worked out, you can go onto texturing.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    What are those planks with the pattern perpendicular to the fibers ? If it's meant to be dirt, it doesn't look great.
  • HornyRhino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @EarthQuake: Thanks, i will def keep that in mind next time, unfortunately i wont have enough time to re do the model and everything. I have until Wednesday to send it in and its already Tuesday, also i have work during the day so i wont be able to just sit at home and work on it calmly.

@Noors: i think what you are looking at is water from the rain that makes the crate wet? idk lol
  • HornyRhino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just one last question... When unwrapping i have always been told and read that when an angle is 90 Degrees or less i have to put it on its own UV island. So my question is what did you mean when you said
    each board seams to be unwrapped individually in some cases???
  • SkyWay
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    SkyWay polycounter lvl 13
    HornyRhino wrote: »
    just one last question... When unwrapping i have always been told and read that when an angle is 90 Degrees or less i have to put it on its own UV island. So my question is what did you mean when you said

El wut? I've never heard that, it goes against my common sense anyway O__o Why would you "have" to do this? What harm is there if you don't? Have you asked yourself these questions :P

I mean, when I unwrap stuff I try to stitch together as many adjacent faces as I can, to avoid any seams in my texture and to help with the texturing itself. Think of a camo pattern on a tank or something, you'd want to be able to paint it in one go, all over the tank, so that it wouldn't look detached and weird. For this you'd need to stitch most of the tanks UV faces together, to achieve a mostly seamless UV.
  • HornyRhino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seriously?? hahaha wow ok... looks like im on a completely different level! Thanks SkyWay, now i can start re-doing this texture better. (mumbles off in train of thought)
  • SkyWay
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    I do remember hearing something like what you said when talking about 3d games for Nokias phones...they had some shit like that going on there, you had to separate all your UV faces or something, or the phone couldn't render it.

Mad urban legend, I know :d
  • HornyRhino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha wow... i was seriously sidetracked haha... thanks SO much for pointing that out to me.... i had always wondered why my Maps look soo much different and messy compared to others, thanks again... still baking the Norms. Now another question Earth Quake mentioned that 4-8 padding is good for 1024 maps but how much padding do i put on 4096? to then be shrunk down to 1024. thanks
  • SkyWay
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    From the top of my head, what's 4-8 times 4? If you're going to make the texture four times smaller than the original then pad the original four times of what you want the end result to have.
  • HornyRhino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok... also now that i remembered i thought it was better to model thing separately and not on one mesh. example a Gun i have been told seen videos and read that its best to make everything separately. is that true? or am i sidetracked there as well? thanks
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    HornyRhino wrote: »
    ok... also now that i remembered i thought it was better to model thing separately and not on one mesh. example a Gun i have been told seen videos and read that its best to make everything separately. is that true? or am i sidetracked there as well? thanks

put simply.

Highpoly: split it up as much as you can. this allows you to easily add detail locally without worrying about adding loops to the rest of the model. Its lighter, cleaner and easier to manage.

Lowpoly:
    Try to keep it 1 solid mesh if you can. this means no overlapping geometry (which wastes uv space) small overlaps arent a major problem but when you get larges areas of faces being obscured you start to waste a lot of uv space on areas which will never be seen.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you have a smoothing group split/hard edge, you also need to break your uvs along that edge. Otherwise you get seams when you bake

Common advice is also, if you have angles 90 or great, you should have a hard edge there. Though it is a lot more complex than that, for UDK, it isn't a bad rule to follow. I try not to really give out this advice, but in this case, since your model generally consists of box type shapes, it applies. You do this to avoid smoothing errors(another very complex topic).

So yeah, it sort of goes together. If you have a 90 degree angle, you should have a hard edge -> if you have a hard edge, you should have a uv seam -> it all boils down to: if you have a 90 degree angle, you should have a uv seam.

RE: padding.

Why would you bake at 4096??? 4096x4096 is 16 times more resolution than 1024x1024, there just isn't any reason you would ever need to bake that high for 1024. Generally, you should be baking, and working on your textures at the resolution the asset will end up using.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    put simply.

Highpoly: split it up as much as you can. this allows you to easily add detail locally without worrying about adding loops to the rest of the model. Its lighter, cleaner and easier to manage.

Lowpoly:
    Try to keep it 1 solid mesh if you can. this means no overlapping geometry (which wastes uv space) small overlaps arent a major problem but when you get larges areas of faces being obscured you start to waste a lot of uv space on areas which will never be seen.

Right, with high you should use as many bits as possible to make modeling easier.

With low I try and only model parts separately when they need to animate or otherwise be removed, or when they will cause overlapping problems with the bake.